I can't help looking at them even though I've been warned off (weimaraner) General Chat

Discussion in 'Weimaraner' started by x-clo-x, Jun 1, 2011.

1. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    ^^ have to say I would agree
  4. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Trip was in a Flat before I took her on - it was one of the reasons she had to be rehomed.
    (Although not the only one!)
  5. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
  6. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Must admit, I love them, but after working with them I know I couldn't cope with them ;) I also love the ones with tan points, but my boss use to own one, and one of my friends BF did too, and we had ones coming into work, all of them were big dogs with a lot of energy, but I think that if your someone willing to put in the time, energy and research, are realistic and know what to expect, and everyone you live with is happy to give them a chance and know what to expect, then they can be the right breed for you, but if one of things aren't you then maybe their not ;).
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
  8. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Yeah. There is absolutely no way my Bo would be able to live in a flat, unless perhaps it was a flat with a garden, which are near impossible to get. I wouldn't do it to her as it would drive her (and me!!) mad.
  9. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
  10. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Isnt there a stpulation as to hw many dogs you can have in a council property?
  11. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I think you could be right VB.

Chloe are you still moving abroad for a wee while (or have I got the wrong person?)
  12. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Bidding and getting are two different things, they will still have a tier system, and a young couple without children and not homeless will be right at the bottom of the ladder , and will keep getting bypasses as more needy people come along.

And if and when they do offer you a property, it will more than likely be a flat, over a house, due to the fact you are two young people without dependants.

And you might even find that said council have policies regarding pets and flats.
  14. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    Can i just ask why do u need a council flat/house? Cant u find a private landlord?x
  15. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i dont want to talk about housing to be honest. this thread is meant to be about the breed weimaraner and how they are as a dog, not my housing situation.

we have never been told of any limitations of dogs ( my nan has lived in her council house for over 25 years, and at one point had 6, the council knew she had six and had no problem) My mum just moved into a council house and they said they can have as many as the like, but when they get a new dog they just have to fill a form in to say that the dog is in the house.

im not saying that i should be chosen over a family with children, and i know im low priorty on the list, however my nana lives in a HOUSE and she was one person on her own for many years until i moved in. she lives in a 3 bedroom house, and was never offered a flat just because she was on her own.
    my nana works and could afford private rent? but why should she have to give up a council house because of that? this is her home be it private rent or council.
    and no im not going to spain, i was meant to be but it fell through.

enough of the housing now please.
  16. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    The social housing situation wasn't any where near as bad 25 years ago as it is now.

And the subject of housing IS very important if you are genuinely considering a breed of this type. So it is very much relevant to the discussion.
  17. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    in my first post, it says nothing about me and housing. it says im putting in research into what dog i would maybe like next. it doesnt say "the minute i move out, be it in to a tiny flat or big house im going to buy a weimaraner"

if my housing situation wasnt suitable then i wouldnt get a dog. i like alot of breeds and i dont think there is a problem with researching alot and finding out as much as i can.
    and i would like to ask why people are bothered about what type of house i live in?? smokeybear has already said she lived in a flat with her two, yet you all havent jumped down her throat calling her a bad owner for it. i dont think it matters because of a house. there are dogs living in huge houses with big gardens that arent happy, or may be treated unfairly, the size of a house doesnt matter in my opinion.
  18. Jem

Jem New Member

Name:
    Jemma
    I was asking as u may find it easier to get your chosen breed in your in a private rented house rather than council house as the council have stopped being as liniant as they once was thats all!
  19. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    My Aunt has been told that she is allowed to keep her current dog, but if she passes away then they must obtain permission to have another

I think a lot of social housing is going the same way, and clamping down on the number of pets allowed (HA and Council)
  20. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    If you have made up your mind to get a Weim, then why don't you approach a breed rescue? They may well have some slightly older Weims who are 'easier' to handle than young dogs.
  21. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    I'm sounding like a bit of a broken record here, and although you didn't specifically mention housing, it IS a very important factor when you are considering a dog breed. I would agree that GENERALLY the size of a house with a garden does not matter. However, when we are talking about flats with no garden access, I would say for a lot of breeds this WOULD matter. Where you live is also a factor for rescues and breeders, who would not place a dog in certain living situations.

Research is obviously a good thing, but looking at the numerous threads you have posted about breeds you are interested in, maybe you need to narrow down what qualities you really want in a dog? Boxers, Setters, Pugs, Malamutes, Weimaraners, Bulldogs, etc., are all vastly, vastly different to each other.