IPO & Mushing? Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Pohm, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Pohm

Pohm New Member

Name:
    summer

IPO & Mushing?

I have seen 2 malinois mushing pulling the owner along on something, i assume a bike.

I have a 6 month old Mali pup, who is doing IPO, and that is my priority, and i dont want to impede her progress, by adding a basically 'pull on the lead' behaviour.
    For those in IPO, would this be a bad move, to add it to the training?

ive considered that the context would be entirely different, it would be on harness, not flat collar which is how i train with her in IPO. It would involve me being on a bike, instead of on foot.
    She seems to be able to work out, when we are tracking, she can lean into the lead/pull, and doesnt replicate that behaviour in OB. She does bite work on a harness, and clearly can pull against the leash restraint there.

I want to have the fun of mushing together. The other 'fun' stuff like dock diving, is pretty much her having fun while i watch and encourage from the dry.
    And she wouldnt be able to do this for another year, but training could start now.

Good idea? or stay clear?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    The sport you might have seen could be bikejoring, which uses a specific scooter-like piece of equipment. If you look back at some of the threads by BlueJay, (a recent one is titled Mush!), you can see if the sport she takes part in is the one that you mean.
    I am sure that @BlueJay would be able to answer your specific query when she is around, but my own opinion is that dogs are perfectly able to recognise what is expected of them when they are working in different modes. Many performance dogs compete in more than one discipline, and a good trainer will help you to overcome any problems that might arise.
  4. Pohm

Pohm New Member

Name:
    summer
    Thanks Carole, i'll pm bluejay, and ask my trainer on friday.
  5. Pohm

Pohm New Member

Name:
    summer
    i cant find blue jay on here. not recognised?
    but i have thought that, if this involves a scooter. My knees wont take it. If it is a bike, i can do it. So it has to be a bike.
    For me.
    But when i look up bejoring, that's what i want to do, i think. There are loads of different types. I'll have to read up a bit.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The person you want is BlueJay [capital initials] @BlueJay but she uses a scooter, not a bike.
  7. Pohm

Pohm New Member

Name:
    summer
    thank you Malka.
    er, out of curiosity i got my bike out, and walked her and bike. All good. Then i got on bike, and peddled slowly, she followed. Then i came to a down hill, and we gained some speed. And she lit up, and loved the speed! Not sure about th we scooter for me personally. But defo the way i am walking her now. at least one of the walks anyhow. :) its fun, dangerous and stupid, and a LOT of fun:) In my 50's i dont bounce too well. hey ho. you only live once
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @Pohm On the Forums page, scroll down to Forums by Dog Type - select. Scroll down to the last box - Lurcher - select. The first item is titled MUSH! and is posted by Blue Jay, though the last contributor is shown as GsdSlave.
  9. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Hello :)

Bikes and scooters - as far as the dog is concerned - are exactly the same.
    If you're attaching her to anything with wheels out front, it is incredibly dangerous to do without teaching her commands; left, right, go, slow down, on by.... at the very least, a good solid STOP.
    She is too young to do anything properly now, as you rightly say, but you can teach her the commands on normal walks, no fancy bike gear necessary.
    Be careful of what you are doing now; I assume your are on roads/pavement vs grass or soft ground? Forced exercise on ground with no give can potentially damage her growing joints and muscles.

There's no reason you can't add mushing to anything else you're doing; dogs are very clever and can very easily pick up what is appropriate when wearing different equipment.

Smaller than a mal, she loves it:
    Erin.jpg
    14917224_10155067343833912_574420873097622433_o (1).jpg
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  10. Pohm

Pohm New Member

Name:
    summer
    we are on soft ground. .
    She has a few months, before i would want to start her. And sure is dangerous! and, fun.
    its in a paddock, and im not that fast cycling on grass:)
  11. Pohm

Pohm New Member

Name:
    summer
    beautiful photos!