Is the Belgian Malinois the breed for me? Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by DogsRMyLife, Jan 10, 2017.

1. DogsRMyLife

DogsRMyLife New Member

Name:
    HappyDog

Is the Belgian Malinois the breed for me?

Hello everyone I need some help deciding of the Belgian Malinios is the dog for me. So I will give a few things about myself and the exercise I'm capable of getting him.

Although I live with my family he will not be home often, so that will not matter and my siblings are all older 8+. There all fairly mature, and know not to mess with the dogs too much. We have a medium size fenced in area and larger not fenced in area. But we have a park across the road and a dog park a couple miles from us.

Second off, I work at doggy daycare/dog boarding/pet store/Training(obedience and more)/agility course/pet grooming place. It literally has everything! And I can bring my Mal with they said if I get one. My Mal will be outside with the puppies when he is younger and in with me training when its to cold or rainy out or they just come in for rest. And when he is younger he can go out with the adult dogs from daycarw and come in periodically for a small training session. I LOVE training! My 6 year old Great Dane knows a ton of tricks and commands I taught him personally. I do almost all completely praise/reward with few rough/harsh voice and I NEVER hit my dog. And if I get bad at my dog and make him do one good trick and then were done. Cause I know you have to end on a good note. So here's a schedule I made up of what my usual weekday should be.

(ALL of my dogs know there bite command and know they can only use it when I say there special word)

5:00 - 5:30 = Getting Ready
    5:30 - 6:00 = Train Dogs with excess time in walk
    6:00 - 7:30 = Walk Time (Just the Mal, I jog) (Rain, Shine, or Snow)
    7:30 - 8:00 = Go to work
    8am - 5pm = At work
    (Dogs get let out all day and can come in whenever they choose, and at my break he will do agility with me at there agility course. And he will also be protector of the store when I leave for a sec or while I'm there. And he will have periodic small training session throughout the day)
    5pm - 5:30 = Go Home
    5:30 - 6:00 = Training time for double dog
    6:00 - 6:30 = Dinner Time
    6:30 - 7:30 = Walk Time for both dogs (leisurely walk and off the leash time, sometimes go to dog park)
    7:30 till whenever I'm tired - relaxing on the couch while watching a few shows with one exhausted and one a little tired dog in my lap or beside me.

I'm a training finatic! And my dogs have to know the basic commands by the time there 11 weeks old. And so far all of them have.

The basic commands I teach are =
    Sit
    Down
    Stay
    Come
    Heel (takes a little longer)

Simple fun ones =
    Sit on weird wobbly stuff
    Rollover
    Paw/Shake
    Twirl/Spin
    Fetch

Advanced Obedience/Fun Tricks =
    Down Stay
    Jump of stuff to catch a Frisbee (my back ect)
    Sit Pretty
    Spiderman (walk on it forlegs only)
    Jumping through stuff (my arms, a hula hoop, ect)
    Stand from a down or sit
    Sit from a down
    Heel without a leash
    Fetch different objects (a tissue, a pair of keys, toy ect)
    Look to the right/left

And tons more! My Great Dane has conquered most of these. Please tell me below if you think I could make it with a Mal. Oh I forgot one thing, I don't know how to say this. I'm fairly stern/overpowering. What i mean is that I think I can keep him under control and I have worked with horses since is was 7 and am fairly strong if I needed to use it. If you don't think a Mal would fit in my life please post a dog breed or dog breeds you think might work better. I need a dog that's fairly easy to train and intelligent and willing to please. Because I love to train for as long and as much as I can.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nugget180

Nugget180 New Member

Name:
    Gary
    Maybe do some research but if think a Mal won't work for you maybe you have your answer but as breeds go if I had to suggest one maybe a Australian sheperd as they are highly intelligent breed