Jack Russell- leg pain General Chat

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Hannah Lucas, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Hannah Lucas

Hannah Lucas New Member

Name:
    Hannah Lucas

Jack Russell- leg pain

Hi there

I have a two year old male jack Russell who has been castrated when he was about 1.

I've had him at the vets in last 4 months, for what we thought was back pain. He was given pain relief and told to rest for a few weeks. He has been fine but on a walk today I noticed he look in pain when lifting his leg to pee. It is the same leg/side he was sore on previously but the vet couldn't find a cause to it. If I touch in his groin on the left side he gets incredibly tense and will sometimes growl.

Any ideas?

Thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Hanna,
    This sounds as if it could be either hip or lower back pain. I think I would go back to the vet and let him know that your dog is still experiencing pain. Did the vet take any X-rays?
    In the meantime I would rest the dog and definitely do not let him jump on or off furniture or similar objects.
  4. Hannah Lucas

Hannah Lucas New Member

Name:
    Hannah Lucas
    Thanks for the reply. Didn't do X-rays at the time - just pain Med's

Yeah think will def need to go back to vets, they did worry it might be lower back pain but hoped would heal with rest. Been 4 months now.

He is totally fine most of the time just sometimes it's like he has tweaked something and does a little skip when walking.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    The little skip may be from his stifle (knee) joint. This can often be seen in JRT's, but should not cause pain in his groin area. I think a couple of x-rays might provide the answer. As advised before, no jumping or over exertion until he has been diagnosed.
    Best wishes.