Jack Russell's health. Health

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Daniel123456789, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Daniel123456789

Daniel123456789 New Member

Name:
    Daniel123456789

Jack Russell's health.

My Mum's Jack Russell hasn't been well recently and I thought I would give this forum a go to see if anyone has experienced anything similar, as the vets have not been overly helpful.

He has been collapsing and finding it difficult to stand up again. This usually happens when he is out for walks and sees other dogs. The vets put him on heart medication but it made no difference and they have now said that they think it is 'reverse sneezing' but we're not sure.

I have a video of one of his episodes but can't find a way to upload it into the thread.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Daniel, welcome to Breedia.
    I suggest that you have a look at reverse sneezing on YouTube. I know there are several videos showing it on there, some of which also show you how you can control it by briefly covering the dog's nostrils. If the pictures do not match with what your Mum's dog is doing, at least that rules out one cause. It could be caused by excitement, or possibly a throat condition, but I have never heard of this being a serious worry.
    I do not like your use of the word collapsed though - do you mean a loss of consciousness, or a falling condition? If so, this definitely needs further investigation. If you are not happy with your vet's diagnosis, I would consult another vet.
  4. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    My dog is fat and occasionally has bouts of reverse sneezing. Closing off his nostrils, thwapping his ribs firmly, or yelling at him stops them.