Leonberger Advice - Would like to hear your experiences? General Chat

Discussion in 'Leonberger' started by Smurfie, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Smurfie

Smurfie New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Thank you Hectorsmum, that's great advice!! :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Becks169

Becks169 New Member

Name:
    Rebekah
    Hi Smurfie,

I've only just joined this site myself and just found this thread.

I have 2 bitches - one as a pup and one rescued. Gem, the rescue, is very laid back and will only move if it is in her interest to do so - she makes a great draft excluder! Elsa is a complete headcase and has only just started to calm down (at 4 yrs old!) My husband and I used to joke that she was a collie x springer in a Leo's body as we could spend hours walking her, playing with her and training her and when we were finally exhausted she would look at us as though to say "well, is that it?" But I wouldn't have her any other way :).

Gem weighs about 48kgs but Elsa is about 55kgs at the moment as she always "coats up" over winter.

You will love having a leo - but be prepared to make each walk twice as long as normal as everyone will want to stop to fuss the "pony/lion/scary beast"!

Enjoy your puppy and don't give up if he starts to become a handful as there are plenty of Leo people who will be able to help with any situation xxx
  4. LoweherzLeos

LoweherzLeos New Member

Name:
    Tanya
    to be honest, i'd highly recommend a leonberger to a novice owner, providing you keep them disciplined ie no means no. no jumping up, no settee etc (in my view, but each to there own) then they are pretty good at remembering. the thing that really suffers during the "flight" period is the recall, unfortunately!

i have had many breeds before finding my love in the leonberger, and knowing what i do now, i'll never have anything else, they are soooo easy to live with providing that you dont mind permanent wet floors, you'll get on fine.

grooming is easy too providing you keep on top of it. everywhere recommends once a week, but i like to do at least everyother day, just a 5 minute flick through with a comb does the trick, especially behind the ears, frilly knickers and arm pits. i use a comb because a brush can break the hair, although many people recommend a brush, i have sold all mine and now use nothing but a comb! :grin:

welcome to the breed
  5. LoweherzLeos

LoweherzLeos New Member

Name:
    Tanya
    meet McCartney
    [​IMG]

and McCartney with sister coco, Coco on left, McCartney on Right
    [​IMG]
  6. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    Very well put and I would totally agree :grin:

Ivan is the most well behaved dog at home. So laid back and you have to step over him as he loves to lay in doorways.

Unfortunately for me his recall suffered through the teenage phase and have been unable to get it back 100%. He will come back eventually, so he stays on a long line. He did push the boundaries at first but consistancy won him back round.

He is a darling of a dog and captures eveyones heart who meets him. He loves everyone and everything xx
  7. roxi

roxi New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    Just wanted to say what a beautiful breed, They have caught my eye at a show....stunning!
    Interesting thread ;)
  8. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Good luck with your Leo baby!!! They are lovely dogs!:)