Malinois coat types Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Nhjost, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Nhjost

Nhjost New Member

Name:
    Nhjost

Malinois coat types

Hi, all,

I've seen long and short haired Belgian malinois and was wondering if one is actually the "standard"? Also, I've seen a couple individuals come into the facility where I work who don't have the bulky long hair coats, but rather nice and sleek long hair with no "poof" to it. They were absolutely beautiful but I'm curious as to whether this is just a rare occurrence, rather than a breeding goal.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    To be honest, I don't know. A Malinois should have a short, harsh textured coat, which has an undercoat. It should not look fluffy or puffed up. It is possible that a neutered Malinois could develop a slightly longer and softer coat, but the coat is the main feature which distinguishes it from its long coated relative, the Tervuren.
    The four types of Belgian Shepherd dogs have maintained separate registers in the UK for many years, but I have been told (on this forum) that interbreeding is still permitted in the US, and you can get both breed types in one litter. If you are from the western side of the pond, I'm guessing that this might be the reason for finding such a marked variation in coats.