Need some help if possible guys (Bernese breeders) Questions

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by Lynn, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Thank you really appreciate your reply. :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Lynn I just googled quickly (as I have never had a Berner, the site isnt UK) looks like you should have parents thyroid tested, look for history of causes of death/longevity etc in the dogs in his pedigree too - is there a Berner site you can do this on?

http://www.bmdcc.ca/health_issues.htm
  4. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Hi Lynn, I have a list everytime I breed but still advertise on CD, in fact most of the top welshie breeders are on there at some point. Even in my small breed there's always people changing there minds etc. It wouldn't bother me too much and in fact CD wont let you put a litter on unless the relevant health checks are in place.
    I'd contact the breed clubs if I was you hun.
    PS so glad you've decided to get another Bernie I'd love one if I had the room xx
  5. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Thanks for that link that is American I will google about the English breeding tests so far my search has only brought up hip and elbow scoring. I will delve a little deeper.

I can go on the bernergarde site but you need the pedigree I looked up Ollies once and only one had the death listed it was cancer at 6 his great grandfather or grandfather if I remember rightly I wou ldhave to go check again to see which one it was. . A lot of the others had no information just deceased no reasons.

I am sure if I google some of the pedigrees I am looking into I can find out some more information. The internet is a wonderful place.
  6. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Thank you I will. I have a vision in my head already of a little berner teddy bear causing havoc its just what I need.
  7. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
  8. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    CD ? Champ dogs ? Sorry just a bit confused because I've been researching for a pup and have looked at loads on champ dogs and not all have the relevant health checks or do you mean those health tests listed as necessary by the KC cos in the breed I'm looking at although there are lots of health issues no tests are listed by the kc and yet the best breeders test for all sorts.
    :?
  9. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Yes meant Champ Dogs but some times dogsey's filters wont let you put it in full.
    And I meant the ones recommended by the KC. I realise they don't ask for everything but in Welshie the only tests we need are the KC ones.
  10. Dobermann

Dobermann New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    exactly

Lynn, you may want to research the type of VWD's that Berners are prone to too - there are DNA tests for this in some cases and so you should know if they are clear or carrier and you do not want an affected!!
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    OK just clarifying Thanks 8)
  12. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
  13. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    Oh Lynn I am so happy you have decided to go for another Bernese. I know how it is these dogs get under your skin and no matter what you have been through you can't imagine your life without one.
    Please don't beat yourself up about Ollie's breeder. From what you have said before he was your first pedigree dog and in my opinion his breeder really ticked all the boxes. You had done your research and couldn't have known what was going to happen re his fear aggression nor his health.
    Please try and enjoy the search for your new pup. By all means take it seriously, which you already are, but it is very exciting and as you say just what you need so enjoy. Your past experience and all your research will now help you to make an informed decision.
    Best of luck and happy hunting xx
  14. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Thanks for all the links guys I will take a look now.

Nicci thank you I am going to enjoy the hunt for my new pup I am wondering what I am letting myself in for though again. :lol: Must admit I wasn't planning on doing all the puppy stuff again or this quick but I suppose better to do it now while age is on my side just. :roll:
  15. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Good luck with your search Lynn, I bet Ollie will guide you to the next baby in your life xx
  16. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I have to fess, I have a huge BMD soft spot, ever since I saw one in Holland in 2000 (ish) Amber was her name and so pretty.

I do have a bit of a collection of BMD books (and one or two ornaments) sad sap LOL

I hope you manage to find one Lynn.

(btw have you considered a rescue?)
  17. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    We did but they either have dodgy temperaments and we have to consider the Grandchildren visiting or health issues. I know we could face that again but at the moment taking on one with health issues would not be the way to go after losing Ollie so early in life.
  18. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I think you can only do your best Lynn - try not to beat yourself up about things in the past. I researched for over a year and it didn't do us any good. I'm glad Rocky came to us tho because like you, I don't think anyone else would have stuck by him as much. I'm pretty sure Ollie couldn't have asked for a better owner.

Again like you - I too would be very worried about getting another pup, but if I did, health would be the most important thing. I'd want to know:

• Have the parents had every health test the breed club recommends?
    • Have the parents had any disease or ailments (I'd want their full medical history)
    • Are the grandparents still alive? And what is their medical history?
    • Absolutely no inbreeding or line breeding in the pups parents or grandparents case.

In my mind a good breeder would know about the medical history of their pups parents and grandparents - and only breed from completely healthy parents who themselves have had completely healthy parents. In fact I think the grandparents medical history might be a good way to determine what you might expect. I would want to see how old they got, or if passed away that they got to a ripe ol age and died from old age, rather than a disease or illness.

I know it's a huge undertaking - we're here with you all the way xx
  19. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Thanks all I have sent an e-mail to a man called Steve Green one of the links given to me he is a member and I think founder of the Bernse Mountain dog club of Great Britain. He started in 1998 sending out forms to Bernese breeders/owners re: their dogs and the longevity and mortality of their lines and from there things grew so I figured he would be a good person to contact and ask if there are any other tests other than hip and elbow scores which is all I can find they need and some pointers if possible to breeders who breed for health and temperament.

So watch this space.

Azz its a minefield and having encountered problems like we both have it makes you so wary.

You guys have really helped me today see things more clearly and made me feel less guilty about Ollie which Gorden is very grateful for he had to sort out the doubt in my mind yesterday after my phone call and the floods of tears again.

You're the best. :grin:
  20. Suejaw

Suejaw New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Hi Lynn,

I'm Rachel's friend who someone has mentioned on this thread.
    There are some very good breeders in Bernese, but some who are clearly in it for the money and/or recognition in how they do in the ring :-(

Steve Green is a brilliant person to get in contact with regarding breeders and litters.

If you PM me I'll happily go into more details with you, if not then I am on the other forum CD which you can find me for a PM x

Don't beat yourself up about Ollie, you did your best and there are no guarentee's in life, so even with the best intentions with regards a breeder things don't always pan out the best. Also as someone else has mentioned there is a lot of nasty bitching that goes on between breeders, they get on, then they fall out etc..

But what I go for is someone who doesn't breed lots of litters in a given year, health tests prior to breeding and doesn't ignore the results, temperaments are paramount too in both sire and dam. Also you want good feedback from others who have had puppies in which the breeder is prepared to help and give good advice throughout the lifetime of your dog and really care about it and not what it fills their back pocket with...
  21. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Also dont forget that on CD it does have 'signs' next to breeders that health test, problem is to have that sign next to your name I believe - you have to pay - so not all breeders do!