New 10 month old gsp proving a challenge! Introductions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by K.murph16, May 23, 2017.

1. K.murph16

K.murph16 New Member

Name:
    Kathryn

New 10 month old gsp proving a challenge!

hi all,
    We recently rescued a ten month old gsp from a neglectful home. By the looks of it, she was well cared for in terms of food and warmth but has never been trained or run enough. We have had gsps before but this is a whole new ball game. She is totally deaf to commands and training, pulls with so much force on the lead I can barely control her and jumps over everyone that comes near or totally ignores us! Any pointers (pun intended haha) on how we can bring her training up to scratch? We live on acerage so she has plenty of room to run through the day off leash and I take her for a five km run most afternoons so excecise isn't a problem but trying to teach her even basic commands like sit and stay are exasperating as she loses interest and wanders off and will not return no matter how much we call and bribe!! My daughter is desperate to play and love her but at the moment gets knocked over by her on a regular basis!

Thanks in advance!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    For your own comfort, I would use a headcollar, (Flexi or similar), on her while she is learning to walk at heel. To avoid straining her neck muscles, use a double ended lead, and attach the other end to her collar or harness. When she attempts to forge forward, check her with the collar, but gently guide the direction of travel with the headcollar. Initially, reward her for quite short lengths of walking under control.
    Do you have access to small fenced area where you can practice recall? A tennis court is ideal as there are so few distractions and it is easier for her to focus on you. If she is really out of control, use a long line to make sure she does come every time you call her. Always use her name with your recall command, and reward with either a tit bit or a game with a toy.
    Don't try to teach too much at the same session. Decide what is the most important for your daily life, and work on that. Practice, 'Watch Me', frequently, and reward her for making eye contact with you. (She is going to need a lot of rewards, remember to knock a little off her food ration).
    I think it would help you to join a training club, or have a few lessons from a positive methodology trainer. There are some very good books available, I like Lesley McDevett Control Unleashed, Jean Donaldson, The Culture Clash, and anything by Patricia McConnell.
  4. K.murph16

K.murph16 New Member

Name:
    Kathryn
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks so much for your help! All great ideas. We have a dog behaviourist friend who I said coming over in a couple of weeks. The whole listening thing is definitely top of the list for me so 'watch me' is a great place to start thanks I hadn't even thought of that! Fingers crossed we see some improvement, she's a beautiful girl and will be an incredible dog once we get her trained up!