New here, is this a RR? Introductions

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by KayJaMikel, Jul 10, 2016.

1. KayJaMikel

KayJaMikel New Member

Name:
    None yet, not sure I am keeping her.

New here, is this a RR?

[​IMG][/url]image hosting services[/IMG] [​IMG]image hosting services

Is this a Ridgeback? Okay let me explain. Hi by the way. I am in WV. I own a Basset hound and a few cats, a Senegal parrot, and 3 human children. Friday, there was this dog running in the cemetery by my house and in and out of the street. The pic above is the dog that was running around the street. I watched 2 cars almost hit her. She is a female, and I think in heat. Her you know what looks like it is in heat from having female dogs in the past. She came right to me. Any-who, I called Animal control and they told me they were too busy to come get her, let her out again (Yes, they told me this) and/or call back on Monday. I have an ad on CL, on FB, called the local vets offices and left my name/number, etc. Even posted on the local Topix site which killed me to do because it is mostly jerks posting inappropriate stuff. Any-who, the closest I have had to a response is one of the vets called me back and said she had a client with a RR and was trying to reach her to see if her dog is missing. That was Friday afternoon and have heard nothing since. She seems like a family dog because her nails are short (and I have a heck of time cutting my Basset's nails so somebody has to be cutting her nails), is clean, no fleas that i see, etc. Had no collar on. I doubt she is micro-chipped but I am not sure. I just assume my area does not microchip that often. Since all this, I am growing very attached to her. She is super sweet. Loves my dog (Male who is neutered), and my cats (although wish she would just get over the cats). She seems very fearful of men, not boys, but men, and hides whenever a man comes around (my hubby). If somebody come to the door, she hides. She will eat my house if I let her compared to my very picky basset hound. At first I was not sure her breed, but after a while it just hit me, she looks like a Ridgeback so googled and I think she looks like a RR, but does not have the opposite stripe of hair, just a discolored stripe, but it goes the same way as the rest of the hair. Her hair seems coarse to me compared to my Bassett's. She seems young. Full of energy. Afraid of the outside or to walk on a leash. Can pull her neck out of any collar. Anyway, any opinions on what I should do. Of course, if somebody calls missing her, I would gladly return her, but I don't want to make her go to a pound or Animal Control to sit in a cage. I am home 24/7, so she does not need to be crated and she seems house broken, so far 1 accident in house since Friday.

The biggest problem so far seems to be my Basset is jealous and the RR (who I am calling Goofy right now), thinks everything is hers. No fighting or anything, but I look at my Bassets eyes all sad and feel bad. She also is very high maintenance right now and scared of outside so it is hard to walk her and I can't have her pulling her head out of every collar. The only other problem is even though I am in a house, there are 3 semi-apartments in this house, so I have upstairs and downstairs neighbors, so when the 2 dogs play, my basset barks his head off, and I can't let this go on because there would be complaints (even though my LL was here when the dog was found running in the street and she saw me take her in). But, she is so sweet and I am becoming quickly attached.

Any suggestions or ideas. What would you all do?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Not a RR, no.
    Looks like a hound of some sort to me. Redbone coonhound?
  4. KayJaMikel

KayJaMikel New Member

Name:
    I don't know. I really think she looks like a RR. Maybe a standing picture. I don't think she looks like a coonhound, but I am no expert. I doubt she is a pure breed but maybe a mix. She is very smallish, tall, but compared to my basset, is tiny, but very tall. Thanks for the suggestion.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think she is a crossbred hound of some kind, but couldn't guess more than that.
    Whatever, she is beautiful, and I don't think I will be able to hand her in to a shelter either. The ideal solution would be to track down her owner, but if they haven't been actively searching for her, they may not want her back.
    Do you think there any chance that she might be able to lead you to her home if you put her on a longish leash and asked her to, 'Go find your Mum'? Have you notified all the local shelters, in case her owners have been enquiring whether she has been handed in? You could also put up some photo posters on lamp posts, or park gates.
    Good luck with her - keep us posted.
  6. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    If she is a hound/houndy mix, she could be part of a hunt thats gone AWOL
  7. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    I would also say a mix, maybe some RR in there but I see a lot of Redbone Coonhound
  8. KayJaMikel

KayJaMikel New Member

Name:
    Yes, I have called everybody in my area, gave my name, number, sent pics, told where she was found, etc. Only thing I have not done is put signs up but I am making those tonight. Well, the Pound I have called a few times, but they did not answer the phone, so posted a post on their FB page and emailed them. I will call them tomorrow too probably to ask if anybody has called. I was thinking they dumped her myself, but I don't know for sure. I guess what made me think that is she is very afraid of men. She hides around men. I guess that does not mean anything though. I still have not decided. But, I will be making more calls tomorrow.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  9. KayJaMikel

KayJaMikel New Member

Name:
    I googled the redbone, and she looks nothing like that to me. Her ears are much shorter and she is not as red, more brown, and very petite. Maybe she is a puppy and they have not grown in all the way. She hardly ever barks. And she has a definite stripe (Darker coloration) down her back as the RR's do. It just does not go in a different direction. Maybe she is a coonhound/rr mix, LOL.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    To me the ears look more Beagle length - see avatar. The RR is quite a substantial breed, and you say she is quite small. Could you post a standing pic. next to something like a can of dog food, as a size guide?
    Her behaviour around the cemetery sounds as if she was disoriented - possibly dumped from a vehicle, or led astray by a male if she is in season? I hope she wasn't too far into her season - maybe a contraceptive injection might be a wise precaution. There is one which can be used up to a couple of weeks after a suspected mating.
    I think your Basset dog will settle, and eventually welcome, her presence. I have rehomed or rescued Beagles, and though they might not love each other, these breeds do have the instinct to be a pack. Everything tends to calm down after the initial jealousies, (usually food and toys), of the first couple weeks. After that, they only get noisy when they have a hooley round the garden, or someone comes to the door.
  11. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    She's definitely not a RR. No doubt a mix of some type of hound.
  12. KayJaMikel

KayJaMikel New Member

Name:
    Okay, all, thanks for your opinions. Now, since I have no idea what type of dog it is, I guess my posts do not belong in the RR section. Weird, as soon as I pulled up a photo of a RR, my son screamed, that's her. Still don't know what I am going to do. Have heard nothing from anybody. I am really having a hard time thinking of calling animal control to let her go sit in a cage for how long until maybe they put her to sleep. But, I really should not keep her. She is not fixed, I cannot afford to fix her right now. My dog is fixed, thankfully. She is not the least bit trained (thankfully seems to be potty trained), does not sit, lay down, nothing. She comes pretty good I guess. She is horrible to walk on a leash. I don't know.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Another thought - does anyone think she could have some Vizsla blood there?
  14. KayJaMikel

KayJaMikel New Member

Name:
    Hmm, she does look like that. What is getting me is her height, her leg length. Otherwise, I would just think mutt. Reminds me of a deer.
  15. KayJaMikel

KayJaMikel New Member

Name:
    The 2 of them, my dog and her, play great together. The play so much I have to stop them sometimes because they get loud. She loves the cats, in particular one cat I have is not the slightest bit afraid of dogs and comes right up to them. She sleeps in bed with me. She is adorable. What to do, what to do, what to do.
  16. KayJaMikel

KayJaMikel New Member

Name:
    She does not seem to be a hound. There is no noise from her. My bassett, OMG, could deafen me. This dog is quiet. She has not barked. She whines a bit, but nothing loud. When I did hear her bark once or twice, it was quiet.
  17. KayJaMikel

KayJaMikel New Member

Name:
    Trying to get a standing picture, but she is so quick when standing that the pic blurs. I can get plenty laying pics.
  18. KayJaMikel

KayJaMikel New Member

Name:
    Malka, LMost and CaroleC like this.
    Finally, a standing picture. IMG_0448.JPG
  19. KayJaMikel

KayJaMikel New Member

Name:
    I say she is tiny because of my Basset. My Basset is much thicker. However, she towers over my Basset.

Maybe, I just think she is super tall because the Basset is short and low to the ground?
  20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Wow, she is very nice. She could easily be a half grown Vizsla, which must increase the chances of her being claimed. They can be a bit scatty as youngsters! I would see a vet about that injection, just in case she has been mated, and also get them to scan for a microchip. Keep a record of your expenditure in case she is claimed.
    I would carry on trying to trace the owner for the next few weeks, and would notify the Police Dept., in writing, that you are caring for her, and of the steps that you have taken to try and find her owner. Do you have an equivalent of our DogLost site? If there is, you could look to see if her details have been listed on there.
    Try not to bond too closely for a few weeks in case you get your heart broken, but even if she is claimed, you will still have the inner glow of having saved her life. Best Wishes.
  21. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    No, some type of hound mix.

Head is wrong, Top of the head slope is not right, general build of snot and nose are wrong.
    No ridge (though some purebred can have no ridge, pretty rare).
    General build is not quite right. (Though quite similar standing pic.)