Northern Inuits Questions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Tan's mum, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Tan's mum

Tan's mum New Member

Name:
    eve

Northern Inuits

hi there am researching the NI breed as am quite taken by them and would possible be looking into getting one in a few years, can any NI owners give me an idea on what living with one is like, i have read all the breed stats already so am really interested in peoples own experiences on owning one
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hello,

We have a 6 1/2 month old NI bitch called Ela. For me the key thing with an NI is the same as with any large dog they need to be taught good manners at an early age and for this to be consistant. Ela has hit the hormonal teenage stage and is now testing the boundries we have laid out for her (such as reacall when she sees a boy dog!).

Life with an NI can be challanging, they are not a first time dog by any means, but very rewarding. Training has to be interesting and fun or you will lose them very quickly. All the dogs i have met are very friendly (Ela is still a little shy but we are working on that) and will greet anyone like a long lost friend. Camping at shows if fun when your tent is invaded by about 10 at once! Which leads onto my next point NI's are very nosey and have to be involved in EVERYTHING. They are a part of the family and expect to be treated as such. I would also not say they would be good in a one dog home (unless you are there most of the day) as Ela loves our other dog Cassie and watching them play together, or snuggle on there bed together is a joy.

So there is a few point but feel free to ask for more info. .
  4. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Ok where do we start.

I got my Ni at 6 months as a re-home as he was a bit naughty. We resolved these issues very quickly and he is an amazing dog. Great with kids yet iniatially jumped up but learnt quickly not to.
    You need to be a firm owner as they are large dogs and therefore could inflict serious damage so firm training using positive methods is imperative.
    Many I know have iffy stomachs so often are on sensitive foods.
    The breed is plagued by a few issues such as epilepsy, HD and a few others so need to research.
    It has been proved that dogs with lots of the Mahlek lines in have been throwing genetic problems due to imbreeding and this includes temperament so ask to see a 5 generation pedigree, and ask one of the guys on here like Borderdawn, Shona, Patch to have a look at it for you as they have researched many of these pedigrees.
    They make horrendous only dogs often will destroy the house they need canine company IMHO.
    Very loving and loyal.
    The shedding of hair is awful as well so be prepared to groom quite a bit and have your house covered in hair.
    If you would like more info Pm and can send you a link with extra info hun.
    Have you looked at the Saarloos they are very similar without so many of the issues.
    let us know how you get on
  5. Tan's mum

Tan's mum New Member

Name:
    eve
    well hopefully would be getting one in a few years so will (if he doesn't do anything stupid) still have Tan, are there many in rescues as would ideally get a rescue dog rather than a pedigree
    can they be left alone for short periods? i am a cleaner so therefore am only at work 2/3 hours at a time, the way i work it is i do 3 hours am then 2 hours at home then 2 hours pm would this be viable?
    what is insurance like on the NI's? are they an easy breed to find insurance for or has anyone run into problems in this respect?
  6. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    At the minute Pet Plan insure at a good rate although I do feel with current health problems coming to light this may increase in next few years.
    Some insurance companys wont insure NIs.
    I have never had my Ni on his own but as life does occasionally throw some things up Kato has been left for 5 hours or so and is fine not a peep but he has the others for company and they have a large outdoor run with there own massive shed with sofas and stuff in case it rains.
    He never ever barks still really havent heard him bark yet and he is one next week, although he is a sissy and can cry.
  7. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    You shouldn't have a problem with insurance as despite the breeding plan they are still a cross breed aren't they? Can't you just insure them as a GSD type cross breed?
    Sorry if this offends, but genuinely curious... For all her posh 'designer name' Kismet is still just a Husky cross for insurance purposes.
  8. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Ela is left on her own with Cassie everyday while we are at work. My Nan pops round for an hour at lunch time and they have the run of the living and dinning room. I make sure she has somthing to keep her busy such as a kong and a hide chew to eat. Her fav toy is cardboard boxes in more boxes stuffed with paper treats and a tennis ball, this gets destoyed into little bits!

Other then the normal amount of puppy chewing (our coffee table is a little worse for wear) she has been fine. We have both the dogs with pet plan as we feel they are the best and its about £13 a month. If you want a rescue then i would advise you get in touch with the NIS (or TIDA) rescue co-ordinator as she will always have a list of any dogs that need a home.
  9. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Pet plan have then listed as a breed but most would be listed as x breeds i think.
  10. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Kato is with PP as a NI but a GSD x would be just as expensive.
  11. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Kismet is cheaper than Selkie as Selkie is listed as a pedigree and Kismet as a mongrel Husky type. We are with More than.

I do love to look and stories of most of the NI and NI type breeds on here. I have to admit, I'd be tempted myself, but would Definitely seek the advice of Borderdawn, and the others on here Kcjack mentioned before I looked at a litter of puppies...

There are known problems in some of the breeding lines and a lot of defensive secret keeping among some (but not all) of the breeders. I think it is clear there are some great dogs out there in the breed but as with most breeds finding the right breeder and the right lines can be a mine field, not just to find a good dog for showing, but just to find the healthiest pup possible.
  12. Tan's mum

Tan's mum New Member

Name:
    eve
    when they say high exercise do they mean like collie high or higher? hope that made sense
  13. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    I have two NI and they have not experienced any of the problems mentioned above, my mum has had them for years no probs either, I have friends that have them and have met many at shows -no probs.
    You are not likely to get a very balanced view on this forum as many clearly dislike the breed. As for the breed being plagued by health issues this has not been proven here or on any other forum.
    They moult once or twice a year and its not that bad, infact better than dogs that tend to loose hair all year round at least its over in one go.
    They generally don't like to be left alone but I know of several owners who have lone NI and they are fine, I personally feel they are pack orientated and prefer to be with people or other dogs all the time.
    Iffy stomachs - they are fine if fed a natural diet, if given too many tit bits or leftovers then they can get upset stomachs.As for exercise I would say same as any other dog, two walks a day or one long one is sufficent.
    There are some who for reasons not made public would like to see the demise of this wonerful breed to further there own agenda and therefore tend to exaggerate health problems and at times have fabricated facts about the breed, which is a great shame for people like yourself researching the breed and hoping to get one.
    My advice would be for you to go and visit GOOD NID breeders and yes there are many! meet the dogs, ask all the relevent questions and see for yourself, make your own mind up and don't believe all the negativity you are likely to read on here or on another forum you are bound to be directed to....

I hope you find the right dog/breed for you and hope you venture into your search with an open mind.
  14. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    Are you having a laugh suzy1b I can quite clearly point you in the direction of many NI dogs all with Mahlek in there lines who have awful health issues.
    Where did you Mum get her NIs from?
    My Ni doesnt need as much exercise as my boxer x ridge, lab or springers.
  15. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    Go on then proove it.... of course there are some health issues but greatly exaggerated.
  16. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    We have several sudden deaths, including a number of Shadowlands dogs such as:

Shadowlands Eomer who died at 8 months from fits
    Shadowlands Galadriel who died at 2 years from fits
    Shadowlands Theodwin who died at 2 yrs 5 months
    Shadowlands Jenson who died at 3 yrs from fits after being ill for 9 months

Shadowlands Serendipity who died at 4 months - skull fused together, left kidney shut down, brain damage

Yukon Moon Shadow who died aged 2 years from fits

Sansorrella Seneca died aged 4 from fits
    2 Sansorrella males ages 15 months died from fits

Sansorrella Apache Diamond epileptic but still alive so far as we know

Daytona the Samurai epileptic

Luca died young - vet could find no reason

Hobo died 2 years from heart problems

Stud dogs throwing problems:

Sawtooth Last Knight threw epilepsy
    Shadowlands Aragorn of Mahlek threw monorchid males
    Mahlek Pawnee Ammik threw monorchid males
    Shoshone Spirit of the Wild threw epilepsy
    Mahelk Moonsong threw epilepsy

Monorchid males - too many to mention all of them but here are a few that have been sent to us:

Mahlek Inuk
    Mahlek Talos
    Mahlek (Boicie)
    Daytona the Samurai
    Olderhill Alpha Black Hawk
    Olderhill Alpha (Echo)
    Cabales Cauern
    Shoshone Arrogance
    Arkarri Nuggi
    Miyaca (Jim Brown)
    Rivershey Tacoma
    Rivershey Nashoba
    Declurdan Mystik Ice
    Inka
    Silvermoon Nanuk
    Sansorrella Seneca
    Sansorrella Spirit of the Sky (and many more)

Chimayo Whispers pup was hermaphrodite and needed spaying and neutering

Monorchidism, Cryporchidism and infertile bitches are right across the board.

There are many more - all have Mahlek behind them

We have confirmed Addisons but cannot list those at the moment.

Mahlek Inuk HD left
    Mahlek Moonlit Sky very bad shoulders and hips
    Mahlek Bad Moon Rising bad shoulder
    Mahlek Wilo'the Wisp hip score 50
    Mahlek Bronx Warrior HD both hips replaced
    Mahlek Bronxon bad hips
    Silverflow Kodi both hips bad
    Silvermoon Kody HD
    Namerah Pretty Woman op on knee - cartilage replacement
    Tupilek Canuk Bobo bad arthritis
    Chief Joseph of Spirit-Walker hip score 72
    Shadowlands Kenai HD and muscle wastage also OCD put to sleep at 6 months
    Spirit-walker Inali severe HD and muscle wastage put to sleep aged 8 months

These are all Proven Suzy and just the ones that we know of, whats your view?
  17. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise

You miss the point again.. the OP asked for owners opinions..and with the exception of ME all the posters who have answered DO OWN the dogs.. now are they going to own then if they don't like them??

EVEN KCjack is entitled to answer this as she owns one.. so just cos you don't like her telling the truth doesn't mean you have to undermine everything she said
  18. Tan's mum

Tan's mum New Member

Name:
    eve
    ok guys respectively can you take this elsewhere? thanks, i just want owners views on NID's
  19. janie

janie New Member

Name:
    Janie
    I have two NI.. the bad side..

they moult all year round.. 24/7, the hair is truly dreadful and we have to hoover 2-3 times daily. :shock:

My dogs are not good with some dogs.. especially if they are submissive.

They have a very high prey drive... are very interested in catching & probably killing any small furries.. especially cats.

They do not like small children.. but they haven`t been brought up with any.

Mine can`t be left for a minute... unless locked in a concrete utility room... stripped bare, that`s if it`s absolutely necessary to leave them.. we usually have take them with us everywhere we go.

They are very aloof with people outside the home.. one of mine will walk away.. the other stands and barks.

They have totally wrecked the lawn in our back garden... and have dug up all the flowers. We now have the area completely gravelled.

My boy was cryptorchid.. which is a very common problem in male NI`s.. and it cost as much as having my bitch speyed, to have him castrated.

The good side..

both dogs are very affectionate with us and are well behaved when we are with them. The usual commands have been taught easily.. as both are quite food orientated.

I said to my other half a few days ago... if we (us and the dogs) were the only people / animals in the world.. they`d be the perfect dog. :mrgreen:

Neither of mine have had any other health problems as of yet... but they are only 19 & 27 months old. Health problems are prevalent in the breed, so you are lucky if you do end up with a healthy one. :-(
  20. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    You say sent to us who is the us?

There are over 2000 NID you have mentioned approx 45 dogs, thats not what I would call a plague of health problems.

You only have SC's word for this so called proof which to me is not worth much...

I don't know many of those dogs but I know Mahlek bad moon rising, his shoulder was caused by an injury and nothing to do with any thing hereditary which has now righted itself are there more indiscrepency's?
  21. suzy1b

suzy1b New Member

Name:
    suzy
    Its not that I don't like her telling the truth its the not so truthful I have an issue with.