Rhodesian's Ridge Discussions

Discussion in 'Rhodesian Ridgeback' started by hayleyth, Jun 11, 2012.

1. hayleyth

hayleyth New Member

Name:
    hayley

Rhodesian's Ridge

We had a debate today at work about the ridge of the rhodesian... Would you want one with a ridge or without? alot of breeders are asking vets to put to sleep ridgebacks without the ridge because its not a breed standard as they believe ridgebacks are meant to have the ridge. But ridgebacks arent meant to have a ridge? what you do you think?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    What do I think about what?

If I orderred a Rhodesian Ridgeback I would want it to conform to the breed standard.

If breeders cull puppies, it means that they are taking responsibility for the dogs they bred and ensuring they are not entering the gene pool or ending up in rescue or worse.

So I have no problem with this.
  4. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Have you got any links to these stories of vets being asked to put healthy dogs to sleep on account of their FUR arrangement not being quite to standard?

FFS! I am getting really peeved with reading about pedigree dogs being 'discarded' because they didn't come out exactly 'right'.

Vets should REFUSE to PTS any healthy animal. IMHO.
  5. hayleyth

hayleyth New Member

Name:
    hayley
    Breeders are putting the pups to sleep because they are born without the ridge.. but they arent meant to have the ridge? so surely this is wrong? just wanted to know some peoples thoughts! :)
  6. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    But they don't even have the chance to be taken into a loving home as a PET with a family that doesn't give a hoot about breed standards.

And who 'orders' dogs? We ain't talking delivery supermarket groceries. I wouldn't expect anyone BUYING a pedigree dog to accept one that doesn't 'conform'. Why KILL those that don't?
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I agree with this.

If I buy a Ridgeback, Id like a ridgeback.
  8. hayleyth

hayleyth New Member

Name:
    hayley
    But if the ridge is a deformity then surely it would be better to have one without a ridge and breed more without them, so then when puppies were born without the ridge people wanted them because it was normal? im not disagreeing, just interested in peoples thoughts :)
  9. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    I wouldn't really care to be honest. I'm sure a ridgeless ridgeback would still have the typical RR temperament. I can see where others are coming from in wanting the dog to conform to the breed standard but it's just not that big a deal to me.
  10. Angie1966

Angie1966 New Member

Name:
    Angie
    I agree.
    Pups don't ask to be born, but when they are, they should be allowed to enjoy life and be part of a loving family. Life is precious and should be treated as such, not discarded like a piece of useless rubbish.
  11. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Are you suggesting that all the ridgebacks that have ridges are "deformed?"
  12. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    de ja vu ....lol
  13. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    Not all breeders put to sleep the ridgeless pups the breeder my friends were going to get their next pup from has 10 pups 2 are ridgeless and will go to pet homes, I think if i wanted a dog to show then of course i would want a ridge but if i wanted just a pet/companion then i would happily take a ridgeless.
    In a litter of 10 pups some can be born ridgeless, some can be born with only one crown at the top of the ridge, some may be born with dermoid sinus, some may be born with a perfect ridge but all are living breathing beings and deserve to live.
    In all breeds pups are born with less then perfect markings and although they will be frowned upon in the show world they can still be loved as a family pet.
  14. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Of course if you are BUYING a dog you expect to have a ridge no breeder could fob you off with one that didn't have a ridge.

That's not the point I am making. I am making a point about HEALTHY dogs being PTS because they cannot be sold for mega bucks.

Off my soapbox now. Just about the only thing regarding animals and Cyprus that I am happy with is that Vets in the north will NOT put any healthy dog to sleep.

Some in the South won't either.

I am struggling with understanding how some will insist dogs that have maimed or killed children or other animals should be allowed to live (usually pedigree dogs) but are happy for dogs that might never harm a flea and who are healthy should be put down just because their fur does not conform to some arrangement that humans decided was 'desirable'.
  15. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    I wouldn't expect a breeder to give away a ridgeless puppy for free so I'd still be buying it.
  16. twilightwolf

twilightwolf New Member

Name:
    Lone Wolf
    I must say, i'm with a few of you on this. Yes the ridge is the breed standard, but what purpse/health benefits does this give the dog? So pups that are born without the ridge, does this give them more health complications or visa versa?

I personally don't think a puppy should ever be put to sleep, unless the condition was causing that animal to suffer and it needs to be euthanised on welfare grounds. The same goes for deaf puppies, if they are not suffering then why should they be euthanised. Instead, they could be sold at a discount price, and careful words given to new owners not to breed from them if this is not desired for the breed standard. Perhaps even get them to sign an agreement to get that animal neutered at the correct time.

Now on the other hand, i totally agree if that puppy has been born with a condition which is causing it to suffer then it should also be the breeders responsibility to either treat that puppy before it is sold, or to euthanise that animal and prevent it from suffering any longer.
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I am sorry, but who said the ridge is a deformity?
  18. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    I don't care if it is or isn't a deformity. If it doesn't affect the HEALTH of the dog - why should any dog born without it be PTS?

I can't read this thread any more. It is just too much 'dogs bred for what humans want them to LOOK LIKE' for me.
  19. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Well its a genetic mutation - the natural state for dogs and wolves is to be ridgless
    It appears to be a dominant mutation
  20. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There are lot of mutants about aren't there? ;)
  21. Angie1966

Angie1966 New Member

Name:
    Angie