Shetland Sheepdog Discussions

Discussion in 'Shetland Sheepdog' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. East Point

East Point New Member

Name:
    Stella
    Wow, a Sheltie bit on this site!! I have had Shelties for years, at present have Penny who will be one year old this month. Here she is

[​IMG] She is the sable one with her foot on the wall. The other one is her friend.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    Thanks for sharing this picture of two lovely Shelties
  4. East Point

East Point New Member

Name:
    Stella
    How about this group on our beach this year - Penny's friends !

[​IMG]
  5. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice
    "The more the Merrier" great pic Thanks for the share
  6. Border1

Border1 New Member

Name:
    ANNE
    ooohh love shelties hoping to have one soon as a second breed for showing
  7. welikeart

welikeart New Member

Name:
    celticat
    What gorgeous shelties, I cant help but go all warm and fuzzy at the sight of them.

For those that knew I had taken on another sheltie when my greyhound passed away this year, Tim has settled in very well and is a wonderful edition to the family.

thanks for sharing yours pics, keep the sheltie ones coming.......

Must find time to paint some more shelties, love doing the detail in their long coats, such majestic little dogs.

Debs
  8. welikeart

welikeart New Member

Name:
    celticat
    Here are my boys.

[​IMG]

and here is a group shot of my friends shelties that I took for her.

[​IMG]
  9. East Point

East Point New Member

Name:
    Stella
    Oh Welikeart your Shelties are gorgeous!! The group of Shelties are fantastic!! Thank you for showing them. I do think Shelties are such handsome and photogenic dogs.:)
  10. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice
    Just gorgeous Debs . Thanks for sharing.
  11. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    AWE! Bless em!
  12. East Point

East Point New Member

Name:
    Stella
    Bit of news about Penny our 1 yr old Sheltie. She goes in to be spayed on Wednesday and I dread it. We have had to bring it forward 2 weeks 'cos she is driving us nuts with a phantom pregnancy - she is 'mothering' her soft toys and not eating much at all, plus walking around with one in her mouth and crying a lot.
  13. queenwillow

queenwillow New Member

Name:
    tracey
    :grin: lovely looking pretty dogs
  14. East Point

East Point New Member

Name:
    Stella
    Well, Penny was spayed this morning and has come through it OK. We go to pick her up in a couple of hours - phew, thank goodness that's all over !:)
  15. Luke

Luke New Member

I wonder if anyone could give me some general info on what Sheltie's are like?
    Do they require lots of exercise say...on Border Collie level, or..?
    Are they dogs which require lots of mental stimulation i.e do they need a job to do, or are they happy to be just a pet and lead a general run of the mill lifestyle?
    Any general info really.
    And most importantly, would they be a walk in the park in comparison to an English Springer?:wink::lol:
  16. Snorri the Priest

Snorri the Priest New Member

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson
    [​IMG]

In the meantime :)lol: ) here's a hello from the Twilight Zone Border Boys, who also have blue eyes......

Welcome to the board, to you and to your gorgeous shelties!

Snorri
    :lol:
  17. buzzie

buzzie New Member

Name:
    Joan
    Just a little I know about the Sheltie. One of thee most beautiful herding dogs. Many people think they are mini collies and that of course is not true and their temperament is quite different. Many if not most are shy and very sensitive. As far as energy and activity level, I have found them to adjust somewhat but happiest when they are herding.
  18. welikeart

welikeart New Member

Name:
    celticat
    I can tell you what I know.

As you can see from my previous posts, I own two Shelties.

The youngest now coming up 5 years I have had since a puppy. He was bought for my daughter who was suffering with a lot of bullying at school, so I decided she needed a friend who would never turn against her and always remain faithful so although familiar with a lot of breeds due to my love of dogs, I began a indepth search for a dog that would suit mine and her needs.

Well I could not have chosen better, he has proved to be a wonderful addition to the family, as I had found in my research, shelties generally adore children and I have found this very true.

However, maybe because we do not have an men in our household he is wary of them, he will stand back and bark and only come and make friends when he is ready, he is not being aggressive just nervous and if you push him he will never make friends.

He is quite a vocal dog barking and making various growling noises ( like talking) if he wants something BUT the other sheltie I have only makes a lot of noise in the morning when he hears me getting up.

Exercise wise I believe they have alot of stamina, you can either walk with them for miles or if time is short they will be happy with less exercise, I read somewhere that they adapt well to most situations BUT I do feel they are sensitive dogs so please always bear that in mind.

They do need grooming regulary due to their double coat and you can use a rake for the best results but I find the finished result worth every minute as they are the most majestic looking dogs. A little and often is my rule.

Here is an interesting point, I had to have my greyhound PTS last year and having fallen for the sheltie breed decided to get one for myself. Funds were limited and I often rescue so I tried the sheltie rescue but to no avail, they are such good dogs that they rarely come up unless maybe an owner dies or something but I was lucky enough that the lady dealing with the rescue offered me one of her dogs that she wished to retire from showing and stud work, he has now been with us for nearly a year and has settled in very well.

To sum up here are a few words to describe them:-

Loyal
    Love kids
    Very intelligent
    Will work well in agility if required
    Gentle natured
    Losts of stamina
    Will always be by your side.

One other thing to be aware of is as in collies they can be prone to collie eye anomaly (CEA) which can only be detected in the first 11 weeks, in short it means they can be more prone to a detached retina.

Hope that helps, if you need to know more let me know here and I will reply.
  19. East Point

East Point New Member

Name:
    Stella
    [​IMG]

Here is my Sheltie - Penny, a year old.
  20. buzzie

buzzie New Member

Name:
    Joan
    What a pretty girl:) Thanks for the picture.
  21. East Point

East Point New Member

Name:
    Stella
    You're welcome Buzzie. Trouble is she is getting thoroughly spoiled - gets around us with those eyes of hers!:grin: