Sporting Lucas terrier... Discussions

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by WhichPets, Oct 1, 2011.

1. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets

Sporting Lucas terrier...

Apparently my parents friends have just bought one! I have never heard of them..did a quick google (not kc registered breed, look like cross between wire fox terrier and norfolk to me! Or a terrier looking petit Bassett!)

Anyone heard of them or met one?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Yep my friend breeds them they have a lot of selyham in them and I think fell terrier but not sure. Nice little dogs.
  4. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Learn something new everyday! Can't see the Sealyham in them at all..
  5. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    The soft long coat comes from the Sealyham, and the calmer, less terrier-typical behaviour.

There is much rivalry between "Working Lucas terrier" and "Lucas terrier" supporters
  6. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    What does the working Lucas do?
    I did notice on my little google the comments about how they are different and not to be confused between the two...
  7. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    This was taken from the Lucas Terrier club web site in UK
    Explaining the difference between the two.

The Sporting Lucas terrier was developed by Brian Plummer in the 1990s and has no more than the most tenuous of links with the Lucas terrier developed by Sir Jocelyn Lucas.

Sporting Lucas terriers are NOT Lucas terriers, the two types are NOT interchangeable. The Sporting Lucas terrier is no more a Lucas terrier than a lurcher is a greyhound. Whilst the Sporting Lucas terrier had a small infusion of Lucas in its ancestry (2 dogs) it was created from a number of different breeds that would never be incorporated into Lucas lines. To try to compare the two would be akin to trying to compare apples with oranges.

The breeds of dog over and above the Lucas (which only comprises of pedigree Norfolk and Sealyham lines) that were used to create this dog were Plummer and Fell terrier and then working (i.e. not KC registered) Sealyham terrier.

The split between the Lucas terrier and the Sporting Lucas terrier did NOT come about because it was considered by anyone that the Lucas was too big and cloddy, had too soft a coat or the incorrect temperament for working, but, simply, because the Lucas Terrier Club did not want infusions of other terrier types introduced into their bloodlines and when it became evident that this had happened in 1999 all the dogs bred by Brian Plummer, and their progeny, were de-registered by the Lucas Terrier Club. In light of that action Clubs were set up to accommodate these dogs and for reasons best known to themselves decided to call their dogs Sporting Lucas terriers.
  8. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Thought i'd read there was fell in there somewhere. Some of them also have sealyham like ears and head furnishings.
  9. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Also looks like there is a bit of tension between the Lucas terrier owners and the sporting Lucas terrier owners. :grin:

What a surprise :grin:
  10. Kevin Colwill

Kevin Colwill New Member

Name:
    Kevin
    It all goes to prove that it's not just KC registered breeds that get funny about bloodlines!

To be fair, however, I don't think there's tension between the supporters of each breed so much as wanting to be clear about what their breed is about.

In general terms (we all know dogs are individuals and can differ from the general breed type) the Lucas is the more standardised breed and has the gentler temperament. The Sporting Lucas is the more active working terrier.

Of the two, assuming I wasn't going to work the dogs, I'd go for a Lucas.

I actually think it's a shame that more people don't look at the Sealyham. It is generally a better bet as a family pet, less feisty and relatively laid back. You need not keep the Sealyham in a show trim and in pet trim they're no more bother than most other terriers. It's very sad to me that the Sealyham is struggling for popularity.

As an aside -- I know the United Kennel Club (2nd largest in the USA after the AKC) recognise the "Sporting Lucas" but I'm not sure if their standard is more like the Lucas or the Sporting Lucas we know here.
  11. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    There is a new member on the forum with one of these terriers - Milo Smilo I think his name is. Perhaps ask him about them.
  12. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    When Flynn started his obedience training at the previous club I went to, there was a Lucas terrier in the same class. I thought it was a nice little dog.