The Bracco Italiano - Alternative Breed Standard Discussions

Discussion in 'Bracco Italiano' started by gundog annie, Jun 29, 2006.

1. gundog annie

gundog annie New Member

Name:
    Annie

The Bracco Italiano - Alternative Breed Standard

BRACCO ITALIANO (Italian Pointer)
    THE ALTERNATIVE BREED STANDARD
    (What the books don’t tell you!!!!!)

General Description:
    The Bracco Italiano is a hunting dog of ancient Italian origin. It came over to this country eleven years ago on a Thompson’s package deal and decided to stay. He is characterised by his ability to melt your heart with a gaze whilst simultaneously removing anything edible from your pocket. In general he is more suited to a working environment although he does quite like the sofa!

Gait:
    Long loping extended trot, nearly always in the opposite direction to that which you would like. He has the ability to change direction suddenly thus defying any attempts to “put him back on the lead”.

Head:
    A noble dignified expression; he is certainly too good for what is going on around him. Ears should be long enough to dangle in his dinner. Nose must be prominent with large nostrils to enable him to drink and blow water all over the kitchen floor simultaneously. Head planes must diverge – although nobody seems to quite know where. His mouth should be large enough to carry game - and a sandwich at the same time.

Body:
    Well built and muscular enough to enable him to get through any door which is mistakenly closed against him. Hindquarters (particularly in the female) should be slightly saucy. Tuck-up should be frowned upon as opposed to “tuck-in” which Bracchi are exceptionally good at.

Feet:
    Large - certainly large enough to leave muddy prints all over the house and furniture! Toenails (unless painted in the female!) should match the coat colour and be long enough to attract attention – particularly when placed on your foot!

Hearing:
    Poor - for the human voice, except at meal times.

Eye Sight:
    Exceptional; he can spot moving game (e.g. vole or shrew) at 800 yards.

Colour:
    Depends entirely on where he has been in the last 24 hours!

Size:
    Small enough to fit on your lap and large enough to put off other dogs without actually having to get involved in any unpleasant argy-bargy!

Males:
    Should have two normally descended testicles and should enjoy watching all sports, going to the pub with their (male) owners and lolling about the house looking bored.

Females:
    Should have a cheeky expression and expensive Italian tastes!

“Any departure from the foregoing standard should not be considered a fault, is entirely understandable and will not stop you adoring your Bracco!!!!!!!!”
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    OMG i love these dogs.........they are on my wish list.......only met a few (at shows) would love to find out more about them........ I love their soulful look!
  4. gundog annie

gundog annie New Member

Name:
    Annie
    I absolutely love that alternative breed standard. If you live with a Bracco it is soooooo fitting. Ruby is such a princess. I wonder if Tia is the same?

They are absolutely wonderful dogs. Can you tell me how I can put up a photograph because I have some lovely photographs of Ruby on point and working.

I am absolutely smitten by them myself and when I saw the post on Tia I was just beside myself with excitement as normally people don't know what I'm talking about. :grin: :grin: I'd love to show you all my baby but you can see her head shot in my avatar.

Thanks

Annie
  5. Munsti-Sue

Munsti-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    :grin: :grin: Lol :smt038

Sould very typical of hprs:grin:
  6. Anne

Anne Global Moderator

Name:
    Anne
    Brilliant :lol:

Love that one :grin:
  7. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
  8. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    That sounds great - just my type of dog.

I think I could probably slot a Bracco in with my mob. A Bracco would go great with a couple of Vizzies, a Dobe and A Lab!!!!

Can't wait to see some pictures of Ruby and of course your other dogs.
  9. gundog annie

gundog annie New Member

Name:
    Annie
    Hi there

My Bracco Ruby is really the absolute best dog to live with. She is sooooo funny, a real comic and yet she is so gentle.

I took her to the Highland Show last week and we were sitting having some lunch. Ruby was going through all her "tricks" so she could get a bit burger. :grin: A couple of toddlers came over and asked if they could pat her. I said yes. One of them - no more than 2 years old took her lead and started leading her around the grass. Ruby just trotted along behind her good as gold. I was very proud. Here's some photographs of my baby. She really is a very stunning dog - although I am biased. She never ceases to charm everyone she meets. She's a real star. A true bracco!!!

I hope you all like my baby. Here goes!!!!;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's Leap. She is a friend's working Bracco Italiano. I was going to show her recently but we were both too busy to get something organised. She is a beauty too.

[​IMG]
  10. novavizz

novavizz New Member

Name:
    Kaz
    Love the pictures Annie, and love the full tail - are they traditionally docked? I have an undocked Dobe, a docked Vizsla and an undocked Vizsla.

I would love a Bracco but not fit and well enough to take on a youngster, would certainly consider an oldie though if one needed a home. Could only take bitch though as I have a Dobe male 5 years old and in his prime. Not sure if he would tolerate another adult male coming in, he does live with a male Lab, but my Lab is nearly 13 yrs old so he doesn't bother about him.
  11. gundog annie

gundog annie New Member

Name:
    Annie
    Hi there

The Bracco can be docked on undocked. Ruby's dad is docked and her mum is undocked. I personally prefer them undocked as it give more balance to the overall conformation. Her dad is beautiful though.

I think you are right about not taking in another male. Although Bracchi are not a dominant breed, one of my friends had to rehome one of hers recently because of argy bargy with her old male weim so a bitch would be best. As puppies they are not like other hpr breeds, they are very laid back.
    You sound just like me. You have a real collection of dogs. People always say what a mixture you have but it works really well for me.

Kind regards
    Annie
  12. Pootle

Pootle New Member

Name:
    LESLEY
    Hi Anne,

Great to see more of these fantastic dogs on DW.

I love mine to bits, I love my Weimars too but Tia is very special.

I was a bit of a Bracco stalker before I got Tia, used to visit Discover dogs, game fairs just to get a Bracco Fix!!!!!

Now she has her own Fan Club....

Regards

Lesley
  13. Pootle

Pootle New Member

Name:
    LESLEY
    Hi Again Anne,
    Just found your posts about Tia, this is my first look at DW been in and around Italy for 2 weeks, gutted that I didnt see any Bracci.

Poots is out of Sentling Sussanna x Sentling Man in the Middle. I love Chesnut Bracci, would love a male Bracci but not while I have my weimar male, Hunter.

Tia is good with Kids, when at a game fair, a little girl of around 3or4 wrapped her arms around Tia when she was sitting on a bale, they stayed locked in this cuddle for about 20mins. Childs Mum said she had never seen her so chilled and calm.She came back a couple of times for another pootle fix duing the rest of the day.

The Bracco Society does now have a rescue co-ordinater now according too web site, they have been talking about it for a while I believe.

Regards

Lesley
  14. gundog annie

gundog annie New Member

Name:
    Annie
    Hi there Lesley

Thanks for your post. I love my baby too. They're sooo easy to live with aren't they? Ruby's breeder has weims also but she just loves her braccos. I have checked with my Italian student staying with me at the moment and the plural is bracco because they are a breed of dog. So I stand corrected if I posted bracchi before etc., etc.,:grin:

Guess what? I'm just about to get my second bracco. Ruby's dad has just sired a litter of puppies and I have pick of one. Can't believe it!! She will probably be orange roan like Tia and a bitch!!! Goodness, I'm just so excited I can hardly contain myself. I spoke to Ruby's breeder at the weekend and she told me about the pups and that we should both have one. I will show the new doggie because her dad is currently the top winning Bracco in the UK, but she will also be worked so she'll be a workingshowpet!!! :grin: :grin:

Who has the sentling line? Is that June Laing? I know that she had a litter last year but don't know the name of her lines. They are such beautiful dogs to live with aren't they? I had Ruby at the Highland Show a couple of weeks ago and a couple of toddlers were walking her around on her lead and she was happily just toodling along behind them. The mother was absolutely thrilled and Rubes was so laid back about it!!!

Guess what team we were supporting in the World Cup Final?

I'll post a piccy when I get my new baby!!!!!!

[​IMG]
  15. Pootle

Pootle New Member

Name:
    LESLEY
    Hi Anne

Wow!!!!! Im jealous, a new baby.... i want one!!!!!!!!!

Sentling affix, Johnathan and Liz Shaw..... they did the first import thing!!!!!!

Poots is fast asleep across my leg at the moment, she is never too far away.

We didnt know who had won world cup for 3 even though we were on a Italian cruise ship full of italians...

I will still call them Bracci, the guys that come over from the SABI call them that at the BIS seminar days.

Im off to bed now, still catching up after holiday, good to here from you , catch up again soon

regards

Lesley