Tikva was really sick last night Health

Discussion in 'Crossbreeds Forum' started by Malka, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Tikva was really sick last night

Tikva had her evening "wet" meal at 8pm. Nothing different from every evening although I do alternate the meat part of it, but the supplements and vegetables were the same as they are every day. She then spent the rest of the evening dozing on the couch, until about 11pm I opened the door and she went out for a pee.

Then, as usual, she came in, waited for me to unclip her tether, but whereas she would normally shoot through to the bedroom, waiting for me to get her little bikkie and to open her crate for her to get in, eat the bikkie and then curl up on her fluffy mat at the sleep end of the crate, last night she got as far as the kitchen and would not go through into the bedroom. As it was late and I wanted to lock up and go to bed, I carried her to her crate - offered the bikkie which she just dropped, went back to lock up [and put her toys away] - went back into my bedroom and she had vomited violently - her evening meal exactly as she had eaten it, and horrid diarrhoea all over her mat.

I opened both doors in the crate but she would not come out - it was if she was guarding the vomit - and she would not let me try to get her out, actually going for my picker-upper when I tried to pull out the mat and the puppy pads that I line the crate with, out. Then she flew into the salon and had more diarrhoea on both the pads I put down in there for emergencies, and when I folded them to put them in the bin and get out two new ones, she had had more diarrhoea where one of them would have been.

Cleaned up, new pads down, washed and dried the base of her crate and put fresh pads and a fresh mat down, and found a rather unhappy little dog under my chair. Anyhow, she eventually crawled out, went out for another pee [no horrid squits though], came in, had a drink and went straight to her crate. By which time it was gone 2am. She was a bit restless for awhile but then zonked off and did not surface until nearly 8am - went out for a pee, came in and asked for food. Bright as a button as if nothing had happened.

It was too early for her breakfast so I gave her a small plain biscuit, which she scoffed, debated whether to give her breakfast but gave in to her nagging and she had a small chicken wing. and so far so good - she seems 100% back to normal, but as she had only once ever vomited before and that was not much, and has never had the squits, both at once really worried me. Especially the amount that came up one end and poured out of the other end.

It seems like a co-incidence - the severe allergic reaction to something she must have picked up in the yard on 2 April and now this on 13 April. I have been going round the yard as far as she can reach, plus a bit further just in case, picking up everything that should not be there - bits of paper tend to blow in. Nothing obvious though.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Poor Tikva, she must have felt so uncomfortable. I hope it is a one-off, sometimes birds can drop mouldy or other unsuitable things, or maybe the kids disposing of their rubbish. Could she have been nibbling at any plants? I ask because Merry has discovered dandelion flowers this week, (not ideal for an occasional nighttime piddler), but there seem to have been no ill effects.
    It is amazing how quickly they can recover, but as you say, it does seem rather close to her allergic reaction.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    She is definitely not a plant nibbler - the only plants are weeds and they are very sparse and spread out. At the moment they are all dead as they were sprayed quite a while ago [the yards are sprayed twice a year] plus rather a lot of sun kills them.

But she must have picked something up from outside before she had her 8pm meal, which she hoovered up as usual, and she only went out for the the one final pee and straight in again. And then that meal - came out exactly as it went in.

The allergic reaction could not have been from her 10am bone meal as it would have come up much earlier than it did. Neither could this morning's one caused the d&v as that would have started before her evening one, which she would not have scoffed as she did. I think it must have been just co-incidence, both the allergic reaction and last nights d&v happening fairly close.

Fingers crossed that she really is OK now.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Poor Tikva and poor you. Hope it was just a one off and she 's completely back to normal.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tikva started nagging for her evening meal early but I thought it best to wait until the usual time - and got the stink eye! I did give it to her a bit early though, but only half the amount she usually gets. She is now on the couch giving me the stink eye again after going out and rushing around, nose to the ground, because she could smell that a d-o-g had dared traipse all over her yard, and I called her in as I did not think that all that rushing around just after she had eaten was a good idea.

Just in case...
  7. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I'm keeping everything crossed!