What does a "field" Labrador look like? Questions

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by Kerryowner, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie

What does a "field" Labrador look like?

I just wondered as last week when we were walking in the woods we met someone who had what I thought was a Labrador cross. It had the coat and head of a black Lab except the hair seemed a bit longer round the head and neck but it had very short legs. I asked the owner what it was crossed with and he said it was a pedigree Lab (oops!) and was called a field Labrador as it was bred for working.

I have seen the difference re show and working type Labs but this one didn't look like the working type Labs either. It was very fat which didn't help you see the dog as a working breed but as its legs were so short I would have thought that would be a disadvantage in a gundog?

I asked the owner what he worked it as but he said he didn't.

Anyone else heard of these? Or had he been had?!!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. peedie

peedie New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    No, you definitely don't get 'field' labs as such. Working (lighter legged, generally less stocky) and show types yes but not a 'field'... I assume he meant his was a working type. Bleugh, fat dogs. Poor thing.
  4. Luckypirate

Luckypirate New Member

Name:
    Luckypirate
    No clue what he's on about. My lab is what you would call a working labrador, primarily from Gunstock lines, so I guess he looks as much like a working lab as any other. Working labs are a little smaller, from my experience and slighter than their show counterparts. The longer hair is something I have never come across.

On the contrary to what this guy was saying, it is usually show labs that tend to be shorter in the leg and wider in the body (although you said this one was just plain fat!) You were right in thinking short legs are a gundog disadvantage!

I thought these pics were a decent illustration of the differences...

Show labby:
    http://images04.olx.in/ui/1/16/98/11060898_1.jpg

Working lab:
    http://www.browfarm.co.uk/hens_ducks_peafowl/images/yellow_labador_bitch.jpg
  5. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    i have never heard of a 'field' labrador, but there is a guy i see a lot with a lab x poodle, who looks like a small lab but with slightly longer fur :lol: she looks like how you described, and had he not told me she was a lab x poodle, i would never have thought she had poodle in her.
  6. mandyB

mandyB New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    Here's a pic of two working type Labs. The black one is from field trial lines, the yellow more pet bred. I should imagine he means his dog is field trial bred.:?

[​IMG]

I believe working types can vary greatly in looks and size, but there's no excuse for a fat Lab.:evil:
  7. Labman

Labman New Member

Name:
    Ted
    Labs not bred for show vary widely. Often real retrievers are leggier than show dogs. The shorter legs could either be related to the line, or perhaps yes a cross breed. I have seen thousands of Labs not bred for show and don't remember any with unusually short legs. That doesn't mean there aren't any. I remember a Lab/Basset cross, a Lab body on short, crooked legs.

Many breeders don't realize they need to protect the females after they are bred and they will mate again give a chance and some or all of the puppies in a litter may be sired by the second dog.
  8. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Haha! I would say a "field" lab (Field bred, Field Trial, Working bred, potato/potAto) is the opposite of what you describe, taller, lighter in leg and body. The pics posted here of working labs are exactly what they look like here too. I would bet this gentlemans labs mother was having an affair on the side!
  9. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Oh thanks for your replies-and the pictures. His Lab didn't look at all like the working ones on here, much shorter legs.

I thought it was a shame it was so fat as I asked him how old it was ,thinking he would say about eight, and he said 18 months! My Kerries are real foodies but I am cruel to be kind and they are the correct weight even though they are now 9 and 8.

I shall have to be more careful about guessing what people's dogs are in future I guess.
  10. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I think someone met a field Spaniel and assumed it was a working type cocker spaniel, and thought that the field meant working type, not a different breed ;) Well thats what I would guess anyway.

ETA, that or his dogs have FTCH (field trial champion) dogs in their pedigree, so agin he thinks that they are field types, other then that, have no clue.
  11. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    when i lived in somerset, the working labs there were much shorter than those ive seen elsewhere!,. sounds like the ones you described!!!!!
  12. Labman

Labman New Member

Name:
    Ted
    Interesting. As several have mentioned, field Labs often have long legs. I could believe there are short legged lines. I never remember seeing any, but am not going to deny they exist.
  13. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Well in the last few weeks I have boarded two dwarf Labs, awful they were.
  14. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Were they related? Or heaven forbid are people aiming to breed them?
  15. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Nope, 2yrs between them, different owners, looked deformed.
  16. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Stephanie :) this is my friend's working Lab Letty with one of my dogs Amy, sadly both are no longer with us.

Letty was a fantastic gundog and was part of a shoot on an estate in Shropshire. She was only about 14 months old here and as you can see she is a little finer boned than the show Labs but she was the same hight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Purdy from the same breeder with Chloe, she was only a puppy here and has gone on to become a good gundog. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As always it is down to choosing a good breeder with good stock.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2010
  17. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Poor things, and :blush: I first read that without the last comma lol.
  18. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Thank you for your dog pictures Minihaha. They look lovely dogs, beautiful glossy coat on the Labs and I do have a fondness for Schnauzers (perhaps cos everyone thinks that's what my dogs are!)

I thought the dog I saw looked a bit deformed to be honest with such short legs-I thought the owner was going to say it was crossed with something much lower to the ground.

Still-it doesn't matter-as long as he was happy with the dog. It had a nice temperament-kept doing playbows to Parker who is totally impervious to such gestures! He thinks playing is beneath him (though he is very sociable)-he had a large Rottweiller puppy doing lovely playbows all round him whilst Parker was rolling on the ground doing his happy roll for a few minutes and it was like the Rotty puppy wasn't even there!
  19. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    Lol, Pack yourself off to Somerset (south west Uk) on your short legged lab spoting Mission!!!!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  20. Labman

Labman New Member

Name:
    Ted
    Dwarf Labs? I have occasionally seen smaller dogs that look much like Labs. Any I have been able to ask about have been unknown origin.

At nine months Raven seems small, but is near the 21-22 inch standard. Perhaps I am too used to seeing larger Labs.
  21. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    drawf labby

[​IMG]