Which setter? General Chat

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by magpye, Aug 1, 2012.

1. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz

Which setter?

My Aunt has asked for my help and advice in finding her a new puppy. She has her heart set on a setter... She is the manager of a carehome for alzheimers patients and wants a pup that can go in to work with her and learn to calmly act around the patients. I will be working with her to help add some assistance dog training, picking up, carrying, holding etc

She had looked at red setters, but I thought they might be a bit high energy for what she wants to be able to do... What about an english setter?

Or is there another breed people can think of?.. Not labrador.She has only owned labradors in the past and feels that another lab would be too painful. She wants a soft mouthed soft faced soft coated dog.

Also if English setters is what we choose what are the breed problems bitch or dog best? and can any one recommend a breeder? I will be doing more research as well obviously, but always trust dogsey advice as a good place to start:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Red and White Setters
    Irish Setters
    English Setters
    Gordon Setters

they are all different, I would have thought if she wanted a dog to be an assistance dog a Retriever might be better, what about a Goldie?

there are some very nasty temperaments coming into English Setters now so be extremely careful where you go.
  4. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    English Setters are like gold dust at the moment, and mine were naughtier and more flighty than my Irish.

I do have a few friends that have the English as PAT dogs, and they are a great hit. You just have to be very patient with them as pups as they are just looking for fun all the time.

I didn't know there was a temperament problem in the breed, (will you pm me SB as I am about to get a pup and want to make sure I'm not getting one from the wrong place ;-) ..just between you and I, it won't go any further)
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    pmd you

6. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    There is a young English here where I live. Lovely, lovely dog but a real handful for his owners. They had a bitch before the male they have now who was also very active. Whether they are the calm dog your aunt wishes for is doubtful based on these two....

A show line Golden Retriever would be absolutely perfect for what your aunt requires. Actually, even the working type Goldies I know exemplify calm...or lazy if you want to call it that!

A show type Cocker or Springer might also fit the bill if she picked her lines very, very carefully. Especially with show Cockers as there are so many barky, weak nerved ones being bred.
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    The only caveat I would have with spaniels (and to some extent goldies) is their tendency to resource guard, something to consider in this environment.
  8. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I have a huge soft spot for Irish Red Setters, so pretty. They have a reputation for being a bit daft, is that correct?
  9. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    My first one was a nightmare, he would never come back when off lead, but a temperament to die for. My next 3 were really good off lead and equally daft temperaments.

Another Irish is on my wish list :grin:
  10. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    hmmm food for thought...

Golden retriever is sadly also off her list due to painful memories of a lost family dog... (I know... I don't understand it either, I loved Selkie with all my heart, but I know I couldn't resist another samoyed one day, regardless of how much they would remind me of my angel).

Worried about the possible temperament problems with setters though, they seem so placid! Must be all a show! :)
  11. ljru1970

ljru1970 New Member

Name:
    ljru1970
    When I was looking recently, a breeder of goldendoodles had previous pups go on to be Canine Partners and Hearing Dogs.
    They are in Essex too- Colchester.
  12. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    what about welsh springer? All the ones I have met were lovely dogs?
  13. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Anyone know anything about G.A. Tully as a breeder of welsh springers, she's local to me... I thought I might visit.. Can PM me:)
  14. Bramble Cottage

Bramble Cottage New Member

Name:
    Maryanne
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of breeders, I have had two rescue setter crosses, one a red setter/retreiver cross and since September last year an english setter/border collie cross. Both would make brilliant dogs for what you want, full of beans outside, but very calm indoors (once a bit older) you would have to get over the puppy stage which can be chaotic. Why not look at a rescue dog blackretreiverxrescue have several lovely young setter crosses as well as others waiting for a loving home. Have a look on their website www.blackretrieverx.co.uk. Good luck with your hunt whatever you decide, I think it is a fantastic idea, so many people go into a home and cannot bring their pet, so a 'communal' pet is idea.
  15. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    My mum grew up with setters, they only ever had one english one... he was my mums favourite but a complete douchecanoe. Really flighty and could be really stubborn. It was also a real escape artist. Was once in a kennel with three other dogs, got out, chased loads of sheep, noone for the life of them could work out how he got out.
  16. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I know many Gordons that have become PAT Dogs to a high level as well.

They are to me the most biddable of the setters having owned Irish, English and Gordons. But they do need training and to know there boundaries! They can be hooligans if they are allowed to be!

G A Tully is a well respected breeder from what little I know of her.

Rachel
  17. Ballybee

Ballybee New Member

Name:
    Alyson
    Not a setter but in the gundog group, what about a spinone? Very calm, gentle dogs. Mine is only 20 weeks old and although he loves to meet new people he's pretty chilled about it, he loves to sleep and is very very biddable :D

[​IMG]