Why do we get so het up Discussions

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by sutty, Nov 18, 2007.

1. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue

Why do we get so het up

I know there have been countless threads about N.I that have been locked because of warring factions, but I thought it was about time someone explained why we are so defensive and yes, argumentative when it comes to our chosen breed.
    I am not going to mention any names on this thread as they will undoubtably know who they are anyway.
    For those of you without N.I, but with a breed you love, how would you feel, do you suppose, if , certain people decided, 'mmmm, I'm sure we could take this breed and make it better, and what if we make another club, where, by the way, I'll be in charge because I know better than anyone else,, we will get all the other members to join us , we will spread a few lies about the other lot, try and turn their members against them. Lie about the dogs, OH and we can falsify some of the pedigrees if we feel the need.'
    Believe me, this has happened a couple of times, and IMO, it wasnt for the good of the breed, it was done by power hungry people, desperate to be Top Dog.
    God knows why, I for one havent the slightest interest in politics, I love my dogs and will try and defend my breed the best I can
    But you have to admit, we do get some stick, not from the majority, but mainly from folk that have the same breed but belong to a different club, and they wholeheartedly believe what they are told.
    They have to see that this isnt good for the breed, that while there is arguing and different clubs being set up all the time, that the KC will never take the N.I seriously. There needs to be one governing body, and that in my opinion is the N.I society, Its the most enduring and the most honest , whether you agree or not. To date, there have been 3 breakaways from the N.I society, One, the Ute is flourishing in their own way as they have taken their dogs an entirely different route, the other two are fading into oblivion , and any of our members that went with them, have come back to us, surely this proves my point.
    I only wish that some of you knew of the slander and lies that have been spread about, you only know what you see on here , but trust me, some N.i folk have had to endure some very hurtful stuff bandied about them.
    So you may all roll your eyes when the s**t starts again, but ask yourselves this question, wouldnt it get your back up too, if it was your breed in question?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    They did and it ended up as Northern Inuits ! ;-)

Dont' think that this happens in 'Just' the NI world, it happens with many breeds. There are things about my own breed club I dont agree with, and as a nobody, I can do nothing about it, even though they say everyone has a say if they submit their queries :roll:

There will always be people who care more about the politics than the dogs, I think that goes for many breeds. There will always be people who think they know better, gosh I encounter enough of them in my own breed and others.

The most passionate people are the ones who care for the dogs more than the Politics of it all.

Regardless of breed it's a shame that breed clubs or Societies can't embrace those people who want what's best for the breed as a whole.
  4. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    As someone who has wrong coloured poodles I can tell you there is a lot of in fighting in the poodle world too, not just solid's vs coloureds but also between the different sizes, some Standard poodle people think there's should be the only size and woe betide if you have a min or toy :roll:
    Becky
  5. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    Yep!
    it Must be hard though with such a new breed. Even more so than with a established breed

Be interesting to see the new standard once its drawn up.& if this gives a greater sense of what you are all aiming for,

Now what id LOVE to see are pics of the early dogs through to present day.How the breed has changed & developed etc! id LOVE to see that (aslong as its a "safe topic")
  6. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    It's the same with BW English Springers, they're very much looked down on in the show world, in comparison to the Livers. If you go into the ring with a black and white and have a judge that dislikes them, they won't even consider your dog just because of it's colour!

I mean, why I ask you?!!! :shock: :lol:
  7. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
  8. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Sounds like it needs a new club with representatives from all factions. A bit like amalgamating neighbouring high schools. They join them, give the school a new name and take members form both,hence the beginning of something new and fresh.

Now I will run for cover.
  9. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    Yes it would, but at the same time which ever club you do or don't belong too doesn't really come into it for me.
    As a NI owner surely by getting involved in any slander or back stabbing doesn't do the dogs or the breed any justice.
    You always get different ideas of what any breed should be from the people who own them, but to fight over it on a public board put the breed as a whole in bad light, what ever the truths are behind the scenes.
    I think they are lovely dogs but it does make non owners switch off to the breed or question the facts. When you have multiple owners who can't agree, how as a non NI owner are we supposed to get to the truth of the NI and what to believe.
  10. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    My friend had a cracking B&W tri ESS once he was from ireland & completley stunning, would have loved to have seen some like that in the ring

Its the same in loys of breeds..dont want to even go down the BC route!
    I think its worse in the NIs as they are new ish & still trying to get KC established
  11. juliekelham

juliekelham

Name:
    julie
    i do know what you mean there,i would love a toy poodle but would like a black and white one,the nasty replys i got from some poodle breeders for even mentioning a black and white one:grin:
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Thing is Julie, if somebody rang you up and said they wanted a NI of an unaccepted colour, what would you say? Just because they like the colour, doesnt make them right. I dont agree with becky bringing in colours that are not allowed, I mean why? Whats wrong with the ones that are accepted? When promoting a breed, you promote what the breed standard asks for, not one you choose to make up!
  13. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    my friend breeds shelties for obedience, shes had awful trouble from some breed groups as her dogs are oversized, Never mind that they are the most successful ob line in shelties around today!!!!
  14. juliekelham

juliekelham

Name:
    julie
    no need to run for cover,but i think most northern inuit people would dissagree with you there,the northern inuit society are a dedicated group of people that put loads of time and effort not to mention cost into the breed and its members ,we organises several events through out the year besides are two annul shows,and ive never known anyone to have not enjoyed it,we also let ute people to are dos and put on classes just for utes:grin:
  15. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    The point is they are allowed in the breeds country of origin! Which is why I went there to get one!
    Becky
  16. juliekelham

juliekelham

Name:
    julie
    yes i do see your point.but then why at discover dogs was there two black and white ones on show,i would have thought you only take the most to type there.
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Because there are certain people who want to force them into peoples faces, the KC wont change the standard though to accomodate a few, why should they?

But you live here, if you lived there you could show them as they are accepted. The point is you show under the English kennel club rules, not any other.
  18. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    I'm not going to argue with you Dawn to me it is the breed country of origin that sets the standard for that breed. Besides a parti poodle got is it's stud book number back in the late 1800's so clearly it was acceptable back then so what changed? Would love to know!
    Also there are championship poodle judges who believe the only good colour is black!
    Becky
  19. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    You please yourself. The point of many people thinking black is the only good colour is totally irrellevant and they are an accepted colour, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Many people didnt like chocolate labs but they have always been an accepted colour in the standard. Its when people start messing and breeding "other colours" like silvers etc... it all falls apart.

My opinon only, is that the colour of the coat is cosmetic only, you said yourself money drives many of the odd coloured ones here, so why want one that shouldnt be? encouraging everything you say you stand against? Completely beyond me, i think Ill go buy a pink Border!
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    To answer your question, yes it would, we have a problem in Boxers, there are people out there who think the "white Boxer" should be included in the breeding programme, I wont go into the ethics of this, but the simple fact is they don't conform to breed standard

I don't know much about the NI , but it seems sad to me, when you have breakaway groups trying to put there stamp on a breed, surely it is best for a breed to get the "standard " right ,conforming to "Type", all working for the same purpose, to be excepted by the KC, or is that not an issue to owneres/breeders of the NI.

As cute as Coops is Becky, does this mean, he is not excepted under the UK KC rules? so where does that leave his offsprings? if they can not be registered with the KC.

I have to agree with Dawn a little on this, why breed for something that is not excepted in the UK, the same with Boxers, (I know there is an huge medical /ethical difference) but it all boils down to the same thing.

We cant have it both ways , you try to educate novice dog owners, to buy from reputable KC registered breeders, but then go against what we preach when it suits.
  21. sutty

sutty New Member

Name:
    sue
    I remember back in the 70's, a white GSD was a mismark, are they not now a seperate breed, dont know if they are recognised by the KC, anyone shed any light?