Worried Introductions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by KelsterVB, Jul 1, 2018.

1. KelsterVB

KelsterVB New Member

Name:
    Kelly

Worried

Hello...

I have just joined as I am very worried about my staffy.

I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask for advice about illness but I’ll post anyway.
    My girl is almost 7 (August) and approximately 6 weeks ago developed a bloat to her abdo area (ascites), vomiting and diarrhoea.
    Went to vets immediately and they did x ray and ultra sound scan and found no abnormalities. She has a low protein and b12 - receiving 4 weekly injections for this - last one this coming Thursday.
    Went on antibiotics and then steroids - stools became more formed and bloat went down.
    However, a few days ago the bloat returned and her stools are looser again.
    She’s eating and drinking and acting her normal self but this fluid is really really worrying me. My husband wants us to try another vets but I am reluctant as I don’t want her to have same investigations unnecessarily again.
    Please help...has anyone else’s staffy ever had this?
    I’m so worried about her.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    KelsterVB likes this.
    Hi Kelly. Sorry to hear about the health problems you are having with your Staffy. It really does sound too complex for a forum, but it is still worth posting - someone may have had a similar experience.
    You do not mention having had any blood, urine or poo tests. Perhaps your vet will suggest doing a full blood profile next, which I think would be well worth having done.
  4. KelsterVB

KelsterVB New Member

Name:
    Kelly
    Hi Carole.

She’s had her bloods done and that’s what showed extremely low protein and low B12. Initially her white cell count was up so that’s why antibiotics were commenced, however on her second lot of bloods this had come down.

There were no abnormalities in her poo sample - I’m not sure they have done urinalysis though. However I can’t imagine doing all the other investigations without testing the urine.

I have also posted the same thread in the staffy section.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Silly of me not to realise that he must have tested to get those results!
    I really wish I could be more help to you.
  6. KelsterVB

KelsterVB New Member

Name:
    Kelly
    Don’t be silly! Any advice is great. I’ve called emergency vets and awaiting a call back.
    Thanks x
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Do come back with an update.
  8. KelsterVB

KelsterVB New Member

Name:
    Kelly
    I will x