Yellow Flat Coats? Controversial

Discussion in 'Flat Coated Retriever' started by Wyrd, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha

Yellow Flat Coats?

Has anyone seen a yellow flat coat before?

I was just browsing the net when I came across a site who said they have a yellow FCR, I have not seen one before and didn't know they existed!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Copied and pasted from the UK breed standard..

Colour
    Black or liver only

If there are yellows, then its a fault. Was this a UK site?
  4. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
  5. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Color
    Solid black or solid liver. Disqualification-- Yellow, cream or any color other than black or liver.

From the AKC standard. Having read the site...well sigh, what can I say? They breed minature retrievers:shock:

ETA, which look like working cockers.
  6. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    Can you imagine what they look like after they have been in the mud like Tango :mrgreen: :lol:
  7. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Maybe I am missing the point, but if yellow occurs naturally as a colour in the breed why is it disqualified?

I quite like their 'Miniature Retrievers' they look similar to working cockers.
  8. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Hiya
    Yes there is such a thing as a yellow Flat Coat. I like them :) I would happily have a yellow as I think they are such fab dogs they look brill in any colour! :)
    It is however, classed as a fault, so they cannot be shown, but they do happen, not a huge amount but they do.

It occurs...but it is not recognised as an 'official' colour, it's seen as a fault...must have it's roots somewhere and I can go root and ask people if you like why yellow is not offically recognised?
  9. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
  10. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I've heard of the yellow FCR before, I'm wondering if its a fault because of the assocaition with the goldie, and if people were crossing them or not, but I don't know.

Although I looked around the site, and their 'miniture retrievers' are what I thought that they were, as they breed American Cocker Spaniels I thought that they were probally just crosses, which they are, but look at this page, doesn't it make them look like great breeders :?

http://www.chathamhillretrievers.com/Chatham_Hill_Retrievers.php

So at the least they know and let people know that they are a cross, the thing is they talk about health, but not health testing that I can see :? I wonder how many people buy from these guys, I know that I wouldn't.
  11. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Oo don't start talking about comfort retrievers on here as well....ooo...people get cross about them....ooo....
  12. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
  13. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Have just been told (on good authority) that a yellow FCR happens because it has 2 recessive genes which stop it's true colour coming out, you can tell what colour it should have been by looking at their nose...how interesting is that?
  14. fluffybland

fluffybland New Member

Name:
    Kathy
    Me too! met one once, just as gorgeous as the livers and blacks I've met!:grin:
  15. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Look at my thingy elsewhere :002: :mrgreen: ...some very interesting stuff :)

Hope things are more settled at yours now :)
  16. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    I note that Chatham Hill Retriever is marked TM (Trademark). These are cross bred dogs, nothing more, nothing less - some will be great, others not so good. I just think Americans try to make money out of anything they think will sell. Shame they are using the flatcoated retriever - sincerely hope this does not go the way of the labradoodle or cockerpoo. Everyone should remember the saying "sold a pup".
  17. Kicks

Kicks New Member

Name:
    Hazel
    I've never heard of them, though that said most gundog breeds labs/goldies/spaniels have the paler colours don't they x
  18. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    Re Yellow Flatcoated Retriever. Yellow is not a colour permitted in the breed standard and cannot be registered, Yellows do sometimes appear in litters of pups. Personally I think that yellow should not be allowed in the standard (although there is nothing wrong with a yellow pup). However, there is nothing finer than the true "black" flatcoat with a coat in full bloom - shining like satin and showing tip top health. The flatcoat was bred to be a black water loving dog and to have a lubricating oil in its coat for that very purpose. This is not in a golden retrievers and is very often missing in the liver flatcoats. Black is the colour as far as I am concerned - yellow and liver are recessive colours to the breed.
  19. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    For Ramble - I looked on the site you gave and noticed that Ch. Inkwells Named Shadow was back in the pedigree. I saw the Inkwells dog win Champion All Breeds at Crufts and he was magnificent in his black coat. Yes the yellow can look nice,(pale and interesting) but the original blacks are truly magnificent when well bred. I can't help but think that as the yellows are not able to be registered and will, therefore, be a mixed bunch not necessarily true to type and ability - as they are bred from then the line will deteriorate. I do not think that this can be good for the breed as a whole. Even in the livers there are some very poor examples of the breed, the colour often fades in the sun and becomes dull and dry looking - although I realise I am setting myself up for criticism here. Sorry - just what I believe.
  20. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    Hiya
    No criticism from me...I have 2 of the black jobs, although love a good liver too! :) I also like the look of the yellows if I'm honest, as long as they have good heads (and feet, but thanks to breeder friends I have a thing about nice feet! :) )

There are some very very poor black FCRs out there, let alone Liver or yellow...I think a good Liver FCR can be stunning...just as a black FCR is :) Depends on the breeding.:002:
  21. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I have had two in classes in recently history - one Black and one Liver - both Beautiful dogs ....
    (But not for me)