You got to believe eyes to see how gentle my Husky playing with a frog. Videos

Discussion in 'Siberian Husky' started by Wei Wang, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Wei Wang

Wei Wang New Member

Name:
    Wei
    Janet likes this.

You got to believe eyes to see how gentle my Husky playing with a frog.

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Phil

Phil Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Phil
    Wei Wang likes this.
    Lovely.
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship!
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sorry Wei, he is lovely, but if he's so gentle - why the prong collar?
  6. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Because it is a training collar and I guess the dog is a puller. Though it should be fitted much tighter and higher just behind the ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    In many of Wei's videos the dog is unleashed, and in those where he is on the leash he does not look like a puller. Surely if he is safe enough to be unleashed why would he still need a training collar?
  8. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Wei Wang likes this.
    I havent seen any videos of him on a lead. A dog can be okay offlead but still pull on lead, a lot of dogs do. I don't know the dog or how he is, maybe it is for lead training, maybe for corrections. Either way it is the owners choice and I don't get why it is even questioned.
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Malka likes this.
    Sorry am not even going to look at video has I have seen dogs that have been injured by owners using prong collars
  11. Wei Wang

Wei Wang New Member

Name:
    Wei
    Kitkat_ likes this.
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for your watching and comments.

I hope the following answers could ease some of you guys concerns.

1. Wearing a training prong collar when Max is young is going to benefit Max for the rest of his life. With proper training, Max is doing great for now compare when he just got our home when he was 8 weeks old. I always hear people told me never off leash your husky. Now I walk Max average 2 to 3 hours a day and most of times, he is off leashed. Check out the following video when Max is wearing a harness and enjoying the off leash freedom in our neighborhood. If you own a husky, please let me know how many of you can do this.

2. I can assure you that the prong collar does not bother Max that much at all as he has been trained not to pulling at any circumstance. But keep it in mind that Max is still a 1.5 years old Husky. If Max saw a squirrel and he is no on a prong collar, he could easily pull my wife into the woods. But with the prong collar, he will think it twice before he is going to do that. Currently we are alternating a harness and prong collar. We are considering take off the prong collar when he is turning into two years old.

3. I have to admit that I feel both Max and our family are very lucky as we love and respect each other. While walking Max near a shopping outlet or a public park in Boston, people are amazed with how well Max was behaved. Just before the school year start, my son (this is officially his dog as he is studding at UConn, I am sure most of you understood why) and myself took Max on a 5 day trip from Boston to Niagara Falls. Hope you can feel the love here. From this video, you can tell Max even not pulling when he saw a black squirrel.

4. I uploaded around 100 videos about Max since the first day Max arrived our home. Check the following link out and see if you feel any ignorance and/or abuse here. I am sure we have many dog experts here. I am interested in any suggestion and advice here as Max is our first ever dog.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/weiwanggm

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the lovely world god created for us.

Best regards,

Wei
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's and Malka like this.
    @Kitkat_ I'm sorry Katie, but I have thought long and hard about this, but have to say that your post made me feel sick. I never thought I would see a illustration of how to cause pain to dogs on this site - especially using a smooth coated breed as an example. All dogs can be trained using modern, positive methods. Prong collars are coercive, and belong to the Konrad Most generation of trainers. We have come a long way since the mid 20th. century.
    I do regret the likelihood of causing further friction on the site, but I just can't let this post go unchallenged. These methods are neither acceptable to modern trainers, nor to the general UK public.
  13. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Wei Wang likes this.
    Please tell me how they cause pain when used correctly? And I do not mean badly fitted and yanked on.
  14. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Wei Wang likes this.
    I won't argue on prong collars anyway, I wouldn't use one myself, but if someone does want to then I think they should have the information on how to fit and use one properly first.

The dog in the video is clearly not in pain or distress, he is clearly in a loving home and I don't see why the choice of collar is a problem unless it is harming the dog.
  15. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Malka likes this.
    From the RSPCA site Katie:

16. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Nope, they apply pressure, they are painful when they are yanked on yes, but a gentle pressure does not hurt the dog at all. Do these dogs look in pain or frightened? Any tool can be abusive when used incorrectly or in the wrong hands. I don't think the general public should be able to buy prong collars, I think only trainers should be able to do base work and teach the owners how to use one if really necessary, but they are available so we should let people know how to use them correctly rather than having them used incorrectly without knowledge.

17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  18. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Those pictures are from collars that have been left on too tight and have become embedded into the skin, can happen with anything that is left too tight.

Click for picture
  19. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Also that link you posted has a pretty good comment in it

20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    You say yourself this is your first dog, A few observations I have made, to be honest the video of the dog running free in the road is why EXPERIENCED husky owners, know never to allow them off lead, your dog is still young, he has not yet reached maturity, when he does all the prong collars in the world will not stop him following his instincts, you are sadly playing with fire to think you have suppressed this breeds natural instinct , also I cant understand how you say training with a prong collar will be beneficial to your dog for the rest of his life, or when he is off lead.

You may carry on with the belief that you have suppressed his natural instinct to run, but I hope that does not come back on you one day, when you cant recall him, I would have been more impressed if whilst he was running, you got an instant recall.

Prong collars work by inflicting pain, people will argue differently and come out with the usual " used correctly they are OK" but the reality is 99.9% of use is used incorrectly and that is why you dog stops pulling, because the prongs pinch on a dogs neck .

As Katie so kindly offered a video to demonstrate the use of the prong collar used correctly, it very telling the language the trainer uses........ in short he is saying even used correctly the collar inflicts discomfort . lets not forget he is demonstrating this tool in a closed environment without any distractions for the dogs.

Sadly the prong collar (or pinch ) along with the e.collar is far more common in the US than it is here in the UK, so don`t be surprised when you get negative responses from the majority of people here, they are nothing but a torture tool to get your dog to do what you want without putting the effort into good lead control.

Lets not forget you have picked a breed of dog that by its very nature is a puller, that is what they are bred to do, PULL......most people who own this breed will utilize its natural instinct and engage in a sport that allows the dog to play out its genetic heritage.

Very few would allow their dogs (once mature) to run in open spaces off lead, as they are experienced with the breed and would never take such risks.

It begs to ask that if you are not strong enough to walk a husky on a lead, then maybe it was not the right breed for you.

I am 5ft and when I had my Boxers, could walk then both together on a collar and lead without any fear of being dragged after a cat or onto a road.

It took consistent training , it can be done without any form of torture instruments being used.

I`m sorry but your video made concerning watching, to see a dog running free in such an environment,
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    6JRT's likes this.
    I think you would have trouble finding a qualified trainer to give the initial guidance, as there are very few that will even allow the use of plain check chains these days. However, the main reason not to choose forceful methods is that positive dog training is more comfortable for the dog, and produces more reliable results because the dogs actually enjoy their learning. The likes of Jean Donaldson, Karen Prior, etc. have shown us that the clicker box, (or word), is far mightier than the chain. Yes, any owner is free to make their own choice of canine neckwear, but to my mind, the sooner these devices, and e collars, are removed from the hands of the general public, the better.