Afghan Hounds - What are they like personality-wise? Questions

Discussion in 'Afghan Hound' started by TabithaJ, Feb 17, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Afghan Hounds - What are they like personality-wise?

I was looking at a picture of an Afghan Hound in a dog mag the other day, and realised that this is one breed I've never seen, ever.

Has anyone here ever owned one or currently own one? What are they like personality-wise? The article I was reading about them stated that they tend to be rather 'aloof'....?

Thanks for any responses :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Sue L on here has had them since 1972, but since a couple years ago, sadly no more. :( She will fill you in Im sure.

This was her last one:
    [​IMG]
  4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Wow - what a beautiful dog!!

Many thanks BORDERDAWN :)
  5. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    We had a rescue Afghan for some years..... she was a beauty.

Rather aloof, but also a bit on the nutty side.

Life was never dull.......
  6. Sue L

Sue L New Member

Name:
    sue
    Affies are addictive - one is never enough:grin:

They are independent by nature but love to share their lives with their family. They prefer to sleep on the sofa - rather than you- and would also like to share your bed. They are aloof with strangers but once anyone came into my house and sat down you would find them under the dog! All mine were good with my children - I had four when I had my first child. They are not the best breed to run loose unless in a safe secure area. Having said that I used to run 4 loose at a time but it was not a quick walk. One was very independent and could only be caught when he was ready. People think they are thick, but they aren't they just do the things that suit them and in the time they want. They can open doors, fridges and clear worktops but that is why they have long legs and necks:lol: People have trained them to a good level of obedience and even done agility with them so they can be trained but it takes time and effort.

From 6mths - 18mths is the worst time coat wise whilst they loose their puppy coat. You would need to brush them from root to tip every day to keep mats at bay. Once the adult coat is through I have found thorough brushing once a week and bathing every 3-4 weeks (unless going to a show_) was enough to keep the coat in good order.

They are not the breed for everyone but I really enjoyed being owned by one.
  7. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Thank you so much, that's great, they sound fab!

Nice to know they are friendlier than I'd been led to believe; they seem to get a bit of a negative press in the sense that every article I've ever read stresses that they are 'aloof'. But from what you say they sound like they are just a bit wary with strangers - which is perfectly logical to me!

Once again many thanks :)
  8. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    Few sighthouds will be all over you and want to immediately be your new best friend like Labs will. Several sighthound breeds tend to be particularly aloof aside from Afghans e.g Borzois and Salukis, although now and again some of them haven't read that and can be quite friendly;-)
  9. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    There's nothing like an affie for glamour!
  10. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    [​IMG][/IMG]My favourite colour - a silver
  11. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    [​IMG][/IMG]But the white is stunning too..
  12. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    [​IMG][/IMG]So many colours and all beautiful
  13. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    [​IMG][/IMG]The face on this Domino boy...
  14. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Looks like a black masked cream. Lovely !:grin:
  15. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    [​IMG][/IMG]Blue brindle
  16. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  17. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    I had afghans from 1973 - 1992, I still love them as a breed but the coat can be hard work!
  18. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    [​IMG][/IMG]Silver blue
  19. MarcusF

MarcusF New Member

Name:
    Marcus
    I've got two :mrgreen:

Amazing dogs and IMO certainly the most stunning breed their is. They turn heads, literally. I can't see myself ever being without one now.
  20. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Welcome MarcusF :)

I meet a black one regularly on walks called Rolo. He's an older man now and potters about the field while his owner does the same. He's good off lead and is gentle and friendly with everyone. He'll lean on you for affection and sits and gives his paw for a treat! He's certainly not aloof. It's funny because he's one of the few dogs (a Great Dane being another) who've made Axel look small! Gorgeous boy and regal looking. His owner has had 4 and says they're a nightmare until they're about 4-5 then tend to settle.
  21. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Be sure to check out the Dogsey Afghan Hound breed profile too :)