New dog growling at me, please help!!!! Behaviour

Discussion in 'Yorkshire Terrier' started by SAS01, Dec 12, 2011.

1. SAS01

SAS01 New Member

Name:
    Sally

New dog growling at me, please help!!!!

Hello everyone...Sorry but I'm new on here...Two days ago I adopted a stray Yorkshire Terrier, he was very nervous at first but has been getting much better until I tried to trim his claws which are very very long...While trying to do this i cut a small bit off and after that he tried to bite me and growled like mad...I told him no and tried to comfort him which seemed to work...We had to pop out in the car and he still seemed fine...However when we came home he curled up on the chair, I later sat next to him, yes its the same place I cut his claw, but he started growling at me!!!! Now each time I try to get near him he growls at me!!!! I did not nick him in anyway and the claw has about half an inch before the blood line...His Claw did not bleed at all...Please can someone tell me how to get round this as its very very upesting!!! Many thanks ...SAS:-(
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    I'm no expert but I think I would have given him a bit longer to settle in before I cut his nails.
    If they are so bad why not take him to have them done professionally?

Good luck and glad to see you here :grin:
  4. SAS01

SAS01 New Member

Name:
    Sally
    Hey I agree but he was walking badly, they are so long it looks like he has never had them done...He's maybe 3/5 years of age...Thank you for replying anyway,,,:grin:
  5. SAS01

SAS01 New Member

Name:
    Sally
    Also I thought the vet may scare him!!! seems I've done it instead...
  6. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Try sitting next to him and offering him treats. He will soon forget about the toenail incident and associate you with yummmy treats.
  7. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    This must be very upsetting for you. Two days is not so long as far as settling in goes, and your little chap is probably more than a little worried about his new surroundings.

I agree with Nippy that if the claws are very long and causing problems, then it might be best to take him along to the vet, but in the meantime it is really all about gaining his trust isn't it. Give him time, and a bit of space. Every now and again put a treat on the floor by your feet or on your leg and let him come to you in his own time. All the cuddles and fuss can come later when he knows that you provide all the good things in life and are not going to hurt him.

Good luck

Just seen your post Maxine........snap!
  8. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan New Member

Name:
    Nick
    Well done for rescuing a stray - the world needs people like you!

The growl is a warning because he does not want you to hurt him.

Try giving him a bit of space and chucking occassional treats at him. If he looks more comfortable sit a bit closer (maybe after a day of two) and gradually close the distance down, using treats. Eventually he will settle and trust you as the above posts have said.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
  9. SAS01

SAS01 New Member

Name:
    Sally
    Thank you so much for your reply, he's a lovely wee thing and so far has followed me everywhere, now he is just staying away...Yes I should have waited and let the vet do it but I was worried and could not get an appointment till the end of the week, meanwhile he was walking badly...I will try the treat thing and see how it goes....:shock:
  10. SAS01

SAS01 New Member

Name:
    Sally
    Thank you so much for your help...I will let you know how he goes...:-(
  11. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Also, if he like to play with toys, try sitting on the floor and playing with a toy yourself. Don't encourage him to come over to you, in fact don't even look at him. Once his interest is aroused, accidentally let a toy roll his way. If he picks it up, great, get another toy and play with that until he shows interest then do the same. Hopefully, he will come closer and closer and eventually start playing with you.

Don't rush it and don't try to encourage him to you.

Good luck. Hope everything works out for you both
  12. SAS01

SAS01 New Member

Name:
    Sally
    He's just taken some warm chicken from my hand so maybe he will forgive me, I really hope so...
  13. SAS01

SAS01 New Member

Name:
    Sally
    Thank you so much, he's taken some chicken from me so i hope he will come out from the corner soon...
  14. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    When I first adopted Dex he growled at me constantly, and tried to bite me numerous times. He was scared.

I would suggest giving your boy some space to settle in. Two days is nothing - he's probably wondering where in the world he is. Let him come to you when he is ready to.

When he does approach or follow you, then of course lots of fuss and praise and treats.

I would leave any grooming etc for a while EVEN if it needs doing. Dexter would not let me brush him for weeks - it has taken a long time to be able to properly groom him.
  15. SAS01

SAS01 New Member

Name:
    Sally
    Thank you I will let him come to me...He's a lovely boy just hope we can sort this out...:-(
  16. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

If it's any consolation, my first four weeks with Dexter were a total nightmare!!

We were all scared of him and he was scared of us!

It can take a while for a new dog to settle down, so though it's hard, try to relax - 'cause the more YOU relax, the more your dog will relax too :)

Just take it one day at a time.
  17. Bitkin

Bitkin Member

Name:
    Sally
    Oh please do! I love rescue stories, having always had these dogs myself. I think that sometimes we expect too much from them too soon, and forget that they may have been through quite a bit before they arrive in our homes, which makes them cautious and a little stand offish. Still, it makes the end result even more worthwhile and rewarding.
    Be patient, ignore any negative reactions and don't try to make all the running......... and well done for taking him on:lol:
  18. TomtheLurcher

TomtheLurcher New Member

Name:
    Maureen
    I guess as the other posters say patience is key , I have 2 rescue dogs and there will be lots of changes in the coming weeks and months , the trust will build up gradually and the dogs confidence grows in their new surroundings, good luck with your new boy and I am sure he will settle in time ;-)