White GSD X Malamute...??? General Chat

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by TabithaJ, Dec 26, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

White GSD X Malamute...???

At our regular park there is a really lovely couple and they have a gorgeous GSD. Apart from the fact that he plays rather roughly and some dogs respond badly, he's a well behaved dog and has a good recall.

Today the couple told me they have just got a nine week old puppy - a White GSD X Malamute.

I'm just wondering what this cross would be like? Would the Malamute recall 'challenge' outweigh the GSD willingness to obey and respond to the handler/owner?

Has anyone had any experience of this breed mix?

I'm intrigued to meet the pup but have a horrible feeling it must be from a puppy farm as I can't imagine any reputable breeder producing this cross.....?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Could be a great dog, could be a nightmare, who knows. If it's from a puppy farm the parents could have any kind of temperament and still be bred from. Fingers crossed they don't have too much trouble with it.
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I have come across this mix many times, it is usually because the owners want a very fluffy GSD. The woman I met with a puppy some time ago had driven from Wiltshire to Scotland to get it as she had lost an older one.

The problems in giving opinions on crosses are

a) each cross will be slightly different with regard to which characteristics are particularly prevalent in that individual ie more AM and less GSD and vice versa.

b) competency of owner, ie if they had a pure bred "handler dependent" dog their dog could be equally badly behaved.
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I agree with the responses you have had so far. It will be interesting to see what the pup is like when you get to meet him/her.

Did the owners give a reason as to why they went for this particular cross?
  6. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

No, but I remember when they got the GSD, they chose him online, he was in Wales, and they got him a day after first seeing his pic.
  7. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Sadly a lot of people still think that's the way to buy a pup. Very few people IME are aware of how to pick a decent breeder and what to look for / ask. It's a shame a certain journalist didn't include things like that in a certain documentary..
  8. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    The Mals that tend to be used in creating mixes tend to come from one of 2 lines - neither of which I would wish to own :(