£60,000 Puppy. General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by GsdSlave, Apr 8, 2014.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    6JRT's, Pork1epe1 and Azz like this.

£60,000 Puppy.

Wednesday 10pm on channel 4
    This one-off film follows a unique competition in which one lucky British dog owner will win the chance to have their beloved pooch cloned.

South Korean dog cloning company Sooam Biotech sell their services worldwide. But this is the first time they have marketed their dog cloning techniques in the UK, offering Britain's dog owners the chance to immortalise their canine best friend.

The programme features an array of dog lovers, who cannot bear to think of life without their four legged friend, as they invite the South Korean scientists into their homes to meet their dogs and prove why they deserve the chance to have their pet cloned.
    The programme also explores the science of cloning and the ethical questions that surround it.

I remember reading about the competition last year , and feel they are preying on Vulnerable people, chasing the illusion that they are getting a young version of their much-loved pet!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Sounds interesting!!!

What I think would be better than cloning tho, is cryonics! - Where you and your pet get frozen and then 'fixed up' and reanimated sometime in the future :D
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    Somehow I do not fancy cryonics Azz although I quite fancy the idea of being "fixed up" and Pereg not being epi. But I am happy in the present with all it entails as I am "comfortable in my skin".
  5. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    I will watch out of interest. Would never want to mess with that kind of stuff though. Our dogs are unique, and we love them because of that. As much as I adore my two, I wouldn't want a clone of them.
  6. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    Oh think ill watch that. Not sure i agree with cloning a dog but should be a interesting watch
  7. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Oh dear, I fear there could be some disillusioned people when they find their 'cloned' dog may be identical to their original dog in looks but not necessarily in anything else.
  8. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Even if i could clone phoebe i wouldnt. Mainly because it still wouldnt be phoebe. It may look the same but would be brought up so diffrent it wouldnt turn out the same. And with phoebes constant skin problems i wouldnt wish that on another dog
  9. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Well even if I could have cloned Syd and Rio and they looked the same and I brought them up the same I wouldn't do it and I really don't understand why anyone would tbh. Surely it's their little quirks that make them unique and make us love them so. I'd rather go and buy myself another well bred pup and put in all the effort required to ensure they turned out as perfect as can be but with a cheeky twist. I celebrate dogs for what they are and each and every one is unique. I find it a bit freaky to want to replicate a current pet. I think there's something wrong with the owner and they need help not exploiting.
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    swimdog and GsdSlave like this.
    I dont think I be watching this, I love all of my dogs, each one has his/her own personality, which is what I love about my dogs, I don't want to have any of them cloned full stop.
  11. swimdog

swimdog Member

Name:
    jackie
    6JRT's and GsdSlave like this.
    Same here, as much as I love Zack he is a one of and the only one for me. I don't believe in messing with nature.
  12. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Well...what can I say about that?

It appeared to me they chose Winnie purely because her owners were very well off, as the guy admitted himself to the other scientists. The owner of Winnie at the end summed up exactly the thinking behind their decision when she said "I can phone up and order a Winnie whenever I want"....

It was distasteful. I feel sorry for the "surrogate" bitches used in these experiments too. Being put through unnecessary surgeries and rearing of puppies at the benefit of the scientists who only have money on their mind.

Besides all that, the two Maltese clones were hardly shining examples of the whole process was they?

Ugh. That's aside from some of the other owners who didn't seem exactly "normal". I don't mean that to be offensive, and hope people know what I mean by that comment, but they all seemed rather strange in some ways. Had to roll my eyes when the "female dog whisperer" deluded herself into believing she's got some god given talent for "rehabilitating" animals. More like she's worshipped the original "Mr Dog Whisperer" a little to much ;)
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and 6JRT's like this.
    The poor surrogate didn't even seem to have a name. I do hope that she isn't just a disposable puppy vessel - there must be a limit to the number of surgical interventions she can be put through. I found the programme really sad on so many levels.
  14. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    Was finding it intresting till the end when we saw all the clinic stuff and surgerys. The dog at the end with the puppy didnt seam very impressed with it atall
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    According to the report [and yes, I know it is in the Daily Mail] the scientist

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-forced-quit-university-making-results.html
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Couldn't have put it better myself, just another scam to exploit vulnerable people .

The only one who spoke some sense was the husky woman., and why did the surrogate bitch need a caesarean ?

Disgusted at the whole thing
  17. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    6JRT's likes this.
    Oh yes, the Husky woman, forgot about her! Yes, she spoke some sense. None of which seemed to register with the scientists.....