Attitudes towards designer dog breeds Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Roxy191, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Roxy191

Roxy191 New Member

Name:
    Roxanne

Attitudes towards designer dog breeds

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Done, I think you need a few more "Why?" questions and room for explanation or comments. I mean I wouldn't buy a designer dog anymore than I would buy a Coach bag, even if money were no object. But it's not so much because I'm against designer dogs. It's because I feel strongly about adopting over breeding for profit. The shelters are full of pups who look like certain breeds, paying big bucks for perfect lineage seems wasteful. But that's just me.
  4. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Love my bull Adoption is great but there are more than 2 choices, not just adoption or breeding for profit.

I think question 8 should be reworded, it seems to be asking why people breed Designer Dogs specifically not just why people breed dogs.
  5. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Did not do the survey because it is designed for a outcome, and very insulting.

*4. Do you think that designer dogs are popular?
    Joking right? They would not be breed if not found popular

*5. Would you buy a designer dog if you had the money?
    Most pure bred dogs cost more than designer dogs.

*7. How strongly do you agree that designer dogs are genetically healthier?
    Already been proven to be wrong by scientific studies, and designer dog have proven to produce Frankenstein dog enough times that the byb breeders doing this that I should be asking you what is happening to them.

*9. What is the most important reason why people do not breed dogs?
    How about the boxes:
    A) Unhealth tested parents or poor test scores.
    B) You can find a mutt at the local reschule
    C) Breeding should be done to further and improve upon it.

Your answer in this that you list are insulting.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    LMost likes this.
    I thought it could be worded differently but didn't find it insulting.
  7. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Sorry to say this is a forum about breeds.

So yes number 5 and number 9 are insulting.

Think the people here who have show dogs paid more for them than a labradoodle cost. Also those with Pure bred dogs.

Why not to breed answers are beyond a joke. Why would anyone past trying to get close to the answers they want from the general public, list those as answers?
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    True, it's about breeds but I don't think it is exclusive to only speaking about pure bred dogs. I'm sure not every member has pure bred right.

I thought # 5 was simply a dumb question. I'm not insulted but we all will perceive things differently. I think it doesn't even need to be on the survey at all because it is a baseless question.
    If they want to know people's interest they should simply ask Would you/have you bought a DD....that'd make more sense.

8# & 9# I didn't think the answers made sense. So I do see what you are saying there. Like I said they need to change some of the questions / answers if they are actually trying to find out what people think.

I have show dogs, my dog in my avatar is a finished champion. I don't want a Labradoodle. I don't want one for free, certainly not buying one. Each persons situation varies. I was given a show dog of Champion parents & National winners. So I'm sure most people getting Labradoodle paid more than me. I haven't bought a dog myself in years. When I did I paid the exact same for my pure bred show dog who had already begun showing as I did my working cross bred.

What people pay is going to vary by breed (or mix), the region, market / demand, specific prices typical of the breeder & pedigree, lines, ect. Sure I've seen the DD which are less then some pure dogs. I've also seen people paying $1500 for an F1 cross by a byb from parents with who knows what temperament & health. Can only shake my head.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The survey appeared to me as if it had been done as a school project by someone who had just picked designer dogs as their chosen subject.

I apologise to the OP if I am wrong, but that is how it seemed to me.

My dog is not pure bred, she is not even a cross-breed let alone a designer dog. She is a mutt. A mongrel of no known origin. But I love her and to me she is perfect.
  10. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I also don't mean to knock people who get pleasure from having pure breed dogs. It's your choice. If it makes you happy go for it. And I can kind of see the advantage. Sophie's nutty behavior and Callie's bad knees both could have been avoided with dogs from a reputable breeder.
  11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed New Member

Name:
    tumbleweed
    Lets get away from them being called "designer dogs", they are mongrels, ie crossbreeds. The problem is people thing they are something special which they arn't.

Because these so called breeders have some mutt from down the road get at their female dog they then try and give them some special name, so they can con unaware people out of shed loads of money.
    I wish these so called breeders would be honest and own up instead,and if an "accident" happens between two dogs only charge for the puppies keep and vet check.

I am not talking about owners and their choice of dog or health discussions that is down to them. It is this craze to try and give a crossbreed some sort of recognition as a breed that is wrong
  12. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I didn't take it that you were knocking them myself. I thought it important to mention that their are more options when adding a new pet. I really wish the OP would explain the purpose of this survey. I am with you on DD specifically. I could be a millionaire not going to get one.

That's not what is happening. The majority of these dogs are intentionally bred. They are not accidents. That doesn't mean they are being responsibly bred though. But it isn't an oops litter. People are choosing to cross certain breeds. Most are bybs and of course the commercial breeders (mills) jumped at the opportunity to make money this way as well.

They are not being recognized as a breed. Not sure where our why the term designer dog was created. I do think it's just a marketing means. It's never been used in the past by purpose / working bred crosses.

Some people do think they are getting something special, not sure why. As anyone can cross two breeds it isn't rare or a specialty. I don't know that the breeders are conning anyone into thinking it's a breed though. The issue is dishonestly about the pups being healthy or "the best of both breeds". When there is no guarantee of that. Many simple recessive diseases span multiple breeds, as do polygenic diseases. As well you can't guarantee phenotype of the litter either. If someone is very selective and knows what they are doing they can get certain traits they want in a cross. People trying to make cute pups & big bucks no. There can be variance in size, structure, coat type (but poo/doodle breeders try hypo for all pups) and behavior / temperament.

I'm sure you know most of this so I'm not aiming all at you even though I quoted. Just saying how I feel about them.
  13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed New Member

Name:
    tumbleweed
    No probs all views are valid