What breed would you suggest?? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by dlguyer, Jul 21, 2015.

1. dlguyer

dlguyer New Member

Name:
    Lisa
    Azz likes this.

What breed would you suggest??

We are a family with 6 young kids ages 15 months-9 yrs. We are moving to a new home soon where we will be having customers come to our place of business right behind our house (shared driveway). We would like to find a dog that will stick with and look out for the kids. Yet also one that won't bark and be aggressive with every customer that comes along. We would also like to get chickens so it can't attack the chickens either. It would be an indoor / outdoor dog. Any suggestions of a protective, yet not overly protective breed? Thanks!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Azz likes this.
    First breed that sprung to my mind was a Rough/Smooth Collie. They tend to be watchful of strangers, but not threatening in their approach/look which obviously is important for you with visiting customers etc. They also tend to be incredibly loyal family dogs and are described as being particularly good with children.
  4. Mr.Bulldog

Mr.Bulldog New Member

Name:
    Mike
    Azz likes this.
    Folk seem to be asking for this quite a bit on here of late. Its worth bearing in mind that breeds that are protective are described as protective by virtue of the fact that they are protective. Whether you get a dog that is discerning or goes for anyone it doesn't know is largely down to yourself and the individual dog. Broadly speaking what might fit your bill would be the likes of Dogue De Bordeaux, Mastiff, English Sheepdog, Great Pyr and the likes. These will have a good presence and watchful nature without being overly intimidating to the majority of folk and they generally tend towards obedience.

Chasing chickens will likely come down to how you manage the interactions between chicken and dog in the first instance, get rules laid down right out the gate. Also dont assume that because your dog doesn't chase YOUR livestock/pets they wont chase someone elses, my dogs wont go after my motherss animals but they'd be on a strange cat/chicken/squirrel like a shot.
  5. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    Azz and Janet like this.
    I've got five dogs, three Labradors, a flat coated retriever, and a rescue foxhound. My two youngsters would try and retrieve my chooks, the eldest (Lab) wants to play with them, and I wouldn't trust the foxhound with them. My second eldest girl is fine with them, she helps clean out their coop when I go in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for visitors, most dogs will bark, mine do, and sound pretty ferocious but would lick anyone to death.
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Jcarpentier, Azz and Malka like this.
    Staffies are brilliant with children & will protect them plus your home.

They are not the nasty children killing machines that the media makes them out to be.
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Azz likes this.
    My man does a good job of barking if he sees or hears a stranger. He will also get between me, my Jade, or our cats if a strange dog or person approaches. I doubt he'd bite unless you REALLY forced him but I never say 100%. He's over 90 lbs, pretty fluffy, has a roar of a bark, has a high held curled up tail like an Akita, and he's jet black to boot so when he barks and moves into defense position... it does the trick.

He will not chase or kill any wildlife at all. Neighbor had chickens, he was no threat to them. He was never raised or trained this way, he simply has absolutely no prey drive. Hes mostly Labrador. Giant but active and/or watch type breeds such as the Great Pyrenees plus many small children and lots of visitors sure doesn't sound like a good idea to me!

Bear in mind that it's how you raise the dog that will really have an impact. If you don't socialize the animal properly, then he will likely end up protective of the kids, but also dangerous and he will probably bite or act vicious with your visitors. If you socialize him too much, he will learn to trust everyone and will not be on the lookout for the children.
  8. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I don't suggest a bully breed. They really are not truly bred to protect people and things often go sour with them when people try to use them as a protective breed. The bite statistics are there because people who probably have no business with a bully breed get them and then try to get them to be "protective".

Moreover, if someone does decide to threaten the kids and the dog is forced to attack or thinks that he needs to attack, his breed will most likely mean the end for him. Staffies are not given clemency when they attack people.
  9. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Azz likes this.
    Moreover, if someone does decide to threaten the kids and the dog is forced to attack or thinks that he needs to attack, his breed will most likely mean the end for him. Staffies are not given clemency when they attack people.

Now see different areas have different laws. Where we live if a family dog attacks guarding it's property or people it's a case by case basis. As long as the dog wasn't guarding a crack house, they usually rule in favor of the dog doing it's job. I just wouldn't recommend an AmStaff or Staffie because they're so strong.

Both breeds adore children. But if they get super happy and start leaping around they can knock over adults like so many bowling pins, never mind small young children.

I love those chicken and dog pics, especially the last one. I was thinking of a breed that is docile with children, easygoing with strangers, happy and easygoing yet can set off a serious warning growl if need be...an English Bull Dog. They also aren't usually big on prey drive so the chickens would be fine. Most English Bull family dogs I've known spend their days snoozing and snorting, basking in the love of their humans.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  10. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Azz likes this.
    Lab or Setter, most people look at them as big goofballs, and most are. There also generally good with kids.

Big dogs that will give people pause and meet your list are Newfie's and Saint's.

Stay way from guardian breeds and LGD.
  11. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    Trust me, Tau does the most blood curdling growl, all of them have big barks and sound intimidating if you didn't know them ;)
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Azz and CaroleC like this.
    Whatever breed you get, it's down to training as to how the dog behaves.

One thing I would ensure is that, if getting a puppy, get your chickens first so that the dog can be raised from the start to respect them
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz and Janet like this.
    I had three Golden Retrievers in the 60's and 70's. The first was Field Trial bred, the other two were show breeding. I never had any problem with my chickens, pony or goat, and they were so good when our daughter arrived. Training is really all about gradual, supervised, exposure in a relaxed environment. You will also need to ensure that your six kids allow the puppy enough time to rest, and learn to gradually adapt to your lifestyle.
    GR's are not noisy dogs, and shouldn't frighten off your clients, but should be alert if there is anyone around when they shouldn't be.
    If you decided on a GR, make sure you buy from a breeder who health tests, do ask to see, at least, the parental hip scores and eye certificates.
  14. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz likes this.
    I don't seem to see as many Goldens about nowadays. They were much more common when I was young (long time ago!). I knew lots - lovely dogs every single one.
  15. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Azz likes this.
    But would the visitors appreciate the level of attention a Staffie feels obliged to give?
  16. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    You haven't had a proper licking until you've been licked by a Staffie!
  17. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Labradors have now lost their family dog status due to them being in the top 5 breeds that have bitten children under 12 years old for the 4th year running.

Top 10 dog breeds that have bitten children under 12 years old in England
    1. Dachshunds
    2. Chihuahua
    3. Jack Russell
    4. Labrador
    5. Cocker Spaniel
    6. Beagle
    7. Border Collie
    8. Siberian Husky
    9. Great Dane
    10. English Springer Spaniel
    The one dog that the media makes out to be a vicious child killing machine, the beautiful Staffy is not even in the top ten breeds that have bitten children under 12 years old

So in short any dog can bite a child regardless of its breed.
  18. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I always recommend Labradors. I'm not sure what on earth is wrong with the Labradors in England or whatever, but they are #1 most popular breed here in America which is far larger than the UK and are no where to be found on the bite lists.

People always rave about the differences between the slimmer headed American type Labrador dogs and the broader headed English type Labradors, perhaps there's something to that IDK. They really don't bite people here, and certainly not children.
  19. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Azz and CaroleC like this.
    The reason the Labrador is at the top of the list in statistics for biting is due to their popularity, and because of this they are on the top of the list of registration , I think on average there will be over 40,000 Labs registered each year, and that`s not including the unregistered ones, we have a divide in the Breed , working and show lines, along with the byb and pet breeder, when you have such a popular breed it gets abused, and people do not take temperament into account when breeding.

A well bred Lab is a joy to own, sadly the not so well bred ones outweigh them probably 9 to 1....

I would be interesting if you have the statistics to back up your statement about the US Labrador, given the size difference in the two countries and the Lab being as popular there as it is here.

When you have breeds that are popular, they are in danger of indiscriminate breeding, this is what has happened to the Labrador.

The above is a very bold statement to give out, Labradors are dogs not a species on their own, any dog can bite given the right circumstances, and to say they dont bite people, and emphasizing Children is misguiding to say the least.
  20. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I don't like lists, as they are statistically biased. They take no account of how many of that breed there were in the general dog population, or even whether the dogs were actually pure bred. @Tarimoor's recent injury will have been recorded as bite from a recognised breed - but it doesn't mean that she has owns an unreliable dog! When Tweed opened the back of my hand at an Obedience show, I begged the nurse not to record it as a dog bite - just, 'accidental catch whilst playing tug with her dog'. (My fault for having thin skin anyway!).
  21. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    My aunt had a series of English Bulls when I was growing up. The last was Topper. He had his own human sized bed in the living room. Visitors coming in and he might open an eye and grunt. The grandchildren were quite small. I remember them clumbering over him or laying beside him, perhaps pulling out his tongue or lifting his eyelid. Slowly he would lift his immense head...and turn it facing away from them...and go back to sleep. He was also the school football team mascot. He happily attended every game played, baseball too. Some English Bulls do have health issues so it's important to find an excellent breeder. Topper was blessed, healthy and happy he passed on at age sixteen. Family, school officials, players, and former students held a memorial service. He was buried with honor at the football field.