Growling At Spouse? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by lovemybull, Dec 16, 2015.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Azz likes this.

Growling At Spouse?

Okay first question...in breed threads I couldn't find " American Staffordshire". Basically the UK Staffie with longer legs and sleeker build. But back to Sophie...Neurotics R Us, my poor girl, pee'd my daughter's bed again last night. Plus after I was almost sound asleep she growled at my husband.

A background is that hubby has nights when he might not get home till 3am...maybe later. I obviously go to sleep first and the dogs sprawl around me. Callie even in deep sleep, anyone tells him to move and he crawls down. Sophie...not so much...the question is what would be the most effective command?

Mama is asleep, hubby is disabled to the point where he can't really sound scary anymore. How to get a serious tone with her? I'm thinking just slapping a magazine next to her. But will she charge in fear or cower? Difficult situation, they respect me. Callie is great with anyone except male strangers. Sophie has always been a nutjob across the board and now she's old too.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Is it too obvious to say management - dogs kept out of bedrooms if it is causing a problem?

If so, the alternative is lots of training by all concerned to get a solid 'off' (or whatever word you want to use) so that 'off' means off and becomes as natural as breathing
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I know how much you love your dogs Leslie, but I would restrict access to the bedrooms, not just because of Sophie's reaction to your OH, but for your daughter's comfort too. Jumping on the beds can't be helping with Callie's knees either.
    Many dogs do seem to become stubborn and grumpy when they have claimed a comfortable raised space, such as a bed or chair. If your dog has this trait the only options are, not to allow the dog to claim the space, or as Chris says, to make an instant, 'OFF', part of the deal.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I agree with the above comments ‘Prevention is better than cure’, Have you been to the vets, is it an incontinence issue or is she doing it for other reasons, is there a pattern to when she pees on the bed or furniture, either way id keep her out of your daughters room,If husband says something, and she growls then you should back him up and make her do it, or keep her off the bed until your hubby is in bed, and he invites her on.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    GsdSlave likes this.
    AmStaff are Am. Pit Bull Terrier not Staffie. Which she isn't likely to be judging by her appearance and that they are uncommon BUT I think the solution is the same no matter what bully or lines she is.

Keep her out of the rooms and off the beds.
    You can crate her at night if need be.

Buy some books about AmStaff/Pit Bulls especially those related to training. Have you ever sought a behaviorist for any of the issues?

If he wants to risk getting bit then he can slap the newspaper by her. There is always a risk that a dog like this might bite in a stressful or fear inducing situation.
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Could make the landing [if you have one] the dogs sleeping area, that way they will still be guarding you but will not be growling at you or your hubby anymore.