harness Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by Angus69, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    Azz likes this.

harness

Hi Folks. I have a Mini Pinscher that is very good at getting out of her harness, I have tried quite a few types of harnesses. But I am at a loss as to what to use to keep her in a harness, I walk her on the nature strips on a main road & don't want her hit on the road She rares up on her hind legs & shakes like a fish & pulls the harness of backwards. The picture is of the harness I am using at the moment but she got out of that one today. anyone out there had this type of issue with their min pin.

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    Hi Gilbert you need a Houdini Ultra Harness they are roughly £18 to £30 depending on which size you need.

Harness
    941038_1101682663196511_1961142637941485108_n-500x500.jpg

Harness on dog
    529619_10151359480470800_1176464708_n-500x500.jpg
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Your girl is gorgeous :049: - welcome to Breedia from Malka and little Tikva, who is a cross Dachshund/MinPin.

I am not sure how large your girl is, or her weight, but my year old cross is rather small although heavy for her size at 5.5 kg as she rather skinny, but she has rock solid muscles in her shoulders and thighs, and is extremely strong, but even though I like the look of the harness your girl wears, it looks to me to be a bit too large [and too heavy to be comfortable] for her. I definitely would not put such a solid harness on Tikva.

The harness Tina recommended would not, I think, be suitable for a six-month old puppy, although a harness which does fit over her head would be less easy for her to back out of. I would also suggest a softer harness for such a young, short-coated puppy.
  5. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    6JRT's likes this.
    That's exactly what I need, The houdini ultra harness, I think would be the answer. We were looking at the harness we have & thinking of altering that one by putting another strap behind it so it wouldn't be able to be pulled over the chest area to let her escape. So I will get one of those ordered & hopefully our little houdini will stay attached to the lead.I knew I wasn't the first to experience a Min Pin escaping, reading on the internet it seems they are experts at escaping from anything. Thanks for the advice. .
  6. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    Thanks for your reply, She is the smartest little dog we have ever owned I think they can read your mind they seem to know your next move before you do. She has reached her full size and is filling out a little now, we have to be careful not to let her eat to much as she is a little bit of a guts & expect to get what ever we are eating as well .They are a different dog to handle very determined to have their own way if they can get it. We have become very attached to this little dog because of the intelligent s and her ability to learn fast, If we can stop her from being such an efficient watch dog. our neighbors only have to sneeze & she hears them & sets up a growl for a few minutes till we convince her that it ok for them to be there .they thy are a ball of ,muscle & continually on the move looking for the next bit of mischief. I think we are winning the training with her but time will tell. her harness is a padded one & she doesn't mind wearing it other dogs are a problem she wants to play that's why she gets out of her harness. enjoy your little dog the are a lot of fun & great company.
  7. Benjamin1995

Benjamin1995 New Member

Name:
    Benjamin
    I love the Ultra Paws One Adjustable Pulling Dog Harness, as it can be used for pulling, training, walking or control and I've never had a dog get out of it. I use it for skijoring.

By the way, I love your Miniature Pinscher! She is just beautiful.
  8. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    Thanks Benjamin. They are great little dog. That harness looks interesting, The problem with the Mini pinscher is the deep chest & small around the body at the rear end which allows them to pull out of the harness backwards, If there is a way out the min pin will find it. I will keep it in mind though just in case I have any more escapes.
  9. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    Hi.It's been a while since I posted on this forum & it was suggested I get a houdini ultra harness, which I did from the UK, It worked great I haven't had an escape since, The only thing I find is that Delta becomes frozen to the spot when I first put it on her, but soon gets going when I tell her she is going for a walk or a ride in the car so thanks for the advice. I have another problem with Deltas ears she first got little pink lumps on the under side of her ears which went away but has left her with dry flaking around the edges of her ears. I have had her to the vet a couple of times & he has given us Apex PMP ear suspension Which doesn't seem to to be doing any good. Anyone out there that can offer any advice I am at a bit of a loss as what to do here. She also picked up ring worm from dog school which we are treating with the PMP ear suspension & a medicated shampoo they are getting better now.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello again! After buying countless harnesses [which my vet is always happy to take and donate] I finally found the perfect one for Tikva.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...32534860399.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.nuRq5v

It is four-way adjustable and as she wears it all the time [day and night] which she was happy with, so I bought another two - she now has purple, camo blue and camo pink - so there is always a clean one when the one she has been wearing needs washing. It does not come up high under her chin and with a handle on the back is easy for me to hoik her up without it rubbing anywhere on her.

I had originally bought the Medium size but the second two I bought the Small size as even with all the straps adjusted the Medium is still loose - but no way can she get out of it.

11. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
  12. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    Hi I have one that looks just like that one which she wears around the house & in the car, But she can get out of that one by standing up turning backwards & pulling it of over her head because of the large chest & small back end.That's a nice looking dog you have there very bright smart looking dog
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I know what you mean about the large chest and small waist, and Tikva is also a dancer - leaping up and twisting at the same time, but there is no way she get out of this harness. That is why I like the four-way strap adjustment.

Incidentally, that is not her in my avatar - that was my Pereg and I do not have the heart to change it. My Tikki Tikva is on my welcome - although that was taken a few months back, Tikva now being 18 months old.

This is Tikva and I really must take some new photographs of her.

14. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    6JRT's likes this.
    Take a look at the Julius K9 Power harnesses. Both my dogs wear them. They have an adjustable chest band and an adjustable girth strap. You can make them extra secure by buying the Y strap which attaches to the chest strap and goes between the legs and is attached to the girth strap, again it's adjustable!

This photo will give you some idea of how they fit

SAM_1599.JPG
  15. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Could be ear mites - Which are called Otodectes mites are extremely contagious and are one of the most common causes of ear-related problems in puppies and young adult dogs. The average life cycle of these ear mites is about 3 weeks. Ear mites will bite people, causing a rash of raised red bumps.

Could also be a yeast infection - Yeast is more prevalent in the summertime as it thrives in hot and humid weather and often gets mistaken for allergies.

could also be ringworm - Ringworm can be caught from a variety of sources ranging from the soil, other people and also from your pets. It is one of the few infections that can be transferred from animals to humans. As the fungi can live on stray hair follicles and skin cells, it is quite easily transmitted. One species of ringworm (Microsporum gypseum) is a soil organism and can be picked up spending time in the garden.

Only thing I can tell you is to go back to your vets or go to another vets for correct treatment.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would suspect that a mite is likely to be the cause of the problem, and agree with 6JRT's, you really need to go back to the vet.
  17. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    They are a very good looking harness I can see why they keep your dogs under control.
    We had a light color dog living next door that looked a lot like yours, But I cant remember the breed. he was a bit noisy barking when I walked up & down the driveway, They moved now & we have little border collie living there now she is nice & has made friends with Delta so that's great.
  18. Angus69

Angus69 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    CaroleC likes this.
    When we took her to our vet he took a scraping from her ear & put it under his microscope he said definitely not mites, suggested it could be an allergy from something around the garden so I have cleaned her little run up the side of the house of most of the flowers & plants that might have been a problem, But she is due for another trip to the vet, I might have another vet take a look & see what he thinks. I think I mentioned that she was a smart little dog, But we didn't expect that she would talk, She says hello & I love you. I had seen it on youtube but thought someone was manipulating the noise some how. I nearly fell of my chair when she repeated the words we said to her. Our daughter said I will believe it when I hear it so I sent her a DVD with Delta talking. Haven't heard back yet.
  19. jsm

jsm New Member

Name:
    jsm
  20. jsm

jsm New Member

Name:
    jsm
    Hi I'm new to the forum but I recommend a harness from a company called Golly Gear (U.S. based) The harness is lightweight and and the velcro fastening is very very strong I am totally satisfied.
  21. Gothamgirl

Gothamgirl New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    My girl was an escape artist. The only one that worked 100% of the time was a brand called Houdini . Best ever