Best time for a hip replacement Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Boerboel, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty

Best time for a hip replacement

Hi guys
    Badly in need of some expert advice, sadly our two year old girl has got such bad hips the vets are telling us to keep her lean, and not let her insurance lapse as she will need a total hip replacement when she gets older, is that normal I would of thought younger the better,

Now one of the things that has bugged the hell out of me is from 6 months old I have been telling the various different vets at our practice that something was terribly not right with her hips, the way she sits, she has no muscle on her back legs worth mentioning,etc but each one of them (one of which was the resident ortho expert)said it nothing to worry about,

We bit the bulletin and had her xrayed Friday(as originally we were going to do wen she was spayed, but a ongoing phantom and a couple of crisis's with our other 15 plus years old dog have been going through we have put it off, )

But we felt we really wanted some answers and booked her in as vet said her hips were giving her some pain,
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You really have me confused as, almost word for word, - even to the misuse of the word bulletin - this post has appeared on another forum, and under a different pen name.

Nothing unusual in that, except that the other poster is referring to a non pedigree Lab, which was sourced from an ad on a UK internet pop up page. This bitch is owned by a person resident in the UK, who is currently considering a referral to the orthopaedic department at Liverpool University. Of course you will already know that.

It is your prerogative to hide your identity, but you have said that you have had Boerboels for decades, and live in the US. Very confusing for me.
    Maybe you have a logical explanation?
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @CaroleC - found it. Profile of poster says "Location (IP-based) United Kingdom [​IMG]"
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You are clever Malka - how did you do that?
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Google.
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    This is very odd. What's the point in being a troll?
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    It's possible they've posted in multiple places... I agree that the post is confusing, perhaps the OP can elaborate and provide more insight..
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If this lady is a Brit with a background in gundogs, why would she say she has never seen a GSP with a tail? Docking has been banned in the UK for over ten years. Why would she suggest that it is optional to transfer a microchip registration from a breeder to the new owner?
    Although UK based, we are a multinational forum, and to my mind, that adds a lot of interest. However, the individual poster's standpoint needs to be clear, especially where there are differences in law. I really dislike online conflict, and hope the OP can explain the confusion.
    BTW She did have a good response to her query in another place, and I have nothing to add.
  10. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    She said she's from the USA, and from what I've gathered looking at her posts, she doesn't use UK English. She uses American English and acts as if she's unfamiliar with UK measurements and stuff.

Peep this:
    http://www.forum.breedia.com/threads/tooth-cleaning.16744/#post-207937

http://www.forum.breedia.com/threads/when-do-you-pick-a-name.16703/#post-208144

She refers to the pup as two different genders. What? Now she also claims to have a two year old dog and a 15 year old dog? Does not mention breeds of these other dogs. Very confusing indeed.
  11. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    There are quite a few Mini Schnauzers in Hungary with both cropped ears and docked tails, which is against the law and not the practice in Hungary. They're dogs that have been imported from neighbouring countries where it's still legal to crop and dock. Perhaps that could be true for the GSP that the OP has seen?
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I did wonder about her post on the Crufts thread.
    I have my suspicions this member was here before using a ‘similar name, the posts are similar, same birthday, same breed,puppy same age.
    Quote The breeder named my pup. I kept it. He was from the "H" litter - the 8th litter they've bred, so each pup had a name that started with H. He was called Hans from birth, I liked it, and felt no need to change it.
    This looks like her profile pic.
    https://www.greenfieldpuppies.com/african-boerboel-puppies-for-sale-pa-md-de/hans-13-PUP
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It is a long way to travel from the US to the UK just to see your pup's father compete in CGC.
    Co-incidence?
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes. I had taken this to mean the KC PreBeginner Good Citizen competition. However, I have just had a look through the Crufts obedience competitor profiles, and could not spot a Boerboel taking part in any of the Crufts Obed classes.
  15. GalaposLandSnail

GalaposLandSnail New Member

Name:
    Lena
    Euthanize the dog. Why keep a dog that has that bad of hips?
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Quote Since his hips are so bad, I'm going to neuter him (gastropexy at the same time) and find him a pet home.

Yet you are prepared to pam yours off to some pet home.
    Double standards me thinks.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think that would probably be the attitude for a working dog. The active life of many pet dogs with HD can be extended with targeted exercise and pain management. Hip replacement is a popular option with pet dogs owners too.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  19. GalaposLandSnail

Name:
    Lena
    If somebody is willing to take the pup, with full disclosure that he has hip dysplasia, that is fine with me. If I can't find him a home, he will be euthanized.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
  21. GalaposLandSnail

Name:
    Lena
    LMFAO - You took that seriously? I'm not going to euthanize an entire litter of puppies. Worst case scenario I will sell them on spay/neuter contracts so they can't be bred. :rolleyes: