Hi everyone Introductions

Discussion in 'Your Introductions' started by Fenrirwolf, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Fenrirwolf

Fenrirwolf New Member

Name:
    Chris

Hi everyone

Hi everyone just wanting to introduce myself and pick some experienced brains. I'm Chris 31 years old in South Yorkshire and own a 13 year old staffy I rescued and have had him around 11 years. Before that I had Dobermans growing up. In the future after our little old man passes (I'm hoping to get him to 15 at least) me and my partner are looking for a stable family companion/guard Dog to raise from a puppy. I'd also be interested working them in obedience and maybe progress to ipo when they're old and confident enough if the shoe fits. I'm experienced with Rottweilers from family having them on farms, seems hard to find healthy ones these days though so after doing loads of research I'm considering a Presa Canario. Does anybody know any good trustworthy breeders over in Gran Canaria to read up on that produce big stable family Dogs with working ability? I've been on the Dogo Canario database but it doesn't seem to load up properly at the moment.
    Cheers
    Chris
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Hi and welcome to Breedia.
    I thought the Presa Canario was banned in this country? Though I may be wrong. I had an English Bull Terrier before Mr Bronson and she was brilliant. Very clever, loving, silly and a strong dog, but loyal to last. Though very stubborn at times if you communicate properly they are really obedient.
    Hope this helps somewhat?
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    To the best of my knowledge, there are only four breeds on the UK banned list, and Presas are not one of them.
    If you are looking for a giant breed that is pretty sound, usually happy and trainable, and is capable of performing well in obedience and working trials, it might be worth having a look at the Bouvier des Flandres. Quiet and steady, but cautious with strangers. Coat care could be a downside though, as they do need trimming, and there is rather a lot of dog to bath and comb.
    They are not my breed, but I did help out at their club shows for many years, and a friend has had a few that have qualified to WD & TD level in working trials, so I have grown rather fond of them.
  5. Fenrirwolf

Fenrirwolf New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Haha your old English bull sounds like a clone of my lad. Nah Presa's are legal in the UK. Dogo Argentino/Fila Brasileiro/Japanese Tosa and anything they say that measures close to a pitbull is banned here. Stupid in my opinion. Just have a licence system that educates and requires owners to pass a test to own certain breeds, would make a lot more sense.
  6. Fenrirwolf

Fenrirwolf New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Thanks mate, I've not really considered them tbh because I'm not a fan of long hair. I've read they're very intelligent though and the Germans worked them a bit in WW2. Apparently Hitler was a fan until he went to pet one and it bit him on the balls so the story goes. Dunno if it's true or not haha.
    I was looking into either a presa, boerboel or corso. I heard Boerboels tend to be more stubborn but corso's and Presa's do quite well in obedience and PP. I wish I could have a Doberman again but I don't want to risk sudden death from DCM which seems to have got worse and worse in the breed over the years to the point the gene is present in pretty much every bloodline.
  7. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    Sorry that's where the song comes from about Hitler!