How will I know? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

How will I know?

Good morning,

I would like to ask a question regarding my dear boy Copper. How will I know when it is time to put him to sleep? I know this is a positively morbid question. I will also post on Dogsey as well. Thank you for any insight.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Oh, for those of you who don't know, Copper is an 11 year old lab/greyhound mix who was diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy a few days ago. Thank you.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You will know Jessica because Copper will tell you. Just look into his eyes and love him. And keep telling him how much you love him and that you promise you will not let him suffer.

I knew there was something not right with Pereg for a few days but had not expected her last night of terrible seizures as I think she was on a fairly good sz-free streak. But when I looked at the last photograph I had taken of her about a week earlier I could see in her eyes that it was time - I just had not noticed in in that photograph then. And I was lucky in that Ram came round at maybe 12 midnight or 1am - I forget now - to give her the peace that she deserved.

It devastated me but I knew I had no choice but to let her have peace - she was so young and she had had enough.

Hugs and love - Juli xx
  5. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thank you so much for the insight, Juli. I don't know how I will find the strength to make the decision when the time comes but I will have to. I am a mess of emotions right now. I don't want him to go through this. I don't want to go through this.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You will be devastated but you will cope. Because you will have to for Copper's sake. And you know that you can always tell us all how you are feeling because so many of us have been in your position in the past.
  7. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I have had a Golden Retriever who had to be put to sleep at 6 years old due to malignant cancer in her lymph nodes. I was about 19 years old. It was devastating then but somehow it's different now as this is the first dog my husband and I have had together. Copper is about 4 years older than our daughter.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I think it is always different when it is a dog that you have with your husband than any in the past. Does your daughter know that Copper is poorly? Please do not shut her out of this situation - when the time happens tell her about The Rainbow Bridge - there are poems and songs on YouTube suitable for children of all ages.

It has made me think of when Father died. My daughter was 5 and my son just 3. They knew Grandpa was ill because I had been taking them to the hospital to see him for nine long months and in a way it was easy to tell them that because the doctors could not make him better, and HaShem [G-d] could not help the doctors make him better, He decided to take Grandpa's soul to where he would no longer suffer.

To explain what a soul is I told the children to close their eyes, and then asked them if they were still inside behind their closed eyes. Because that was their soul. And Grandpa's soul would forever be with them even if his body was not.

And they understood and accepted my explanation.
  9. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    We have discussed with her that Copper is not well. We did not tell her the ins and outs of the disease but she understands he is sick and will not get better.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Do what you honestly believe is best for your dog, other people can only say what would have been best for them.
    For me it’s when they have more bad days than good.
  11. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I think Copper may have answered the above question. Last night, he struggled to get up after lying down for a few minutes. He was finally able to get up and rested on his bed for the rest of the night.

Today, while my husband, daughter, and I were in the living room and Copper was in the office, he stayed in the office. This NEVER happens. He always seeks out his people...

It is with a heavy heart I admit I may need to make the call sooner than expected.
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It's never an easy decision to make, but so close to Christmas is devastating. While devastatingly depressing, it's better than seeing them suffer more each day. Thoughts are with you are yours xx
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Jessica - Copper is telling you now that he wants peace. That will be your early Christmas gift for him - the gift he is asking for. Peace.

We are all with you, supporting you and Copper - you are not alone having to make that decision. Our hearts are with you. xx