Whats normal doggy poo? Health

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Wizegrl00782, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica

Whats normal doggy poo?

Hello all! I was wondering what is normal doggy...poo:oops: ? Mila's poo has seemed dry & crumbly & sorta like a pale clay-ish color. Shes been pooping in the house alot too which is frustrating! she'll poop outside but then shes pooped 2x already in the house just now!:eek: When i cleaned it up thats when I noticed the poo texture & color. She chewed on a (natural) bone & I saw the bone fragments in the poo too. Should I be concerned? She does drink alot & eats her dog food (which is Rachel Ray's dry dog food). I must add that like every other feeding I put a TBS of olive oil in her food & mix it up. I read olive oil & coconut oil was good for dogs. Is that true? TIA for the advice!:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Jessica - That is almost like "how long is is piece of string.

Has she had a poo check and if so did everything seem normal? Do her poos seem regular and normal to you. and what does your vet think? Tbh I do not think my vet has ever seen any of my dog's poos but believe me I always knew which one did!
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  4. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I haven't had the chance to take her to my vet yet for a check up & all that. To me it just doesn't seem right but my judgment sometimes is questionable!:eek: lol. She was doing so good not pooping in the house for a while then just within the last few days shes pooped in the house even after she spent an hour outside & pooped out there too. Im wondering maybe shes got an upset belly? Im gonna lay off the olive oil & see if that changes anything :)
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Bones can give crumbly and light colored stools because of all the calcium, TBS of olive oil seems a lot I give olive oil, Heiko gets a ‘dessert’ spoon 2/3 times a week and he is 34kg..
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  6. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanx for that info!:) so i should cut back on the olive oil? I only give her a TBS of olive oil when I go to fill up her food dish. Should I only give her a TBS once a day? I do have coconut oil so I can switch it up a bit & give her that instead. Change up the taste :) i only give her a bone whenever we all leave the house & r gone for a while. Keeps her busy :D lol. Its not often we all leave the house. Lol
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If you are feeding a good kibble it is likely to have a fat content of around 15 - 20%. A little oil can help the coat, but a tablespoon is quite a lot, and could lead to yellowish motions. Vee has said that she only gives Heiko a dessertspoonful, and he is a large boy. I use Coconut oil, but only give 1/2 teasp. to my Beagles, (13k and 17.5k).
    Dogs are as individual as we are, no one size fits all. I would try cutting back to one dessertspoonful a day, and monitor the results for your dog.
  8. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I will definitely cut back on the olive oil!:) doggys definitely r different like people!:) thanks for the info!:)
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    [Everyone is going to groan at this as they know that I am a raw feeder]. But even accounting for the difference in their sizes and the equivalent food they had/have, both Pereg and now Tikva have the same equivalent amount of their bone meals, meat, vegetables, supplements etc - both ate the same according to their weights, but both had different poos.

Different colours, different consistencies, and the different times each would poo. The only difference being that neither one's poo smelled.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Olive oil and coconut oil contain a lot of fat and calories so keep an eye on her weight.
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I'd also keep an eye out for a sore stomach if you are finding bone fragments in her poo.

I take it the bones you give are raw and not cooked in any way?
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Having re-read the OP where Jessica says "Mila's poo has seemed dry & crumbly & sorta like a pale clay-ish color." that is quite normal for a fully raw fed dog - raw as not in cooked.

And I never saw bone fragments in either Pereg's or now Tikva's poos, but neither had cooked bones. Had I seen such it would be Vet pdq. Because dogs fed with raw bones should never show any fragments in their poos.
  13. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Im sorry I shoulda specified...natural bones that r not raw. They r vacuumed sealed pork femurs u get at Wal-Mart. I NEVER buy raw hides :eek:
  14. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Will do! :) she was really skinny when i bought her but she looks great now. But I will definitely watch her weight cuz I definitely dont want her to be overweight :eek: lol
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The vacuumed sealed pork femurs you get at Wal-Mart are already cooked. And usually smoked. They are definitely not raw bones.

They are not raw hide but they are cooked bones - and definitely not raw bones. Just pre-cooked, flavoured [usually smoked] cooked bones.
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    It’s not advised to give cooked/smoked bones as they become brittle and easily break into sharp pieces that can do a lot of damage.
    Weight bearing bones of big animals are not recommended as they are much harder and can break teeth.

I prefer to give mine raw lamb rib bones once/twice a week as they are softer and easier to digest.
    They can be messy so I put old sheets down and they have learned to eat their bones on them.
    Knuckle bones are ok, but don’t let her get carried away and eat too much at once.

Bones are dissolved by stomach acids and then passed in poo, if you see bone pieces in the stool then she is probably eating too much bone at once and her body has not adjusted to properly digesting them, digestive enzymes/ probiotics might help.

Personally I wouldn’t let mine eat bones unsupervised, ‘just in case something happened, if you want to keep her occupied when you are out far safer to get a large ‘Kong’ and stuff it.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tikva has a frozen [bought fresh and frozen by me] either a chunk of turkey neck, straight from the freezer, or a chicken wing ditto - or if I have them a large whole frozen sardine - head, guts and all - for her morning meal.

But she is a great chomper although even so she is within sight and sound of me when she chombles.

Just in case...
  18. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    You have a point there about leaving her unattended with a bone like that! I never thought about that. Yes she totally demolished that bone when we came back home. So what u said is true about eating too much bone cuz when she pooped on the floor I saw small bone fragments in it. Ill get a Kong & stuff it with baby carrots. My mom used to do that with her GSD when she was away for the day. So i know what a Kong is ;) thanx for the info!:)
  19. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I forgot to ask earlier...is that why Mila kept pooping in the house because the bone gave her an upset belly? She seems to be ok now. Hasn't (so far!) pooed on the floor since earlier this week. I did notice this afternoon her poo looked normal.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hopefully the pooping now has now finished and maybe it was the bones that gave her an upset tummy.

As I have a small dog who chombles and everything [leave my knuckles alone please] and who has been raw fed since she was weaned, I think that dogs who are raw fed might cope with bones RAW but not cooked, might find it easier than dogs who have never been raw fed,
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think Malka (Juli) is quite right that raw fed dogs might cope better with bones. The BARF followers tend to feed meat, (flesh), alone for the first week that they make the change, which lowers the pH level in the dogs stomach, enabling them to digest the regular amounts of bone that they will process in their raw diet.