Akita Coat Question Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by BarbaraB, Mar 26, 2018.

1. BarbaraB

BarbaraB New Member

Name:
    Barbara

Akita Coat Question

Hi everyone, I am new here. I have 2 American akitas. A short hair (standard) and a long coat akita. I live in Colorado and my dogs love to stay outdoors year round. I live on 35 acres with the forest surrounding me.

The coat issue. Unfortunately my long coat akita, Keiko (Japanese for adorable) this summer constantly got in to burrs and pine sap and God knows what else. We tried keeping her brushed but she is not fond of that. We normally have her groomed a couple times a year, usually in the spring and then in the summer. Just sanitary clipping, her tummy to stay cool, and her leg feathers clipped. She has thick thick hair. We neglected to get it done this last year until it was too late and the groomer said she would do what she could. We went to pick her up and she shaved her totally naked!! Even her curly tail! Ok, maybe an 1/4" buzz. I was shocked, but she said she had to. She left the full hair all over her head so she looked like a lion. Anyway my question is this....her hair is growing back slowly and it is a horrible course nasty feeling hair. I had a breeder once say don't ever shave them as their hair won't grow back the same. Is this the case? Will it get better as it grows. Any thoughts.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Crikey, I bet that was a shock and I’m sure a sorry sight to see
    I think I would be really upset if that had happened to me. I think a phone call from the groomer prior would have been in order.
    I would be just as you are, no idea what is going to happen
    I hope someone can answer the question for you.
    The only thing I can offer is that when a dog is shaved for surgery the hair does grow back, but, on this scale I honestly don’t know
    I hope being out in the forest isn’t too uncomfortable/prickly for your “ lion “
    Maybe she needs to be kept nearer to home for a while to avoid any injuries
    I do hope you get some answers
    Philippa
  4. BarbaraB

BarbaraB New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Thanks Philippa! I tried to post a picture, but it wouldn't let me. We had to put long sleeve shirts and sweatshirts on her during the really cold here in Colorado. She looked so funny, but was warm. We took her to our Texas home for a couple months to give her hair a chance to grow back, but temps were getting to warm for both dogs so brought them back up here. She is so happy to have lots of land to roam on, but because she is almost 11 and has arthritis in her back she doesn't get too far away. Both my dogs are on meds for arthritis, Dallas is 7 but has had two major surgeries on his back legs....but you would never know it as they both run like crazy after squirrels and other critters. They are spoiled dogs. I just hope Keiko's hair becomes soft again, as right now it feels terrible.
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    They sound to me that they have very privileged times being able to run free
    I’m an Akita owner and very rarely are able to let him off lead, so super jealous
    I hope all goes well with her coat
  6. BarbaraB

BarbaraB New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    We are lucky. My 2 are the 2 sweetest akitas. They will lick you to death! Dallas lives dogs and people. Keiko is not as friendly with other dogs sometimes. The Akita I had before these 2 was more assertive. Very protective. They are a great breed.
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    its all sounds normal to me, you cant blame the groomer for having to do the only thing possible for her coat, this happens all the time, people take their dog to the groomer and expect them to perform a miracle on the dogs coat, then are shocked to see the groomer has had to take drastic action, her coat is going to take a good while to get back to that thick double coat, but you have to play your part and keep up a good grooming routine, you have a breed that has a double coat and is going to blow that undercoat once maybe twice a year, i suggest you buy a good brush to remove the undercoat and get her used to being groomed weekly (daily is better)
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    If you want your LH Akita to look smart and typical of the breed, you are going to have to play your part. It is no good saying that she isn't fond of being brushed - she should have been taught to stand still for grooming from being a youngster. Dogs will do what you have let them get away with.
    If I was you, I would buy a slicker brush, (the type with the angled metal pins), and as the thick undercoat begins to regrow, use this and a metal comb to keep the fluffiness to a minimum and allow the shiny guard hair come through. You may find that a good coat conditioning supplement will help too.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It is not advisable to shave double coated breeds unless there is no option, mainly because it’s an insulation that keeps them warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Chances are that the coat might never be the same, and the older the dog is, the less likely the guard hairs will re-grow. While the undercoat will re-grow, the upper hairs sometimes do not. This gives the dog a patchy, scruffy, frizzy appearance.
    https://familypet.com/truths-and-myths-about-shaving-dogs-with-double-coats/
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    these are the best for double coated breeds to get the undercoat coat

[​IMG]
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Lots of people swear by them but personally im not a fan of the Furminator it is a blade, ideally the guard hair is supposed to be unaffected, but if the angle that you're using it is off, or if you use it too often, it can cut or change the texture of the guard hair, plus you have to be careful not use to much pressure or you can scrape the skin. Same thing with a shedding blade.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I tried a Furminator on Pereg who shed like mad even when she was not blowing her coat, and I was not happy with it - neither was she.

But she was OK with a shedding blade, which covered my yard with loose hairs without any pressure.

Luckily I now how have a non-shedding pup.
  13. BarbaraB

BarbaraB New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Please note I did not blame the groomer for anything. Was just surprised how much she had to do. We normally brush and groom our dogs regularly. Just got out of hand with her and her long coat as she gets into the pond, lays in the snow and other things.
  14. BarbaraB

BarbaraB New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Our groomer says she prefers just using the comb type brush. She doesn't like Furminator either.
  15. BarbaraB

BarbaraB New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Thanks for info. That is what I had been told from a breeder of Akita's, not to shave. We had to put her in boys long sleeve t-shirts and sweatshirts when she went out in the cold. She is 11, so she may not get her softer coat in....but she is happy and enjoying life and that is what counts, even if she doesn't look quite as beautiful as before.
  16. BarbaraB

BarbaraB New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    She does stand still for brushing but will try to nip you if you get to her back side. That is due to a bad experience with a groomer several years ago, plus she has arthritis in her back and hips.