Life Expectancy? Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by CaroleC, Apr 5, 2018.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave, Janet and Malka like this.

Life Expectancy?

Just been looking at this site, and thought it might be of interest to others.
    www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/dog-life-expectancy

Gives 12 - 15 years for my breed, but of course there are sure to be wide variations.
    Nevertheless, useful as a general guide on a breed forum.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Very interesting and informative site. Thank you Carole for posting it.
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    10-12 for Yoji, I bet the time goes so quickly. We are conscious about not letting him get overweight as that can cause lots of additional problems, not just for Akitas, humans & animals alike !
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    15 for Chico, 12-15 for Pepe.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I never thought Eddie would make ten, but he will be in what my daughter used to call 'double digits' next month, still seems to be coping OK. Young Merry will be nine in June, and is nowhere near grown up yet. I keep reading of Beagles reaching 15 - 19 y.o., so I'm hopeful ....

There were some very unusual breeds in that list. Always something new to learn about dogs!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The site says 15 for both Dachshunds and MinPins - as Tikva is a cross between those two breeds and if she takes after them both, it is highly likely that she will outlive me.

Sobering thought...
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka, GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    15 years for Border Terriers.

We did a lot of research before we got her and it was one of the major considerations for us (along with health)
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    10-13 yrs for Gsd.
  10. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thinking back over the years, the oldest dogs I've had were 18 and nearly 18 - cocker spaniel and lurcher. I felt very cheated when I lost Bogie the cocker at about 11. The miniature poodles and border collies I had all made it to 15 and 16. The bitches seemed to live longer than the dogs.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My oldest was Spike the Löwchen at 17. I still felt cheated as his heart and body were still sound, and he had a full set of pearly white teeth! He was so confused though, and couldn't remember how to do the simplest thing.
    For the breeds that I have had experience with, (with a few sad exceptions), I find the figures given to be fairly accurate.
  12. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    CaroleC likes this.
    10-12 for the Labrador and also 10-12 for the Great Pyrenees. These two make up the majority of Nigredo's mix. He's 6 and he's a fat tub of lard. Still does just fine though so far but I don't think he will live past those expenctancies if he even lives up to them.

10-12 for the German Shepherd and 12 for the American Pit Bull Terrier... Jade is mostly those two I think. We have considered putting her down many times for a very large tumor under her belly but have never been able to do it. She will be about 14-15 this year.

My last dog was mostly Labrador and Pit Bull with some Chow Chow. He lived to be nearly 16. Tough dude he was.

Admittedly Jade is very moody and her quality of life has diminished but she's still okay and so long as she has life in her, she stays alive. She no longer stays inside at all. She has very little patience left for other animals now and it just wasn't working anymore.
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    The oldest Gsd I had was Kyra at 14
    11 and 12 were the next oldest
    The others between 3 and 8yrs.
    Though I can remember when I was young mum had one who was 17, she was blind and deaf.

The Akita’s were 11 and 12.
  14. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sam, my Border Collie was 16. Jade (mix & match) was 11 and succumbed to cancer, bless her.

Rosie is my last dog as I'm getting older now so I wanted to make sure that I tried to cover as many bases as possible to ensure she stays with me a very long time. She'll be 7 in September. Time just flies by, unfortunately