It is with great sadness... General Chat

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Wizegrl00782, May 6, 2018.

1. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica

It is with great sadness...

That I must give up my sweet Mila:( I've tried to make this work so bad its just she is not good with my young children. She bit my oldest son when he was just innocently playing with her & that was when I had to make the decision to give her up. :( my son is ok...the skin wasn't broken, but that was enough for me & hubs to say shes not safe with our kids. I also found out the other day when I called my vets office & the lady told me that Mila has a bite record. Apparently she bit the girl I originally got Mila from, her 4yr old son. Something she failed to tell me!:mad: I would have never gotten Mila had I known that. I'm so sad about this because she is such a sweet & loving dog its just shes not good with small kids. She grumbles at them when they wanna simply pet her. Shes awesome with me & hubs & other adults, just not with small kids:( I'm assuming that girl let her son abuse Mila when she was a wee pup cuz little kids that age don't know how to handle pets. I've taught my kids how to nicely handle our pets. Idk...I'm so upset over this because I wanted this to work out. Shes been doing great as far as me working with Mila. She just doesn't like kids:( so Ive posted an ad & already I have a lady interested in Mila. She has a husky & has been around them all her life so she knows what she'll be getting into! Lol. I'm really hoping it all works out on her end. It was a great pleasure talking to everybody here & learning the things I learned on here! Thank u again for the advice!:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I hope Mila soon finds a permanent child-free home. This post must have been hard for you to write, so thank you for letting us know what has happened. Best wishes.
  4. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thank u. Yes it was difficult to type out. I feel like I failed her & I wanted to make it work so badly. I am making sure that she goes to a permanent home where someone knows how to deal with malamutes. This lady that messaged me said she has experience with huskies & even trained the one she has now. So Mila would have a play mate if all works out with the potential person. She has to get things prepared before we meet up.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You should not feel bad or blame yourself Jessica. You have done your best and the person who is to blame is the one you got Mila from, as you should have been told that Mila has a record of biting and does not like children.

You have not failed Mila - it is a very hard decision to give up on a dog and must be very distressing for you, but you have young children and they must come first.

Like Carole, I hope Mila soon finds a permanent child-free home. (((hugs)))
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Children must come first.

I hope the re-homing works out for the best for all concerned. An experienced owner with no children sounds a great place for Mila xxx
  7. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks ladies! As much as it hurts me & saddens me I must do what is right for my family & for Mila too. That girl seen my 4 kids (when we first saw Mila & bought her) so she knew I had kids. By law here in PA it is the sellers responsibility to inform the buyer of anything like that. Because if Mila had seriously injured my kids I could sue that girl. But thankfully it didn't get to that point so thats why I have to give her up :(I will miss her so dearly:(
  8. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Jessica, you will naturally feel guilty, but, you shouldn’t! The irresponsible thing to do would be to keep on as you are, if she actually bites someone that is when you would feel guilty
    I would make the same choice as you, as hard as it is, well done
    Your heart will ache and you will feel sad looking at photos, but, try to feel happy at the times you had fun
  9. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thank u!:) it has really hit my 8yr old son the most because he really loves her. But I had to explain that we all have to go thru emotional moments like this because it will make us stronger :) I remember when I was his age we had to give up my beloved Beagle Snoopy because we had to move & couldn't take him with us. Oh yes it hurt so bad! But as time went on I got over it. To this day I still remember the fun adventures we had & I show my kids pics of me & Snoopy :) I can still hear his Beagle scent alarm howling away when he was on a hot trail!:005:I do have quite a few nice pics of Mila with the kids & videos of her pulling them around on the sled in the winter. We will certainly have fond memories of her:) I just wanna find her the best forever home she deserves.
  10. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Update!

I am very happy to announce that Mila will be going to her forever home tomorrow!:041: I had a guy message me & after chatting he definitely wants to take her! Hes single, no kids & is very active he said. We've been chatting today & hes all excited about bringing her home:) he said he had a husky/Dalmatian mix so hes aware of what he'll be getting himself into!:D as happy as I am about her going to a good home, I can't help but feel so sad!:( I've been an emotional mess! I'll miss her so much!:( So I gave her a bath & did her nails & shes all spruced up for her new owner.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Best wishes. I hope Mila settles in her new home quickly, and has happy life.
  12. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    She went with her new owner this morning. I did good & didn't cry like a baby!:D she warmed right up to the guy that took her. He said he'll keep in touch with me. He has a male Beagle & he told me he introduced Mila to his dog & she loves him now. So I'm sooo happy shes happy & in a good home:)
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If he is coping with a Beagle, he should be able to manage Mila.
    Did you get her bowel condition diagnosed?
  14. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    CaroleC and Malka like this.
    I wasn't able to take her to my vet but the new owner will get her to his vet & check her out. I found out shes overdue on shots & all that. So he said he'll get her fixed & take care of that. Hes really cool about keeping me updated:) he called me this evening & said she went into heat!:eek: I had to laugh! Reason why she went into heat is probably because shes around his male unneutered Beagle. Owner is handling it very well tho!:) once I find out how her vet appt went I'll let everyone know!:)