4 Month Old Akita and Cat Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Jadeninja9, May 31, 2018.

1. Jadeninja9

Jadeninja9 New Member

Name:
    Jaden

4 Month Old Akita and Cat

Hi, all,

So, I have a 4-month-old American Akita puppy at my mom's house and a 5-year-old Siberian cat at my dad's house. My mom is leaving on a trip to Romania for an entire month, so my dad, brother and I are all going to stay at her house while she's gone in order to take care of the puppy. The thing is, we can't just leave our cat at my dad's place, so we're planning on taking him with us to my mom's place and introducing him to the puppy. At 4-months-old my Akita is around 40lbs, three times that the weight of our cat, and I'm just worried that they might get aggressive and either one of them will get hurt. Is 4-months too old for an Akita to be introduced to a cat? Would bringing the cat over to my mom's be a good idea? Thanks.
    Genji:
    [​IMG]
    Cody:
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    I would be more concerned about expecting a 5-year old cat to accept being moved to a different house than whether the puppy accepts it and/or possibly hurts it.

Puppies can usually cope with living in new places - 5-year old cats, especially with a puppy on the premises, are a different matter.
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    I haven’t dealt with this situation, so, my suggestions are only suggestions. !
    I have know cats and Akita live very happily together, so you maybe ok
    If there is no other way around the situation then you will have to introduce the Akita at the cats house, try this before your mum goes away so she can help
    The use of babygates could be really helpful to keep them separate if needed and it will give them both the chance to see & smell each other, the cat can easily get through the bars if needed
    I have had cats and I know from experience and back up what Juli says, the cat will be miserable with the move, most cats would be, throw a puppy into the mix and it will be definitely go into “ sulk “ mode, mine used to hide away for a couple of days, so, don’t expect “ love at first sight “
    Let’s us know how you get on
    Both your dog & cat are really cute, I have an Akita and I know those cute looks can be deceiving !
  5. Jadeninja9

Jadeninja9 New Member

Name:
    Jaden
    Thanks for your input, guys. My dad has decided he will stay at his place for half the day to take care of the cat, then leave him alone for the night until the next morning.
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I’m sure the cat will be quite happy with that arrangement and probably a lot less stressful for you !
  7. Jadeninja9

Jadeninja9 New Member

Name:
    Jaden
    Haha, yeah. Do you know if there are places in which dogs can get socialized with other animals? I feel like it would be a good idea for Genji.