Eating habits Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by who owns who, Jun 4, 2018.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc

Eating habits

I’m curious about other dogs eating habits. Both my dogs eat more at their evening feeding than morning feeding. They both self regulate how much they eat, almost always food left in bowl in the mornings and often at night too. Some depends on the weather and my theory on why more at night is because they are more active and burn more calories during the day. Mostly just plunk down after evening meal and sleep. What do yours do?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Self regulate? I wish.
    Scenthounds just throw the lot back in milliseconds, hoping there will be enough time to grab a mouthful of someone else's ration. They are stomachs, (and fortunately hearts), on legs. My poor dears are convinced that they spend their lives on a starvation diet.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    They may not self regulate forever, but seem to do so now. They have no access to each other’s food as I feed them in separate rooms, or more often Bandit eats outside. I go by vets every month or two to weigh them
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Rosie has four meals a day and I regulate what she eats as she would carry on until she made herself sick.

The four meals are because of a tricky digestion and it suits her that way
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Tikva has her bone meal [a chunk of frozen turkey neck, or a large frozen chicken wing, and now I have whatever-type-of-whole-ungutted-fish] she has them in rotation. Supposedly at 10am but if the little booga is still flonked in her crate until I insist she gets up and goes out for a p&p sometimes it is a bit later.

Evening meal is a "wet" meal - supposedly at 8pm but as she tends to go and zonk on the couch until whenever, it is frequently nearer 9pm. That is all her vits and supplements mixed with warm water [that is the soup part of the meal], with ~125g of defrosted but not cooked mixed vegetables, and raw but I cut it up various meat. I do not weigh it as I did for Pereg but it is probably around 30g. And she gets a raw egg chucked in maybe two or three times a week, whenever I think about it.

But I do not think you can compare a fully raw fed dog with one that is fed on kibble but it is a heck of a lot more work than just putting x amount of kibble in a bowl.

I must be mad!
  7. Felice

Felice New Member

Name:
    Spot
    CaroleC likes this.
    I wish my labrador would self-regulate! He once went to stay with a friend (who doesn't have dogs). The friend fed him the normal evening dog food but then he thought that my labrador still looked hungry afterwards, so he fed him some more! After that my friend still felt that my labrador looked hungry so he gave him a tin of sardines!
  8. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Nigredo eats only once a day. I used to feed him twice a day, but this seemed to just make him beg MORE for food. He can eat massive amounts at one time if allowed, and he never leaves anything in the bowl. My last dog was much different. He would very often leave food in the bowl and sometimes just wouldn't eat or would eat only a bite. Each dog can be different.