Opinois!? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Maligator, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Maligator

Maligator New Member

Name:
    Madyson

Opinois!?

I previously had a imported Malinois, he was stolen last year, and we never heard anything about him again.. Now I am looking to get another one, will be trained in bite/protection work.
    My question is, should I get a puppy from this litter?
    Dam is Dutch Shepherd/Belgian Malinois, sire is a German Shepherd.
    Should I get a puppy from this litter or should I wait and get a pureblooded Mal?
    What are the chances of any of the puppies to have just about complete mal characteristics?
    The mother is a brindle and the sire has a Blanket coat, three puppies look like mals out of the litter, by their color, but they are newborns so I'm not sure if they would look like a mal as they grow older.. I've googled some and I honestly dislike the GSD in them, especially the head on some of them.[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    The mixing of German Shepherds, Malinois, and Dutch shepherds is used by working line breeders. Many are used by KNPV, They label the dog by appearances. If it's brindle, it's a Dutch, if it's fawn, its Malinois.

Has the breeder got any pics or info of past litters ect: on there site?
  4. Maligator

Maligator New Member

Name:
    Madyson
    The female came from LionHeart Dutches & Mals, the sire was a gsd from working lines.
    Both sire and dam have never been bred before.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Have both had all necessary health checks?
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    You are asking impossible questions where the only answer could be possibly or possibly not. When you have a cross, you can never be sure what characteristics from each breed you will eventually end up with.

If it matters a lot to you, then you should wait for a puppy from pure lines. Although that will edge your bets somewhat, even then it's still a gamble :)
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I agree, your best bet would be to attend shows / sport events, talk to breeders that way you will get a better idea, though there are still no guarantees.
  8. Maligator

Maligator New Member

Name:
    Madyson
    So that is my answer! Possibly and possibly not lol, I will wait until they are older, you cannot tell anything right now, they aren't going anywhere for a couple months.
    Both of the parents have had necessary health checks, puppies should be all good! Breeder will be getting them checked up+tested also :)
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Forgetting the cross for the moment, I would never have bred a maiden bitch with an unproven sire. The only time I had intended to use an unproven sire was with a bitch who was due for her second [and last] litter as he came from a top champion line and his owner/breeder wanted to see what puppies he could produce.

These were a totally different breed to Dutch/Mal and GSD - and they were all purebred, but even so the puppies from two same matings were different as to coats and colours, some being rough, some smooth - some being a rich red, some a bit blonder, but all looking identical when they were whelped.

And no way can anyone tell from newborn pups what they will look like even a week later, let alone what their personality/suitability for specific activities could turn out to be until they are at least 6-8 weeks old.

I get the impression from your OP that you really want a pure-bred Malinois, whereas this litter is mixed. Maybe it would be better if you waited until you could get a pure-bred Mal?
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Chris B and CaroleC like this.
    When you say (quote will be trained in bite/protection work.

Do you want the dog for Schutzhund /Ipo or trained as a Personal Protection Dog
    Either way you will need to wait until at least 8mths to get rough idea of temperament and not all dogs are suitable for this type of training regardless of breed.
  11. Maligator

Maligator New Member

Name:
    Madyson
    Moreover personal protection, we are training with a local police department with k9s. Around here you almost never see Mals, they favored us quickly.
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Police trained dogs are not the same as PPD training
    Police protection dogs mainly train in patterns and set routines.
    PPD are trained for everyday scenarios in a wide variety of locations with different people wearing hidden sleeves.
  13. Anthony tenthoff

Anthony tenthoff New Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Question for you. Have you thought about buying a mal that is already started on bite work. At this stage say 6 months to a year old you know a little more about there drive. From what I have read on here nether of the parents you mentioned are proven working dogs. If i was in your position I would find a breeder that has dogs on site that you can see and get a feel for there drive.