FEEDING 3 month old alaskan malamute? Diet

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by girald0, Jun 13, 2018.

?

Store bought or raw

1. Store

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Raw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. girald0

girald0 New Member

Name:
    laura

FEEDING 3 month old alaskan malamute?

Hello! I will soon be an owner of a 2 and a half month old malamute puppy, be aware i have never had a puppy son like that before so i am both excited and scared at the same time. For a long time, i just owned a small terrier. I have read everything about it, and i believe i am gonna be able to be an excellent mom. However, i have no idea what to feed him, I've heard you can feed them raw food or dry. But I'm not sure what kind of raw food : Vegetables, fruits, meats? Also what kind of dry food would you guys recommend? Do i buy him puppy food or right away 15+ month food? I am very lost. I would love if you guys would give me any advice for new moms and what i should expect or do or give him.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Laura - welcome to Breedia to you and your soon-to-be puppy from Tikva and me :039:

I cannot give advice about feeding as I am a raw feeder and have/had only small [not toy] dogs, but there are other Malamute and owners of larger/large breeds on the forum so hopefully someone will be along soon who knows far more than I do.

Do you know what the breeder of your pup has been feeding him on, and what s/he recommends?
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Feeding your pup is a personal choice, it’s great that you are asking advice from people who have different opinions
    I am not opposed to any diet,all I can say is that puppies need certain amounts of ingredients and store bought my be the easiest option, for now ( am I right Juli ) given you will have your hands full with other areas of puppy life !
    A good point mentioned by Juli, what is the pup already eating ?
    Exciting times ahead, let us know what you decide and if you have any photos please share them with us
    Philippa
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    There is no one fits all, the best dog food is the one that works for your dog and your budget every dog is different and what is good for one may not be for an other, some do good on the "cheap" food, some don't, same goes for the "expensive" food,

For large breeds it best to feed ‘large puppy or adult’ to stop them growing to fast which can cause joint problems.

If you decide to go for Raw, do lots of research as an unbalanced, poorly formulated raw diet could cause long term health problems.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @GsdSlave - you are so correct about Raw needing research and it takes far more time to sort out than just putting X amount of kibble in the dog's bowl.

It is necessary to know what is the correct balance and what supplements/vitamins might be needed. Necessary to know what your dog will or will not accept. And necessary to have the time to make sure your dog has everything s/he needs.

This is not for everyone and no way would I ever try to convince people that the way I feed is the best. It is the best for Tikva as it was for Pereg when I changed her from kibble to raw.

But this is just my personal experience and preference and it would not be for everyone and for every dog.
  7. girald0

girald0 New Member

Name:
    laura
    So I should buy adult food for my puppy? I have indeed read the are prone to joint/articulation problems. Would my puppy be able to digest adult food? And if yes, which brands are the best?
    oint