Any suggestions on how to curb a dog trying to throw his weight around? Behaviour

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

Any suggestions on how to curb a dog trying to throw his weight around?

Hello,

Briefly our dog is now 9 months old and is a holy terror. He runs around in circles, terrorizes the cat, barks at me incessantly, and has even nipped at my face just today (granted he was playing but still). Please please please let me know what I can do to correct this behavior. I know his behavior is my fault and I do love the little guy but he is trying my patience. Thank you for listening.

~Jessica
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Hi Jessica
    You must be exhausted & a little fed up !
    Does he do it all the time or more so at certain times ?
    What food does he eat, I’m wondering about him having a hyper activity reaction to it
    Is he crate trained, if not is it something you have thought about ?
    Philippa
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    He is on Taste of the Wild dog food. He only does it later in the afternoon around 5ish. He is crate trained but doesn't go in the crate long if at all. Thanks!
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I think it’s just general puppy behaviour which he should grow out of, until he does could you talk him out on the lead once he starts his “ crazy time “
  6. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Yes! I definitely need to walk him more...

Thanks!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tikva had diabolical episodes around that age so I bought a very small cage which I kept in the salon, and she would have to go in that for time out [I would not put her in her night crate during the day]. Five minutes and she was fine.

She still has what I call the puppy mad half hour, late afternoon/early evening, when she empties her toy box and throws toys all over the place, indoors and in the yard, but luckily the puppy nipping eventually stopped.
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sounds like the ‘zoomies (mad 5 mins) Most of my pups and youngsters have done it, did make me laugh.
    Mine used to bark a lot and sometimes growl, they would do a mad run round in circles or go from one room to the other luckily none got hurt but I used to stay out of the way, as I didn’t want to get bowled over, I did calm them down if it got to much.

It gets less as they get older but still happened from time to time. Look up dog zoomies on youtube and you'll find plenty of videos.
  9. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks so much!
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I agree, it is a fairly normal part of growing up. Short time-outs can work, whether that's in a cage or the lead popped on and she is ignored until she settles.

What time do you feed her? Have you changed her over to adult food rather than puppy?
  11. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I have not changed him to adult food. Do you think this would help? He eats 2 meals a day. One around 6 am and the other around 5-6 pm. Thank you so much for the advice.
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Sorry, I missed this until your reminder

Adult food usually has less protein and, yes, can sometimes help with over the top behaviour especially if the OTT behaviour is more prevalent after meals.

I take it the barking is his way of getting attention and, of course, it usually works because we have neighbours to consider. However, every time his barking works, it serves to reinforce it so he barks more the next time he wants you to 'play'. This is when walking out the room without making eye contact with him or saying anything can start to make a difference. At first, it seems like a never ending nightmare as you are continually walking out, but after a time you should start to notice that you have to do it less and less.

The key is not to interact until the barking stops
  13. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Ok. Thank you so much for your advice. Our previous dog was a Greyhound mix so he did not bark much. This one loves to bark. Thanks again!
  14. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    I feel your pain. My Little Man seems to be going through the terrible two's at the moment, where non of the usual methods that used to work to calm him are working right now. It is hard work, exhausting and am hoping he grows out of it soon?
  15. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Jager seems to have gotten worse with his barking and whining since I have began to leave the room when he begins the unwanted behavior. I have even taken him out to go do his business and of course he doesn't have to go...We have stepped up his exercise but I do not want to do too much as he is not used to it.

Just frustrated. I will try switching food to an adult formula and see how that goes.

Thank you for any and all advice. I know this thread is in 2 places and am sorry about that.

Have a great day!
  16. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    He's a determined fella. However, if you and your neighbours can put up with it, try to keep it up for at least another week and see if things are any better.

The fact that he has got worse with it says to me that it is more likely attention seeking than anything else and he hasn't quite worked out yet that his pestering won't work, but quiet will so he has upped his game. In other words, it's getting worse before it gets better.

It's really important not to say anything to him when you walk out and not to give any eye contact at all
  17. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Ok. Thank you very much. It really is attention seeking and he is rather needy. I do feel bad that I cannot give him all the attention he wants. It is a blessing and a curse that I work from home...

It does seem to get better if I ignore him.

The strange thing is he starts in around 4 pm every day. I am not sure why.