Feeding dogs coconut oil General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by who owns who, Sep 11, 2018.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc

Feeding dogs coconut oil

On another thread there was some discussion of feeding dogs coconut oil. I read a bit about it and I have a few questions for those that do this. I read 1tsp per 10 lbs of dog. My dogs are 80 lbs and 63 lbs., that would mean Bandit would get 2 2/3 tbsp and Katie Mae would get 2 + tbsp. Also read start out with 1/4 amount. Do you agree with these quantities and starting out with less? And over what period of time do I increase?

I have coconut oil in my kitchen as I cook with it because it can handle higher heat than other oils and I also use it for “oil pulling”, which is swishing it around in your mouth between your teeth to remove unwanted bacteria. I am doing this right now!

I put this here as it seems it would be useful for all dogs, not just my breed.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I’m watching with interest as it’s someth my hubby & I have talked about.
    I’m going to have to research “ oil pulling “ with that I’m guessing your oil is in liquid form, I have seen jars that are solid......I can picture you trying to swish that around your mouth ....NOT !
    I also believe you can use it on their skin for cetian things and rashes
    As I say, I watching for any advice
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Coconut oil goes solid white when cold - it changes to clear liquid when warm. I keep mine out all the time - it is better than a thermometer!

But even when solid, a few seconds in a microwave will liquefy it.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Mine have it however it comes, solid or melted, but I only use 1/2 teasp. (my two are 14.7 and 17k), as it is a saturated fat, and it is hard to keep a Beagle's weight down. I started with a full teaspoon when Eddie was having his bowel bleeds, (a scattergun approach, what didn't I try?), but it has become a treat which they don't want me to stop.
    I did try it using it on a toothbrush in the hope that it might help with their tendency to yeasty mouths, but found that it just clogged up in the brush.
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    If it’s solid I just pop it in my mouth and it softens up quickly. When I first started I found it gross if it wasn’t liquified but it doesn’t bother me anymore. I rinse with salt water after
  7. Doggystyle69

Doggystyle69 New Member

Name:
    Big Daddy
    Thanks! This is such an interesting theory! For humans, it burns fat, hydrates and gets rid of inflammation. It can also be used for our hair! Imagine if we treated our dogs the same! What a world!
  8. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    The AHA questions how healthy coconut oil is. They say due to it being high in saturated fats, it may contribute to heart disease. And I always wonder where we got these ideas of adding things such as coconut oil to a mostly carnivorous animals diet. In the wild, dogs wouldn't be eating coconuts. Why do we think they need it? I'm not trying to say it's bad, I'm just wondering why people feel the need to add all these odd things to a dog's diet or regimen.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That AHA report has been proven to be totally incorrect.

All dogs, like all humans, need some fat in their diet. In the wild, in certain areas, dogs do eat coconut flesh from fruit that has fallen and broken. And coconuts are a staple in the diets of certain people.
  10. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Yes there are arguments against what they presented. But it wasn't directly disproved. I can't say if they're correct. I am not a doctor or whatnot. I won't argue one way or the other.

I can't stand coconut anything and I never use it, so of course my dog doesn't get it. I just wonder if all these additions truly make our pets healthier. There aren't many (or any) true studies done that prove that all these additions to the diets of dogs helps them. Dogs were healthier in the olden days.

Our previous two dogs lived to be 15 and had few health issues until their later years. They ate nothing but regular dog food. But everyone who adheres to the new age of feeding dogs would tell me that what they ate was junk that leads to weight issues (THAT NEITHER OF THEM HAD) and early organ failure etc. My current dog is fed better food than them and he has weight issues and whatnot. He likely won't live as long as they did or be as healthy for as long.

Oftentimes I think these trends are just things we latch onto and follow because we think we are doing the best thing for them. There's nothing wrong with that, but so many of these "studies" and reports and advice and whatever just try and get people to buy costly stuff in high quantities and I'm always so leery of them.

Even veterinarians often cannot be trusted as it's part of their jobs to promote certain things and certain foods. A vet I took Nigredo to told me that grain free food is a ploy and a waste of money. I actually agree with that. But then she tried to sell me Science Diet dog food... Which wasn't grain free.