Gland Problems Questions

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Bob B, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Bob B

Bob B New Member

Name:
    BobCo

Gland Problems

A little help please. We have a 13 month Springer with anal gland problems. He releases about 3 times a day. Very soft stool. Manual release lasts for 2 weeks max. Thinking of switching food brands.

Anyone else have this issue?

Any food recommendations?

Thanks,
    Bob
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    What are you Ifeeding him ? my pups on royal canin and they have in Junior and adults I feed my boxers on it it's one of top brands in UK you pay a little more than than most bug 100 ^ worth it give it a try or James Wellbeloved also chat with your vet let me know how he gets on
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Anal gland issues can also be a symptom of something else going on often inflammation in the GI tract that is not allowing the glands to empty.
    Sometimes the problem is solved by adding fiber/roughage to his food, or something like Glandex Powder might help.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would say sort out the loose stool problem first. The pressure of a good solid motion going through should create enough pressure for the anal secretion to be voided at the same time that the motion is passed. Continual bowel looseness is not right, and it could be that your boy has a sensitivity, and might be better with a change of diet. The most common allergens are wheat and maize, so I would gradually switch him on to a good quality food with a clear protein source, which does not contain either of these ingredients, and see whether that produces an improvement.
    If your Springer will eat RAW meaty bones - such as chicken wings, or rib bones, these usually benefit dogs with anal gland problems - raw vegetables will also help, and carrots and cabbage centres make good chews.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Royal Canin, scores poorly on https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0060/royal-canin-medium-adult as it contains (Artificial additives/ maize/ wheat ect:
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Rugby1983 likes this.
    Yes, it scores very badly on All About Dog Food, and the ingredients read as if they are very artificial. For some reason it does have a good reputation for checking sloppy poo though.
    They sponsor a lot of dog shows, so I know it lasts forever when used for tit bits ......
  8. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    If that s the case why did vet and pets at home advisers tell me to give this to puppies ?
  9. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    James wellbeloved I be going on soon as pups are past 6 months that the advice I got each too there own and there is way worse out there than royal canin is one of the most expensive dry food out there
  10. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
  11. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
  12. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Vets don’t actually get that much training on diet.. Can’t tell you why the pet food store told you it was good, unless maybe you told them the vet suggested it so they went along with it. I wouldn’t feed it to my dogs and we have it here in the states too. Maybe they suggested it because of his loose poo, as @CaroleC said it has a reputation for helping that. Just because something has a high price tag doesn’t mean it’s good..
  13. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    Maybe as my pup had problems before if you remember he is 100% fine since he bin on it maybe this is what he means as for pets at home I said the vet said I need large dog breed pup food one of the top expensive brands and they said this one as you see it's over £40 which is one of the most expensive I read a lot about james wellbeloved I be feeding them both that wen they are bigger not going too change Rocco over again as he had bad start with food this one he is happy with and put weight back on with it now
  14. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    Wen 6 months i go with jameswellbeloved
  15. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Rugby1983 likes this.
    Can’t blame you for sticking with what’s working but maybe do some more research and see what other good foods there are for large breed pups
  16. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    Like I said last post I be going on james wellbeloved 100% i wait till he is 12 weeks
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Rugby1983 likes this.
    Because they make a bigger profit on it than cheaper brands. And Royal Canin do a lot of advertising, promoting shows etc so people think that it must be good.
  18. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    Must be the most expensive bad brand out there then as it more than some of the good brands lol I change wen he 12 weeks not worth changing him now as he not got diarrhoea anymore on it and I might as well finish the bag as only got on Monday
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It is nowhere near the most expensive. Have a look at Canagan and Orijen prices for example.
    There are many better dog foods in your price range, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved, Millies Wolfheart, Wainwrights, Barking Heads and Taste of the Wild are just a few examples. Other Akita owners will have their own preferences, but if what he is on is suiting him at present, then by all means stick to it. It does rate higher than Pedigree Chum.
  20. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    Carole please read what I said I said must be the most expensive BAD brand not most expensive good breed
  21. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster