Does your vet sell dog food? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by CaroleC, Oct 6, 2018.

?

Does your vet sell non prescription dog food?

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

75.0%
  1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

Does your vet sell dog food?

This is just a query, but apart from a brief period, (I think it was in the 80's), following the Hills launch in the UK, I have never had a vet that sold pet foods, (prescription diets excepted). I certainly don't think my current practice would want their clinical work to be interrupted in order to serve customers - the staff get grumpy enough if you don't give them enough warning when collecting repeat drugs!
    I can see that it might provide an additional service in a remote community, and there may be a hidden connection when a vet clinic is located inside a superstore, but generally speaking, does your vet sell non-prescription dog food?
    If so, what makes do they offer? Please add in comments on the thread.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    One time only when one of Pereg's results came back not perfect. I do not remember if it was the BUN or Creatinine, but Ram had some Hills prescription tins and yes, because I trusted him I bought a few tins. Got them home, read the ingredients, and they went straight back. It was someone on Dogsey who pointed me what supplements Pereg needed, not Hills prescription tins, and her next blood test [and those following] were all perfect. No thanks to Hills.

Ram does not sell, or recommend any dog food, prescription or otherwise now. Certain medication, like Pereg's Phenobarbitone yes. But they are special medication for special reasons, and they are human not canine meds.

But you know I am a raw feeder so really I cannot comment on the subject as I am obviously biased. And I can not change now.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Mine don’t sell non-prescription food, but they have a large corner in the waiting room where they sell leads/toys /dental/treats Ect:

I have noticed over the years just how much the veterinary profession has changed the small independent vets are getting less and less and more Corporatisation/ Franchisee owned practices appearing and seem to be selling all sorts.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    When I was working, I had many of the vet nurses (and a couple of vets) bring their pups for training and in a couple of cases, behaviour problems.

The one that stands out is the Jack Russell that was causing real problems. A change of diet (to eliminate allergens) and this was a completely different dog. The vet nurse told her boss and showed the results. The vet immediately stocked with the food and recommended it where allergy was suspected as he said the tests they did were often inconclusive and the elimination diet worked better.

So, yes, this vet sold non-prescription food, but only 'pushed' it where a problem was suspected.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I guess I am lucky then as as far as I know there are no corporate/franchise owned practices anywhere near here. Maybe there are in the big city but not here. And oh am I happy with Ram. I trust him and he trusts me, but I did buy a special toothbrush and tube of toothpaste from him after Lexi had her first dental treatment - and her bad teeth were not my fault - she was born with a predisposition to bad teeth.

Do not need it now, of course.

But Ram has a small and excellent practice, and long may it last. So says Tikva and so say I.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My vet's are an independent practice, but they do have surgeries on three sites, and the vets rotate between them. I have only seen them supply things along the lines of Buster Collars and Logic gel, but as there is no display, I don't know what else they might stock. I have bought the Oralade hydration drink from them, but that would be a routine item for them to carry when animals are not able to eat.
    When Eddie first started passing blood, (five years now !), we suspected a food allergy, and Vicky did suggest Burns Pork and Potato as a novel protein source, but she didn't push it, it was just a suggestion.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Rosie's vet is a little country practice. Prices are very reasonable. I really do miss Paolo though. He was a lovely vet who took care of Sam when I had him. He'd come out to the house (usually cost me £50) to tend to him and didn't prescribe unnecessary drugs - only the ones that he really thought would help. He often suggested alternatives to try and places to get them from. Unfortunately, he left to go back home to Spain :(

This little practice is good and is not out to make a quick buck.

I had a really bad experience with the large practice in town with my little Jade. I still feel guilty about taking her to a totally inept vet who made her final couple of minutes a nightmare. An experience that was unjust for her and a long lasting nightmare for us. We didn't know the options for vets at that point so took her to the most professional looking. A decision I will always regret
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris - I know exactly how Pereg just went to sleep and I am convinced that is the way Ram did it. It took seconds. But I miss her so much - I love Tikva, oh how I love her, but I still call her Pereg at times, even now.
  10. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I go to a practice which has been passed down from father to son, although father who is now supposed to be retired is often there and is sometimes called in to give a second opinion.

The practice has it's own pharmacy which as well as prescription drugs also sells non prescription items such as shampoo, toys, collars and leads. They also stock Happy Dog dry food for dogs and cats, but I've never been put under any pressure to buy them for my two/
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That sounds really good Barbara - the thought of someone telling me what to feed - well there is only Ram and he knows better now to even try!

I have said it before and will say it again. Much as I love Olga, my GP - I trust Ram, my vet, more than I trust her. And she has yet again left me with two months missing of one chronic BP meds, and three months of my emergency allergy meds.

Yach - who cares.

But Ram - he would always get me as many Phenobarbitone that I asked for, for Pereg, and my GP keeps forgetting to give me the correct amount of BP and emergency allergy meds.

Go figure it.
  12. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I’m pretty sure my vet doesn’t sell non prescription food. They do sell prescription food but don’t have any in the waiting area. They do have a shelf in the waiting area with various shampoos and dental chews and a few other things that I don’t remember what they are. I have gotten a de-skunking shampoo there some years ago that actually worked really well. I like my vet, he and his wife (who is a vet tech there) purchased the practice from my old vet when he retired. He had already been working there when they bought it. Over the years he’s had other vets work there, all of whom I liked and seemed competent.

I would never take my dogs to a vet connected to a big box pet store... I don’t even like to shop at the big box pet store. I took a training class with bandit there and was thoroughly unimpressed. I didn’t bother taking Katie Mae to a class, just did it on my own. Not worth the expense and travel time. If I have an issue I’d just ask you all or have a session or few with a private trainer
  13. Coloseo

Coloseo New Member

Name:
    Kevin
    My vet sells dog food. I noticed one of the dog foods science diet had corn gluten as the first ingredient, I decided not to buy the food he recommended since i tried 5 different foods and my yorkie will not eat the food, she only would eat tuna. Tuna would get smelly and nasty when it cakes on the floor. I decided to purchase the dog food recommended for Cane Corsos. My Cane Corso Breeder made this nice video and watched it, he said this was great for picky dogs and the best food he has used in 10 years of raising this breed. I have two dogs one is a yorkie and one is a cane corso. This dog food is great and both my dogs love it. I have never found a great dog food with human grade ingredients with such a good rich smell, and they never had any recalls. Here is the video...