New puppy Introductions

Discussion in 'Your Introductions' started by Liz bix, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Liz bix

Liz bix New Member

Name:
    Liz bix

New puppy

Hi I m Liz and have just acquired a new border puppy. He s 12 weeks very quiet and traumatised at the moment, will it take long for him to come out of his shell x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Bit more background info might help.
  4. Liz bix

Liz bix New Member

Name:
    Liz bix
    Sorry he s 12 weeks as I said, met his mother very friendly lively bitch, now he s at home, he s hiding in his bed, scared when picked up, hasn’t eaten or voided, as yet. Been home 6 hours am I panicking too much
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Puppies act differently, everyone and everything is new to him,( was he kenneled or kept in the house.? ) I wouldn’t push him he will come round in time just sit by his bed and quietly talk to him, offering him something tasty.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Hi and welcome.

Little guys World has just turned upside down and all he knows and loves has been left behind. As yet, he has no reason to trust you, but he will.

Don't try too hard. Rather than trying to encourage him to come to you, sit on the floor with a toy and just roll it between your hand or toss in in the air and catch it. You could also try to gently toss a treat in his direction, but don't look at him or try to encourage him to take it.

In other words, let him do things in his own time. Once he takes that initial step, he will quickly get to know and love you
  7. Liz bix

Liz bix New Member

Name:
    Liz bix
    Yes I understand, just thought he might be a little more curious about his surroundings, absolutely no interest in food although he did have some water. Perhaps I m too anxious, not had a new puppy for a long time.
  8. Liz bix

Liz bix New Member

Name:
    Liz bix
    thanks, think I m worrying too much! He came from a kennel but breeder seemed very conscientious, and he hasn’t been in a home environment I guess
  9. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I’m guessing that everything is so frightening for him
    Carry on your daily duties around the house and I’m sure he will settle soon, he will be missing everything he ever had before
    Do you have other animals or children in the same house, I’m only asking to get a feel of his environment
    Philippa
  10. Liz bix

Liz bix New Member

Name:
    Liz bix
    Hi sorry not been on site for a bit. He s much more settled now although still pretty nervous does not like going out. Difficult to reward as not food orientated . No children no other pets x
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What kind of treats are you using? You need to experiment with what treat he responds to, try pieces of hot dogs, cheese, cooked liver, chicken, etc.

I would spend a lot of time just having fun with him, get him to play with toys etc: I think for a lot of fearful/ timid dogs if you can redirect them to something fun that’s half the battle, always take some really yummy treats/toy where ever you go, the main thing is to do things in small doses little steps at a time so as not to overwhelm him.
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    There are many ways to reward. Food (obviously), toys, play, fuss, even different smells. Find what he likes and use it.

Does he like to snuggle up to you or for you to fuss him? Does he like to play?

Both can be used to encourage him to enjoy the big outdoors
  13. Liz bix

Liz bix New Member

Name:
    Liz bix
    Yes he loves snuggles quite affectionate but of course very short attention span at 13 weeks. Think we re progressing but as you say it’s finding what he likes x
  14. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    He won’t be able to resist those hot dog sausages that either come in a tin or you can find them in the chilled sections of any supermarket, they smell so strong they are a great way to get any dogs attention !
  15. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Foodwise:

Small cubes of cheese
    Small cubes of corned beef
    Hot dog sausages
    Liver (baked in oven to dry it out, then cut small)
    If he's fed kibble, put some in a plastic bag overnight with a clove of garlic to add smell
    My old lad used to like apples above all else

It really is just trial and error, but I think you'll find if he's nervous outdoors, he won't be interested in food treats while out. That's when being inventive helps. Nervous dogs tend to like cuddles as they both reward and reassure.

Keep your voice happy and jolly, but don't talk his head off ( :) )

Play is your friend with a nervous dog. It can be used to relax him, reward him, distract him and just for fun
  16. Liz bix

Liz bix New Member

Name:
    Liz bix
    Thanks for the food suggestions, once he gets out he improves, he s very laid back I think, he went out for a short walk this am, having slept all night, he s very good like that, been up for 2.5 hours, went back to bed. Happy to stay in his bed! I. Letting him dictate his own pace so left him to decide when he wants to get up! Trying to alternate bouts of play and walks with sleep and rest in a routine, hopefully he ll get the hang of things, he s an adorable affectionate pup just very sensitive I think x