Malamute Puppy & adult Siberian Husky Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by sas171, Oct 29, 2018.

1. sas171

sas171 New Member

Name:
    ÀG

Malamute Puppy & adult Siberian Husky

Dear Friends,

I own a senior male Siberian Husky (9 years old) and will be adding a male malamute puppy (3 months old) in December.
    My Siberian Husky is very calm and has been friendly to all breeds and has never been aggressive towards ANY dog.
    I have been told that Alaskan Malamutes are or can be same sex aggressive and I am a bit worried about this.
    My Husky is a family dog and we have NEVER caged him, he is an important part of our life. I would like my Malamute to be the same, never caged and free at home.
    Can any one advise me on the above subject, I don't want my Malamute to hurt my husky when he gets older.
    Thanking you
    Anil
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    sas171 and CaroleC like this.
    One cannot predict how they will get along as the pup matures.
    I think it depends on the individual dogs, Akitas are known to be same sex aggressive yet I had two male Akitas and male Gsd, all entire live happily together with no problems.

If it worries you that much then best to get a bitch puppy to be on the safe side.
  4. sas171

sas171 New Member

Name:
    ÀG
    Thank you
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I have 2 Akitas, a 25 month old male and an almost 1 year old female. Previously I had a male Akita who had only 1 dog friend, his brother. They remained friends their whole lives even when the didn’t see each other for a year because his brother had knee surgery. We always picked up bones and toys so they’d have nothing to be possessive about. I would watch him sometimes when his owner was out of town and they HAD to be fed separately but would sleep up against each other sometimes. My current 2 share all their toys and are fed separately. I personally would err on the side of caution and get a female. I’d think you’d want your older male to enjoy his senior years without worrying.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  6. sas171

sas171 New Member

Name:
    ÀG
    Hi Marc
    I actually had asked about Malamutes not Akita, however i believe they could be somewhat alike. I am already confirmed to get one Male Malamute 3 months old who will be home in mid december, my 9 year old husky (who is turning 10 in Jan 2019) i can see i very lonely as his sister of 9 years passed, they were very very close.
    Now the challenge is i believe is to socialize my Husky with the Malamute Puppy, I dont have cages at home as we are a family and my pets are family members, i dont keep any dogs apart. I want them to play and hang out as much as they can.
    My breeder did tell me to prepare a cage for the Malamute, but i believe that will cause problems as my husky is free to roam all day while the mal is caged and only allowed out for a few hours, i believe this may be a problem when the mal grows, as it might be jealous of the husky who has complete freedom at home.
    I would like them to be together for most of the day, bar the feeding issue where they will be separated and toys as well.
    I appreciate your comments very much and look forward for your advise.
    Thanking you
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I know you weren’t talking about Akitas but figured there might be enough similarities for my experiences to be relevant. The general rule is its easier to have 2 of opposite sex but there are always exceptions to the rule, like my past Akitas life long friendship with his male littermate and GsdSlave’s 2 male Akitas and male GSD, all unaltered and all got along. I do think dogs are pack animals and it is good for them to have a canine companion if possible. I hope all goes well with your new pup!!
  8. sas171

sas171 New Member

Name:
    ÀG
    Thank you for the Input, much appreciated....