New Owner :) Introductions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Sarados_123, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Sarados_123

Sarados_123 New Member

Name:
    AkitaDasha

New Owner :)

Hi all,

I’m due to pick up an Akita pup next month and I’m super excited about it! It’s my first time owning an Akita. Previous to the Akita I had a German Shepard and a Boxer.

I was hoping to get some tips from owners in training the dog.

Anything I should be aware about.
    I currently reside in Toronto, Canada and winter is amongst us. I heard these dogs thrive within winter. At what age would be suitable to expose the dog at snowy, winters conditions?

I’ve attached photos from the breeder! I can’t wait to meet her!

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What a gorgeous pup.:049::049::049:

They are definitely not collies/labs/gsds and need slightly different handling, but they need a confident and firm hand.
    Correction based training doesn't work, It needs to be positive training but with clear communications of what is expected and acceptable and not.
    They get bored very easily, and wonder what’s in it for and have a very low tolerance for repetition, if they think it's a waste of time to "sit" or "stay" one more time, they will simply not do it’ most don't do balls or fetch, might the first time you throw it, but if you throw it away again you obviously don't want it!
    It’s a case of every day regular short training sessions.
    Temperaments vary depending on breeding and environment but they are by nature a dominant breed with high prey drive, although there is always the exception they are generally known to have unreliable recall, and not good with strange dogs.

They enjoy carrying things around in their mouth, including your wrist, mine used to gently hold my wrist and take me to what they wanted Its not an aggressive act just an endearing trait.
  4. Sarados_123

Sarados_123 New Member

Name:
    AkitaDasha
    Much appreciated for the valuable information!
    Is there any training books specifically for Akita's that you might be aware of that are good?

Thanks! :D
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    @GsdSlave is spot on with her comments. My two current Akitas are the exception to the rule of not liking to play fetch. They like chasing a tennis ball or heavy knotted rope, bone shaped kong toy. I had to teach Bandit to return the ball to me and drop it as he wanted me to chase him for it. Now he will drop it in my hand (so I don’t have to lean over. It.took a long time for him to except that I wasn’t going to chase him, anymore like I did when he was little. I’d just walk away. His little sister just watched and immediately picked up on what was going on. Bandit never lets her get what’s tossed... so I let her chase him a few times and then I throw 2 things, tossing hers after he’s going after his.

I would say I knew way more what to expect this time around then when I had my first Akita, but there’s way more good info online now.

Your pup will love the snow. He’s got a fur coat. My brothers male Akita would sleep outside in his dog house even when snowing in the winter, he didn’t like sleeping inside. He knew how to open the sliding glass door and would open it in the middle of the night. He didn’t shut it...