Aggressive growling and biting General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by My Henry boy, Dec 18, 2018.

1. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry

Aggressive growling and biting

Henry is a 2 1/2 month old french, he is really the sweetest boy, but he also has an aggressive side. I know that pups go through the teething stage but Henry bites like crazy and growls when we tell him no. He has too many toys , yet always wants the hands and feet. Ive tried yelling “ ouch “ “no” even a little squeal , and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ryan Olivas

Ryan Olivas New Member

Name:
    Ryan Olivas
    Tricky, have you tried picking your dog up when he does this?
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Are you sure this is aggressive growling and not playful (excitement) growling?

Hands and feet are great toys for puppies because they move and they make our owners play
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  6. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry
    I’ve done that , and he goes a little crazy but he does calm down. Maybe I’ll have to keep doing that for a while.
  7. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry
    Very true, plus he’s just a pup he might just be overly excited .. appreciate the feedback!
  8. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I’m sure it’s just puppy biting, as annoying as it is.
    Different breeds behave differently as pups, It’s a really annoying phase I’m afraid....patience, patience, patience
    It is only one of many phases, please don’t be tempted to punish as this will create further behavioural problems
    Just a point, in my younger days we couldn’t buy/have a puppy before 12 weeks old, during this extra time with their “ mother “ it would be her who dealt with the boisterous behaviour including the puppy biting
    It will pass........and then there will be another phase to deal with
    This is what we take on when we bring a puppy into our lives !
  9. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry
    You’re right , Patience is key is here and of course I never get after him because I’m pretty sure and I’m crossing my fingers this is just a stage :)
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Stay calm, and turn yourself into a statue whenever he gets giddy and bites. The game stops when the intensity rises. Don't flap your hands or arms at him, just freeze.
    If he is teething, deflect the urge to bite onto a carrot, a rope chew, or a rolled or knotted frozen cloth.
    Teach your puppy that they will only get toys or treats if they take them from you gently.
    Be patient, it is a puppy's nature to test their environment with their mouths. This stage will pass.
  11. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry
    So I’m sure it’s the puppy phase but Henry really is a special one. He is still biting everything which is normal and fine but I tell him NO loudly and he still won’t let go. I pinched his lip , won’t budge. I flick his nose, won’t budge. I’m starting to think he knows I’m a weak parent:eek:
  12. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry
    151F0FF9-4202-4C62-AFEB-94ED63B1276B.jpeg But he’s a little angel when he sleeps :)
  13. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Everyone here has a problem with how I deal with biting puppies so I won't rehash it here. My method doesn't harm dogs at all and has always worked for me but people here call it "bullying" because it isn't the most gentle method.

I will say that thumping their noses or pinching their lips doesn't really work. They just tend to turn it into a game and since your hand has to be near their mouths to do that, it truly just encourages them to use their mouths against you.

Yelping like a dog is totally absurd as we are not dogs and this doesn't usually work. Freezing and allowing yourself to be bitten IMO is also ridiculous and can be hard to do if it HURTS. Giving a biting dog a toy is silly to me as well. I'm not going to reward a dog that is biting me.

Your dog will walk over you only if you allow him to. If you aren't completely serious when you train him, he won't take you seriously. Any laxity or allowing him to get away with things teaches no discipline.
  14. My Henry boy

My Henry boy New Member

Name:
    Henry
    So
    So how would you go about it? Its funny how the dog listens to my boyfriend though, when he yells a sturdy NO or spanks him.
  15. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James
    Hows he doing now any developments what is he like with children the same or is he moee gentle
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Puppies bite it's there way of communication,Gsd’s are very bitey pups, but I've never needed to hit or physically correct a puppy to get it to stop biting me.

Puppies like adult dogs, learn through repetition, it takes time /patience the goal is not so much to stop them from biting, but to teach them bite inhibition/ bite control, no one method will work for all and there are numerous ways to teach them to understand what's acceptable, main point is teaching the pup what is allowable/acceptable.
  17. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James
    Could also be the weakrr thibg like you mentioned my boy listens to me more than my partner but strangely enough when girls shout and are assertive he listen to them very well , when we had problems with our gsp male when he used lay down on the floor i would lay infront of him nose on nose and then put my head on top of his and sort of pin his head down with mine, someone told me once or i read somewhere the alpha dog would be above the others and this seemed to help a great deal with him obviously diffetent breed and people will definately disagree with this but evrry dog is different and have there owm methods my old boss would say to bite him back lol he had a rottweiler that was like a lap cat but obv tjat method worked for him havent done it personally but hope you sort this out
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pinning a dog's head down with your own sounds like a recipe for getting your face bitten to me, but I do not believe in Alpha Theory, or their methods. Each to his own.
  19. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James
    Oh definately not saying for every dog , your right definately a recipe for a bite, and also i appreciate not your cup of tea or a method you would adopt , after i said it i cant remember if i was infront or used to sort of lay on him from behind, and do it and im not sure exactly why i did it but i remember someone saying you shouldnt go over a dogs shoulders from behind or something aling the lines,

Everrybody has a method or a way of doimg things that works for them, touch wood ive been lucky and not had nippy dogs obviously my 6 month old frenchie is playful and will jump for my hands but i play with him with my hands as well as my toys but when my fingers are in his mouth he wont bite or nip me or for that matter the girls not intentionally anyway,

for him i made sure from his first interaction he knew to be gentle with them and the baby and i can honestly say im chuffed with him, my neice was over yesterday and she is only 16 months and she fed him a treat with the tiniest bit pokingout of her tiny hand and he was brilliant still can't work out how he managed to getit thats how little was showing

Ran off topic there slightly apologies :D
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I think you are very lucky not to have been bitten,
    The Alpha theory has been debunked, and the whole dominance theory is very old school.
    Even the person who studied wolves and came up with the original theory of the alpha now says his entire theory is garbage.
    https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/14_12/features/Alpha-Dogs_20416-1.html
  21. Challis87

Challis87 New Member

Name:
    James
    Think im obv just lucky i did it with a GSP and not a domerman :p , like i mentioned i dont think i had been told do it by anybody id either read it or heard it somewhere ir misheard as case may have been lol, and wasnt for one minute suggesting try it with a nipoy dog our GSP wasn't biting or nipping when i did it