Thoughts on free spay clinics Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Margo8478, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Brunniebabe likes this.

Thoughts on free spay clinics

I worked at animal hospitals for many years, I currently don’t. I adopted a dog from a rescue who was rescued from the meat market in China, this rescue said they would pay for the spay. Now she says they take them to mobile free spay clinics, no pre operative bloodwork, just the bare minimum. If it was a neuter I wouldn’t think anything of it since they are less evasive and relatively easy. But since my female is getting spayed I’m hesitant about this and thinking about just taking her to my own vet to have the procedure done. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Hi!! I had considered taking my pup to the local aspca shelter for a low cost spay, $200. When I went in to ask about it they only couid do a few large breed dogs a few times a week due to lack of space, and they didn’t really have a waiting list. You had to call in EVERY morning to try and get an appointment. More or less useless, I don’t know why they even bother to advertise it or list it on their website.. I don’t know if they do pre-op bloodwork, I never got that far. Also they don’t keep them overnight there. I ended up taking her to my regular vet, where they knew her and she was comfortable because I took her in every month to weigh her. She thinks it’s mostly a place to get attention and treats!! I’d say if you can afford to take her to your regular vets it’s probably a good idea.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    First of all, good on you for taking on one of these poor souls. I hope she can soon forget all about her nightmare. I'm not certain but I think that it is difficult to find charity funded spaying in the UK. I think you might have to be in receipt of state benefits, and be able to use the clinics of organisations such as the PDSA.
    Most breed and major rescue organisations seem to spay prior to rehoming, but my late Tweed came from a council-funded Dogs Home, and did come with a voucher to be used towards the cost of her spay. This had to be carried out at their nominated vet. To the best of my knowledge, there was no prior blood testing, but she was fine.
    I think the adoption fee charged might be the major factor. Pay £100 or less and fund your own girl's spay, or pay twice that amount and it is likely to have be already been done.
  5. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Thanks! I laid an adoption fee of $500 which includes the spay, the rescues normally get them done at a discount at animal hospitals. However they rescued so many dogs from China and it costs so much to ship them, they are taking the puppies to these free clinics. I think ill just end up taking her to my own Vet and laying out of pocket for piece of mind. Thanks again for your input!
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Brunniebabe likes this.
    Would love to see a picture of her when she arrives. It is sad to see how many of these dogs are stolen (?) pets, - and so many pedigrees! This dreadful trade HAS to end.
  7. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    15828EDA-3729-48F7-89C7-AFB9FB7F6C16.jpeg A9CA9074-36B2-4CA4-A66A-0519BA636966.jpeg
  8. RunswithCatahoulas

RunswithCatahoulas New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Brunniebabe likes this.
    Beautiful pup, both of them!
  9. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478
    Brunniebabe likes this.
    Thanks! Phoebe ( my China girl) is the best puppy I have ever had! She arrived when she was 4 months old and was so well behaved and never had an accident! The other guy Max typical puppy haha
  10. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Maybe things are done differently here... But the pets that weren't spayed/neutered before I got them were done by local vets. None of them got pre operative bloodwork. Two female cats (one now dead due to an accident, the other still alive and extremely old) and a female Rottie ages ago (poisoned by a neighbor). None had any issues. I don't think it's customary here to do blood work before a spray on a young animal? I've never seen it done. Oh and they've NEVER EVER kept an animal overnight. They call you when the animal is mostly awake and you take them home. They don't even put bell collars or anything on them.
  11. berry

berry New Member

Name:
    dot
    Hi @Margo8478 don't know if you've had her spayed yet. But have to be on Benefits to go to PDSA and give what ever you can afford. The vets won't do a blood test unless you want one. When ours had to have a operation, we would take them in at 8.30 am. They would call us in the afternoon when they know that they can go home. Sometimes if we had to see a vet we would have to pick them up at 5 pm.:)
  12. Brunniebabe

Brunniebabe New Member

Name:
    Gail
    berry likes this.
    When I lived at home with my parents many years back..i had two jack russells both step sisters to one another and I had them done at the vets and also Bruno when he had prostrate trouble and to cure it I had him done also.

@Margo they're so cute and adorable and thanks for sharing :)